What causes cancer? While we definitely don’t know everything that can trigger this disease, what is clear is that more people are dealing with this disease. According to the National Cancer Institute, approximately 39.6 percent of men and women will be diagnosed with cancer at some point in their lives. (1) Previous research shows that genetics account for only about half of all cancers, suggesting environmental exposures and socioeconomic factors may also play a role. Cancer has quickly risen to one of the leading causes of death, but knowing your risk can help you avoid this devastating diagnosis.
Obesity, poor diet, hormonal imbalance and chronic inflammation are all well-known causes of cancer. But some cancer-causers aren’t so obvious. What if I told you that daily exposures and seemingly harmless habits could actually increase your risk of cancer? Here are some of the most surprising things linked to cancer …
What Causes Cancer? Here Are Unexpected Cancer Causers
1. Where you live. A 2017 study published in the journal Cancer found that in the United States, counties with the poorest quality air, water, land, built environment and sociodemographic factors face increased incidence of cancer. Poor air quality and the built environment (presence of major highways, availability of public transit and housing) correlated most strongly with high cancer rates. These findings applied to both men and women, with prostate and breast cancer most strongly associated with poor environment. (2) Other research tells us that minority neighborhoods face a higher risk of cancer due to air pollution. (3)
2. Scented candles and air fresheners. Researchers measured levels of “volatile organic chemicals” in six houses in York, England, over the course of five days. They asked each resident to note the scented candles, air fresheners and cleaning products they used — including how often they used them. Then, they tested the air in each home. Limonene — a synthetic chemical used to create citrus smells, turned out to be the number one culprit detected. Unsurprisingly, the houses using the most scented products tested positive for the highest amounts of limonene.
More research is needed before considering this data conclusive, but when limonene is released into the air, it reacts with ozone to create formaldehyde, which has been linked to a number of different cancers — including myeloid leukemia and nasopharyngeal cancer. (4) The dangers of synthetic scents range beyond cancer, too. Fake fragrances are linked to hormone chaos, asthma and other serious health issues.
How to avoid it: By reducing your use of scented products, you can reduce the amount of limonene (and therefore formaldehyde) exposure. (5) Limonene isn’t the only ingredient to be weary of. Try avoiding any product that lists fragrance, parfum, phthalates, DEP, DBP or DEHP as an ingredient. According to the Breast Cancer Fund, avoiding synthetic scents is one of the main ways to help yourself. (6)
3. Happy hour. In 2016, Danish researchers published a study linking increased alcohol consumption and breast cancer risk. Researchers found that women who increased the amount of alcohol they drank over a five-year period faced a higher risk of breast cancer. However, the same study found a lower risk of heart disease in the women who drank more. (7) Luckily, there are better alternatives to lowering your risk of heart disease, including daily exercise, eating a nutrient-rich, healthy diet and managing stress.
Besides breast cancer, researchers also linked alcohol to head and neck cancer, esophageal cancer, liver cancer and colorectal cancer. (8) Why does alcohol pose these negative effects? Our bodies metabolize ethanol in alcoholic beverages into acetaldehyde, which can damage DNA and proteins in the body. Alcohol can also trigger oxidation in the body, further damaging DNA, proteins and fats. Impaired nutrient absorption and increased levels of estrogen may also be to blame. (9)
4. Sawdust. Here’s one you may have never heard of before. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classified wood dusts as human carcinogens, too. One study observed furniture workers and other workers exposed to wood dust were more likely to develop a form of nasal cancer called adenocarcinoma. Hardwood dusts, including beech and oak, pose the highest risk. You can control your exposure to wood dust through well designed ventilation systems and/or respiratory protection. Thankfully, The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) in the U.S. developed guidelines for local ventilation systems for different woodworking equipment. Previous studies now show higher exposure levels than the levels seen today. But regardless, be sure to wear a respirator or mask certified to protect you from fine wood dust particles. (10)
5. Food packaging. What causes cancer? Food, right? We often hear that our dietary choices impacts cancer risk, but the packaging may also play a role. Fast-food and fast food packaging like wrappers and boxes often contain perfluorinated chemicals. Also known as PFCs and PFASs, these grease- and stain-repellent linings in packaging easily migrate from the packaging and into food. These chemicals are linked to everything from cancer and developmental issues to reproductive problems, impaired immune function and other health effects. (11)
How to avoid it: While eating out, it may be extremely difficult to avoid perfluorinated chemicals, but you can try to eat fresh meals at home as much as possible. Also avoid paper plates and other tableware — it’s often coated in the same grease-proofing chemicals. (So are most microwavable popcorn bags, so opt for the old-fashioned stovetop kind, too.)
6. Certain sunscreens. While exposure to too much sunlight damage may cause cancer, overusing the wrong type of sunscreen also possess its own risks. Benzophenone-3 (or oxybenzone), a common ingredient in sunscreens, produces free radicals, which can trigger DNA damage and cancer growth. The FDA is limiting benzophenone-3 to 6 percent — and hasn’t outright banned the chemical — because of what the agency calls its effectiveness in protecting against UV rays. (12)
How to avoid it: Check out this list of the best sunscreens. And make it a point to read sunscreen labels and avoid purchasing any that contain harsh chemicals such as para amino benzoic acid, octyl salicyclate, cinoxate, dioxybenzone, phenylbenzimidazole, homosalate, menthyl anthranilate, octocrylene, methoxycinnamate, parabens and, of course, oxybenzone. To avoid any of these harmful ingredients, you can even make your own homemade sunscreen with essential oils, coconut oil, shea butter and non-nano zinc oxide.
7. Lack of sunlight. According to researchers at Moores Cancer Center at the University of California, San Diego, approximately 250,000 cases of colorectal cancer and 350,000 cases of breast cancer could be prevented worldwide by increasing levels of vitamin D3. Researchers examined the association between vitamin D and cancer using satellite measurements of sun and cloud cover. They took that info and analyzed blood serum levels of vitamin D3. In the end, researchers found an inverse correlation between serum vitamin D and the risk of colorectal and breast cancers, meaning the less vitamin D, the higher the risk. (13) Although too much sunlight can be harmful to the skin, the sun is the best source of vitamin D. Just don’t overdo it, and remember to get your vitamin D levels checked regularly.
How to avoid it: There are a number of ways to soak up the sun and get your daily dose of vitamin D. You can take a weekend getaway to enjoy the benefits of camping, go for a run outside, simply practice earthing, start a garden, bike, focus on swim workout benefits at an outdoor pool and so much more.
8. Viruses and bacteria. While viruses and bacteria pose serious short-term risks, some also pose long-term health effects. Viruses like the Epstein-Barr virus and HIV are linked to cancer through a number of studies. Researchers believe that at least 95 percent of the population is generally impacted by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) by adulthood. EBV is most known for causing mononucleosis, or “mono,” the “kissing disease,” but most EVB infections aren’t noticeable — even when active in the body. Most people suffer no symptoms or immediate consequences. EBV remains dormant throughout life until triggered by anything from exposure pesticides or mold. Nutritional deficiencies, injury, heavy metal exposure and mental trauma can also bring a dormant virus back to life. In a 2016 study, researchers found that breast cells bonded to the Epstein Barr virus and transformed into an aggressive cancer. For this reason, researchers concluded EBV may increase the rate of the growth of malignant breast cancer. (14)
Research also shows that individuals with HIV face a higher risk of developing Kaposi’s sarcoma, non-Hodgkin lymphoma and cervical cancer. (15) In fact, these are often called “AIDS-defining conditions” because if someone with HIV also has one of these conditions, it may signify the development of AIDS.
9. Working the night shift. Nearly 15 percent of Americans work the night shift, and according to a number of large studies, this late-night work may increase cancer risk in some people. In a study of mice, MIT researchers found that two genes tasked with controlling cells’ circadian rhythm — the 24-hour cycle that regulates when we go to sleep and when we wake up — also function as tumor suppressors.
Given that the body’s central circadian rhythm (also known as the body’s “master clock”) works primarily in response to light and darkness in the environment, night shifts interfere with the body’s natural circadian rhythm. In the study, researchers divided mice into two groups; one group of mice went through a normal light schedule (12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness). Researchers exposed the other group to an extra 8 hours of light every 2 to 3 days. Compared with the control group, the mice exposed to abnormal lighting experienced faster and more aggressive tumor growth. (16)
10. Burnt food. What causes cancer? Cancer’s link to fried food and inflammation may not be a surprise, but there’s more to the story. Acrylamide is a chemical created in starchy foods (like potatoes and toast) when they’re cooked at higher temperatures. Frying, baking or broiling starchy foods above 248 degrees Fahrenheit seems to trigger acrylamide formation, while boiling and microwaving are less lightly to. Studies suggest that acrylamide can damage DNA and cause cancer in animals. (I still avoid microwaving my food for other reasons) For this reason, the International Agency for Research on Cancer named acrylamide a “probable carcinogen,” but as of yet, eating foods containing acrylamide has not been directly linked to increased cancer risk in humans. (17)
What causes cancer in the dietary world beyond possibly acrylamide? Burning meat. But good news. You can lower grilling carcinogens by up to 99 percent using simple cooking trips. Research from the Cancer Research Center of Hawaii found cooking meat using store-bought marinades that often contain excess sugar and high-fructose corn syrup can actually triple the amount of heterocyclic amines (HCAs), toxic, carcinogenic compounds also found in cigarette smoke.
How to avoid it: To be safe, however, experts suggest eating these starchy foods just “golden” and not burnt. Avoiding frying, baking or broiling for long amounts of time at high temperatures can also keep acrylamide at bay. And use this easy tater trick. Soaking raw, sliced or cut spuds for 30 minutes reduces acrylamide levels by 38 percent. If you have more time, a 2-hour soak will nearly cut acrylamide levels in half. But even a quick rinse helps, reducing levels by 23 percent.
Of course, avoiding french fries and chips is a great way to eliminate acrylamide and excess calories, too.
When it comes to lowering cancer causers in cooked meat, you can lower HCA levels by using vinegar-based marinades instead of sugary ones and including things like turmeric, garlic and herbs like rosemary.
11. A sedentary lifestyle. A 2014 analysis by the University of Regensburg, Germany, published in the Journal of National Cancer Institute, assessed the correlation between TV viewing time, recreational sitting time, occupational sitting time and total sitting time as it relates to cancer risk. When comparing the highest levels of sedentary behavior to the lowest, researchers found the more sedentary participants faced a higher risk of colon, endometrial and lung cancer. The cancer risk elevated with each 2-hour increase in sitting time. This seemed to be regardless of physical activity, implying large amounts of time spent sitting can still be detrimental even if otherwise physically active. (18)
According to the American Cancer Society, the latest recommendation for adults is at least 150 minutes of moderate activity or 75 minutes of vigorous activity per week. This does not include daily activities such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator or housework. For kids, the recommendation is at least 60 minutes of moderate or vigorous activity each day, with vigorous activity at least 3 days per week. (19)
How to avoid it: While sitting for hours on end can sometimes feel inevitable for office workers, to avoid falling into the trap of a sedentary lifestyle, try a standing desk or replace your conventional office chair for an exercise ball. Throughout the day, set alarms to remind yourself to stand up and stretch every once in a while. If you can, start hosting walking meetings or take your calls while strolling around the building.
Final Thoughts on What Causes Cancer (The Unexpected Risks)
- The more you know, the better you can fight off a cancer diagnosis, given that at least half of cancer cases are triggered by environmental or socioeconomic factors. In other words, it’s not just genetics.
- By living an active lifestyle, consuming the right foods, avoiding toxic chemicals, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and surrounding yourself by a healthy environment, you can reduce your risk of a number of cancers.
- Ultimately, a high-level policy change to keep toxic pesticides and household chemicals out of food and everyday products is needed for a more widespread protection against exposures.
A quick note from our founder-
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That's right -- as a special launch promotion, we're offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) -- All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Help us create more awareness! Please SHARE this article...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat.
This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
P.S. Make sure you check out the next page to get to know the 10 simple moves that will bring vitality back into your life!
To begin, I apologize for the dark nature of today's email.
However I promise what you'll discover today will be completely worth it.
Imagine a rotting corpse draped over your body from head to toe...
...suffocating tissue, restricting blood flow, damaging joints and infecting your healthy cells.
Shockingly, that nightmare is a reality for most:
64% of women and 74% of men carry too much body fat according to the National Institutes of Health.
It's choking their organs, assaulting their metabolism and sucking their energy dry.
But here's the worst part:
For most, this bodyfat has become "calorie-resistant":
It's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
This zombie fat is essentially... "dead tissue".
That's important for those who have 10, 25 or 50 or more pounds to lose...
AND for those who aren't technically overweight, but have what's called "pocket obesity"...
...unsightly patches of fat that cling to specific places, like:
just above your hips, lower belly, where your butt and legs meet... and even arms, neck and face.
However, there's good news:
Obesity researchers have now discovered a "metabolic jumper cable":
It jolts dead bodyfat back to life.
This allows your metabolism to burn it as calories and re-energize your entire body.
First though, here's the #1 reason why bodyfat becomes calorie-resistant:
It lacks blood flow. This has 3 effects:
- Not enough oxygen or nutrients reach fat cells, so they become unresponsive..
- Released fat can't be sent to other tissues to be burned, so fat cells suck it back in...
- 3) Metabolic hormones carrying the "burn calories" message don't reach the fat cell...
All this means one thing:
Your body can't transform into energy, the 135,000+ of calories the average person stores as fat!
You become a metabolic zombie: NO energy to think. NO energy to move. NO energy to motivate.
Update: calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
The discovery of this "metabolic jumper cable" can now reverse this process:
- It wakes up un-responsive bodyfat with a powerful calorie-burning hormonal jolt....
- It pops open fat cells, sucks out the fat, sending it off before its yanked back in...
- It shuttles fat to your brain, heart, lungs, kidneys - even your bones - to be burned as energy.
Not only do those layers of "zombie fat" start coming off, but your entire body just works better.
Plus, as your whole body burns more calories, those patches of pocket obesity whittle away.
This "metabolic jumper cable" isn't any exercise, machine or pill.
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive.
It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know.
And on this next page, you'll find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
PS - Studies show that not only can healthy levels of this powerful calorie-burning hormone devour bodyfat and fortify soft muscle, but it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video. He's going to be the talk of 2016.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
Is Bread Really the Staff of Life… or the Stuff of Disease?
For most us, there are few foods more comforting than bread.
Fluffy biscuits, crusty baguettes, flaky croissants… even a simple slice of toast topped with melted butter can taste like heaven.
And that smell… few scents are quite as pleasant as fresh bread baking in the oven.
But there is a lot of confusion as to where bread fits into a healthy diet.
The Bible practically commands followers to eat it: “Give us this day our daily bread…” The government put it at the base of the food pyramid. And for centuries, it has been called “the staff of life.”
Of course, there are some who disagree…
Well-known cardiologist, Dr. William Davis, calls wheat “the perfect chronic poison.”
And for a poison, we sure eat lots of it…
The average American consumes 55 pounds of wheat flour every year, making refined flour the #1 source of calories in the American Diet – a situation that nutrition expert Chris Kresser describes as, “a public health catastrophe.”
So, what is the truth about bread and wheat?
- Is it the perfect poison… or an essential daily food?
- Is “gluten-free” bread better for you than regular bread?
- And can you still eat bread… while maintaining a lean body and optimal health?
The answers to these questions may surprise you!
Be sure to read #5 – the biggest surprise of all!
Recently, Doctor of Naturopathy, weight-loss expert and best-selling Amazon author Liz Swann Miller, creator of the Red Smoothie Detox Factor, revealed 2 of the secrets to easy, steady weight loss. Secrets the big food corporations do their best to hide from us.
Secret #1: Enjoy real food. Don’t fall for the lie that you have to deprive yourself to lose weight.
Secret #2: stop eating out. You will automatically eat less without even noticing.
Then start detoxing your body with tasty, nourishing smoothies that are just as easy on your wallet as they are easy to make.
Because a single day of enjoying Liz’ smoothies demonstrated the radical power of her superfood-packed red smoothies to make me feel incredibly good.
Now prepare yourself for one of the biggest weight loss secrets there is. A secret that, when you use it properly, can transform your body and your health.
You probably know most of us eat too much processed food. What you may not know is that it’s full of toxic chemicals and substandard, dirt-cheap ingredients designed to make you eat more…and force you to gain weight.
Here’s how it works.
“That stuff is just a lot of calories your body can’t use,” Liz told me, “Some are poison. And all these foods are stripped of the anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that help your body detox. The result? Your body expends huge amounts of calories to eliminate some toxins—the rest, it stores in your fat to protect you. This is why most people are hungry all the time. They’re not getting energy they need.”
“So… what’s going on with me? Why am I losing weight but not going hungry?”
Liz paused, then dropped the bombshell.
Your body is designed to burn fat. You just have to let it.
“What? I thought we were designed to store fat?!?” We were Skyping and I was practically shouting. Then I heard Liz say…
What good is a fat reserve if you can’t burn it?
Liz continued: “You’re drinking smoothies packed with phytonutrients, anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that pull toxins out of you like a tractor beam. Allowing your body to burn those toxin-filled fat stores… and releasing tremendous amounts of stored energy.”
So that’s why I’m losing weight without going hungry.
Watch Liz’ free presentation. It’s packed with revolutionary weight loss information—information that works. Because it’s based on how nature.
Click the button only if you want to wear smaller clothes, breathe easier, move more freely and just plain feel better.
- Which calories help you lose weight…and which ones help you gain it…
- The “diet” foods…some of them vegetables…that lead to weight gain and diabetes…
- The “low-fat” foods that can dramatically increase your risk of cancer.
- And the superfoods that rescue your body from this assault by detoxing you…
Revitalizing your metabolism so you can Shed pounds as well as toxins, renew your body and reset your internal clock by up to 7 years.
Because until now, the Red Smoothie Detox Factor has been available only to Liz’ private clients. But now that she’s perfected it to work for almost everyone, almost every time, Liz is sharing it with rest of us so we can feel better and look better.
Get Red Smoothie Detox Factor before the price goes back up.
Because Liz offers a ridiculously good guarantee. You have 60 days to decide you love the Red Smoothie Detox Factor. If you don’t love it—for any reason, or even no reason at all —Liz will refund your money. 100%. No questions asked.
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.