Dryer sheets are part of the laundry routine for millions of people. Most of us don’t think twice about tossing a sheet or two into the dryer — it’s just part of the clean clothes process. And while pulling a warm, fresh load of scented laundry out of the dryer may make you feel warm and fuzzy, there’s likely something not-so-good happening inside of your body.
What if I told you those dryer sheets are caked with ingredients you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemy. And those “blossoms and flowers” depicted on the dryer sheet box? Don’t buy it. Dryer sheets are really a toxic ripoff. That means you’re paying more for a product that could actually be making you sick.
I’m talking about things like known carcinogens, hazardous pollutants, endocrine disruptors and things that target specific organs in the most unpleasant ways. Let’s examine what we know about dryer sheets and your health, then get into simple alternatives for a safer laundry routine.
Dryer Sheets: The Facts
Ever look at a box of dryer sheets? You’ll probably see images of flowers or line-dried laundry and claims of freshness, fabric softening, static reduction and wrinkle fighting power. What you won’t see? A comprehensive list of the chemical cocktail cooked into those sheets. As crazy as it seems, the current United States Consumer Product Safety Commission does not require dryer sheet manufacturers to list actual ingredients, including the chemicals used in fragrance blends.
To help us figure out what’s actually in these products many people use day in and day out, scientists have been studying the sheets and dryer vent exhaust to get a better picture. The results aren’t pretty. Here’s a rundown of some of the compounds detected in dryer sheets and dryer vent exhaust.
In one of the most interesting studies to date, pioneering fragrance researchers Anne Steinemann, PhD, a professor of civil and environmental engineering, looked at the chemicals spewing out of dryer vents. Using new, pre-rinsed organic towels, Steinemann and her team sampled laundry emissions after using scented fabric softening and dryer sheets in clean washers and dryers.
What was coming out of those vents?
(And into people’s lungs?) Seven hazardous air pollutants and 25 volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Some of these, including acetaldehyde and benzene, are not safe at any level. (These are also pollutants that commonly spew out of vehicle tailpipes.) (1)
Acetaldehyde is a common ingredient used in fake fragrance blends. It’s “potentially carcinogenic to humans” and adversely impacts the kidneys, nervous and respiratory systems. (2) While it’s regulated in outdoor emissions, it’s a total free-for-all when it comes to home use. And that’s coming with some serious side effects.
In a 2016 study, Steinemann found 12.5 percent of people blamed scented laundry products spewing from dryer vents for health issues. These include ailments like respiratory issues, runny noses, asthma attacks, skin issues, migraines and even gastrointestinal symptoms. (3) Knowing this, doctors should be putting all of their patients in fragrance-free prescriptions!
The truth is, though, most people have no idea they’re introducing such nasty pollutants into their neighborhoods.
One of Steinemann’s fragrance studies found that acetaldehyde emissions from five leading scented detergent and dryer sheet brands “constitute about 6 percent of automobiles’ acetaldehyde emissions.” That’s a lot. (4) She also comments,
These products can affect not only personal health, but also public and environmental health. The chemicals can go into the air, down the drain and into water bodies. We focus a lot of attention on how to reduce emissions of pollutants from automobiles. And here’s one source of pollutants that could be reduced. (5)
Other dryer sheet and dryer sheet ingredient research unearthed these important findings:
- Forty-four percent of scented laundry products tested spewed at least one carcinogenic hazardous air pollutant. Some of these include acetaldehyde, 1,4-dioxane and formaldehyde. (6)
- Some of the more immediate dangers of synthetic scents in laundry products include migraines, asthma attacks, eye and throat irritation and contact dermatitis.
- In one mice study, fabric softening products triggered limited airflow and pulmonary irritation in the animals studied. (7, 8)
- In 2009, nearly 10 percent of the general U.S. population reports irritation from scents coming out of dryer vents. By 2016, that number increased to more than 12 percent. (9)
- In a study focusing on hormone disruptors and asthma triggers in everyday products, Silent Spring Institute researchers found dryer sheets contained some of the highest concentrations of harmful fragrance chemicals. Compounds like acetyl hexamethyl tetralin, isobornyl acetate and phenethyl alcohol also turned up. (10)
- According to EcoWatch, dryer sheets often contain quaternary ammonium compounds, which can trigger asthma attacks. These cautoionic fabric softeners also routinely trigger reproductive toxicity in animals. Acetone in the sheets can trigger dizzy spells and headaches. Aside from that, up to 10 percent of a dryer sheet’s weight could be comprised of fragrance chemicals. (11, 12)
- Dryer sheet “grades” vary greatly on Environmental Working Group’s Guide to Healthy Cleaning. Some “F” products contained quaternary ammonium compounds compounds due to their well-known asthma-triggering properties. Other fabric softening compounds routinely used in dryer sheets are considered toxic to wildlife. (13)
Better Alternatives to Store-Bought Dryer Sheets
The good news is you can survive without dryer sheets. (It’s true!) In facts, humans existed and successfully washed their clothing for hundreds of years without this modern-day scented laundry products. In fact, a dryer sheet patent didn’t even exist until 1969. The creator, Conrad J. Gaiser, went on to sell the patent to Procter & Gamble, which created Bounce dryer sheets. (14)
You can avoid the chemicals in dryer sheets by using some of these laundry room tactics:
- Add a quarter cup of white vinegar to your washer’s rinse cycle.
- Look for plant-based, unscented laundry detergents. (Or make your own from unscented castile soap.)
- Hang your clothing outside to dry. (You’ll enjoy a drop in your energy bill, too!)
- Add wool dryer balls to your dryer. It also cuts down on drying time. You can add a few drops of organic, therapeutic-grade peppermint essential oil to the balls for a light, natural fragrance.
- Always use plant-based, unscented laundry detergents. Or, make your own homemade laundry soap.
- Beware of “green” laundry products. Even some of them released toxic compounds in some studies.
- Lobby your workplace, apartment complex and/or neighbors to adopt these fragrance-free laundry practices to protect the health of everyone in your community and workplace.
Final Thoughts on Dryer Sheets
- Dryer sheets are among the worst offenders for harboring chemicals linked to hormone disruption and asthma.
- More than 12 percent of the U.S. population reported negative health symptoms associated with dryer vent emissions.
- Many dryer sheets contain chemicals that react with the air to create formaldehyde, a probable human carcinogen.
- Other common dryer sheet pollutants include acetaldehyde and benzene, things also found in vehicle exhaust that are not considered safe at any level.
- To reduce your exposure to dryer sheet chemicals, you can reduce static cling naturally by adding a quarter cup of white vinegar to your washer’s rinse cycle. You can also use wool dryer balls or hang dry your clothing.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.