Estrogen is a type of hormone that promotes female development and characteristics in the body. It is produced mostly in the ovaries as well as in fat cells, and helps regulate the menstrual cycle and reproductive system. It also helps promote healthy bones and is involved in blood clotting to help prevent excessive bleeding.
Women need estrogen for their body systems to operate as they should.
But in today’s world, we sometimes get too much—which can have negative effects.
How can that be? And what can we do to reduce our levels?
What Does It Mean to Have High Estrogen Levels?
It’s called “high estrogen,” or “estrogen dominance.” It’s when our levels of this hormone are higher than they should be, optimally. When that happens, we can suffer from a number of potential side effects:
- Decreased sex drive
- Headaches and migraines
- Mood swings/depression/anxiety
- Bloating, water retention, and weight gain
- Hair loss
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Sleep problems/insomnia
- Memory problems
- Swollen or tender breasts
- More difficult symptoms of PMS
Higher levels of estrogen also increase risk of certain diseases, including:
- Ovarian cysts
- Fibrocystic breast disease
- Some cancers, including breast and endometrial cancer
What Causes High Estrogen Levels?
Why would our estrogen levels go too high? There are several reasons for that:
- A hormonal imbalance, such as when progesterone levels drop
- Certain medications (like estrogen replacement therapy drugs and birth control pills)
- Low testosterone or progesterone levels, which can upset the hormonal balance in the body
- Low-fiber diet (estrogen is excreted in the bowel—constipation can cause it to be reabsorbed into the body)
- Impaired liver function
- Misuse of drugs or alcohol
- Overexposure to “xenoestrogens”—manmade chemicals in the environment that mimic estrogen in the body and disrupt hormonal balance
It’s this last cause that I’m addressing in this post—estrogen in the environment.
What Are Xenoestrogens?
Xenoestrogens come in many forms. We can find them in the food we eat, the personal care products we use, and even in medical devices, toys, and cooking tools.
The problem is that we’ve been using hundreds of chemicals in just about every industry for several decades now, but we weren’t really sure about their safety. Recent studies have given us some clues, but the research is behind production. Meanwhile, we’re all taking part in a giant experiment where no one knows the outcome.
Ways to Detox from Excess Estrogen
To get started on detoxing from excess estrogen, I’ve given you 15 tips below.
- Choose safe skin care: A number of ingredients in skin care products, including parabens, certain chemical sunscreens, phthalates, and petroleum chemicals, are xenoestrogens. Look for brands that are more conscious about using natural and organic ingredients that don’t increase estrogen levels.
- Choose organic beef and dairy: Be sure to choose organic (and grass-fed beef). Conventional farms feed livestock estrogenic drugs to fatten them up and improve milk production.
- Eat organic produce: Studies show it has lower levels of pesticides, and many pesticides are hormone disruptors. Always wash your food, as even organics can have pesticide residue on them.
- Eat enough fiber: The body gets rid of excess estrogen through digestion, but you need enough fiber to keep things moving. Eat more leafy greens, nuts, seeds, fruits, and beans.
- Avoid plastics: Plastic water bottles, food containers, bags, and more often contain chemicals like bisphenol-A (BPA) and bisphenol-S (BPS), which mimic estrogen in the body. Store and microwave food in glass or ceramic containers. The main thing is to avoid temperature extremes with plastics—they break down the chemicals and cause them to leech into your foods and beverages.
- Avoid canned food: Most have plastic linings made with BPA. A study by the National Work Group for Safe Markets reported that over 90 percent of cans tested had detectable levels of BPA. Choose cartons, boxed or fresh instead.
- Limit processed foods: Most of the xenoestrogens we’re exposed to in food comes from processed foods, because they contain so many preservatives and dyes. Choose fresh and frozen as much as possible.
- Cook in ceramic or cast iron: That convenient non-stick cookware is a good source of xenoestrogens. If overheated, it will leech endocrine-disrupting chemicals into your food. Cook in ceramic coated pots and pans or cast iron for a healthier meal.
- Try estrogen-reducing supplements: Some supplements help remove xenoestrogens from the body. Try calcium-D-glucarate, DIM, milk thistle, choline, and taurine. Ask a naturopath for guidance.
- Choose healthier laundry products: Fabric softeners and common laundry products contain petrochemicals that act as xenoestrogens. Look for products with fewer ingredients, or go natural by making your own detergent with washing soda, baking soda, Borax, and a gentle bar soap.
- Shop carefully for furniture: Many modern pieces of furniture are bathed in flame-retardants, which are xenoestrogens. Find companies that sell flame-retardant-free furniture and use natural latex foam cushions, and look for older furniture sold in vintage stores before flame-retardants were used.
- Avoid soy: Though not a chemical estrogen, it is a plant-based estrogen, and can throw off your hormonal balance.
- Work out: Studies show that exercise lowers estrogen levels. A 2011 study, for instance, found that premenopausal women who engaged in aerobic exercise for 300 minutes a week lowered total estrogen by nearly 19 percent. A 2013 study also found that aerobic exercise helps the body break down estrogen so it’s easier to flush away.
- Get enough sleep: When you don’t get enough sleep, levels of the so-called “sleep” hormone melatonin are disrupted. Turns out that melatonin has a protective effect against excess estrogen. A 1999 study, for example, showed that melatonin helped block the growth of estrogen-induced cancer cells.
- Use a water filter: Public water supplies often contain chlorine, fluoride, and other industrial chemicals that act as xenoestrogens. Use a quality filter to reduce your exposure.
A quick note from our founder-
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That's right -- as a special launch promotion, we're offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) -- All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Help us create more awareness! Please SHARE this article...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat.
This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
P.S. Make sure you check out the next page to get to know the 10 simple moves that will bring vitality back into your life!
To begin, I apologize for the dark nature of today's email.
However I promise what you'll discover today will be completely worth it.
Imagine a rotting corpse draped over your body from head to toe...
...suffocating tissue, restricting blood flow, damaging joints and infecting your healthy cells.
Shockingly, that nightmare is a reality for most:
64% of women and 74% of men carry too much body fat according to the National Institutes of Health.
It's choking their organs, assaulting their metabolism and sucking their energy dry.
But here's the worst part:
For most, this bodyfat has become "calorie-resistant":
It's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
This zombie fat is essentially... "dead tissue".
That's important for those who have 10, 25 or 50 or more pounds to lose...
AND for those who aren't technically overweight, but have what's called "pocket obesity"...
...unsightly patches of fat that cling to specific places, like:
just above your hips, lower belly, where your butt and legs meet... and even arms, neck and face.
However, there's good news:
Obesity researchers have now discovered a "metabolic jumper cable":
It jolts dead bodyfat back to life.
This allows your metabolism to burn it as calories and re-energize your entire body.
First though, here's the #1 reason why bodyfat becomes calorie-resistant:
It lacks blood flow. This has 3 effects:
- Not enough oxygen or nutrients reach fat cells, so they become unresponsive..
- Released fat can't be sent to other tissues to be burned, so fat cells suck it back in...
- 3) Metabolic hormones carrying the "burn calories" message don't reach the fat cell...
All this means one thing:
Your body can't transform into energy, the 135,000+ of calories the average person stores as fat!
You become a metabolic zombie: NO energy to think. NO energy to move. NO energy to motivate.
Update: calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
The discovery of this "metabolic jumper cable" can now reverse this process:
- It wakes up un-responsive bodyfat with a powerful calorie-burning hormonal jolt....
- It pops open fat cells, sucks out the fat, sending it off before its yanked back in...
- It shuttles fat to your brain, heart, lungs, kidneys - even your bones - to be burned as energy.
Not only do those layers of "zombie fat" start coming off, but your entire body just works better.
Plus, as your whole body burns more calories, those patches of pocket obesity whittle away.
This "metabolic jumper cable" isn't any exercise, machine or pill.
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive.
It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know.
And on this next page, you'll find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
PS - Studies show that not only can healthy levels of this powerful calorie-burning hormone devour bodyfat and fortify soft muscle, but it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video. He's going to be the talk of 2016.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
Is Bread Really the Staff of Life… or the Stuff of Disease?
For most us, there are few foods more comforting than bread.
Fluffy biscuits, crusty baguettes, flaky croissants… even a simple slice of toast topped with melted butter can taste like heaven.
And that smell… few scents are quite as pleasant as fresh bread baking in the oven.
But there is a lot of confusion as to where bread fits into a healthy diet.
The Bible practically commands followers to eat it: “Give us this day our daily bread…” The government put it at the base of the food pyramid. And for centuries, it has been called “the staff of life.”
Of course, there are some who disagree…
Well-known cardiologist, Dr. William Davis, calls wheat “the perfect chronic poison.”
And for a poison, we sure eat lots of it…
The average American consumes 55 pounds of wheat flour every year, making refined flour the #1 source of calories in the American Diet – a situation that nutrition expert Chris Kresser describes as, “a public health catastrophe.”
So, what is the truth about bread and wheat?
- Is it the perfect poison… or an essential daily food?
- Is “gluten-free” bread better for you than regular bread?
- And can you still eat bread… while maintaining a lean body and optimal health?
The answers to these questions may surprise you!
Be sure to read #5 – the biggest surprise of all!
Recently, Doctor of Naturopathy, weight-loss expert and best-selling Amazon author Liz Swann Miller, creator of the Red Smoothie Detox Factor, revealed 2 of the secrets to easy, steady weight loss. Secrets the big food corporations do their best to hide from us.
Secret #1: Enjoy real food. Don’t fall for the lie that you have to deprive yourself to lose weight.
Secret #2: stop eating out. You will automatically eat less without even noticing.
Then start detoxing your body with tasty, nourishing smoothies that are just as easy on your wallet as they are easy to make.
Because a single day of enjoying Liz’ smoothies demonstrated the radical power of her superfood-packed red smoothies to make me feel incredibly good.
Now prepare yourself for one of the biggest weight loss secrets there is. A secret that, when you use it properly, can transform your body and your health.
You probably know most of us eat too much processed food. What you may not know is that it’s full of toxic chemicals and substandard, dirt-cheap ingredients designed to make you eat more…and force you to gain weight.
Here’s how it works.
“That stuff is just a lot of calories your body can’t use,” Liz told me, “Some are poison. And all these foods are stripped of the anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that help your body detox. The result? Your body expends huge amounts of calories to eliminate some toxins—the rest, it stores in your fat to protect you. This is why most people are hungry all the time. They’re not getting energy they need.”
“So… what’s going on with me? Why am I losing weight but not going hungry?”
Liz paused, then dropped the bombshell.
Your body is designed to burn fat. You just have to let it.
“What? I thought we were designed to store fat?!?” We were Skyping and I was practically shouting. Then I heard Liz say…
What good is a fat reserve if you can’t burn it?
Liz continued: “You’re drinking smoothies packed with phytonutrients, anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that pull toxins out of you like a tractor beam. Allowing your body to burn those toxin-filled fat stores… and releasing tremendous amounts of stored energy.”
So that’s why I’m losing weight without going hungry.
Watch Liz’ free presentation. It’s packed with revolutionary weight loss information—information that works. Because it’s based on how nature.
Click the button only if you want to wear smaller clothes, breathe easier, move more freely and just plain feel better.
- Which calories help you lose weight…and which ones help you gain it…
- The “diet” foods…some of them vegetables…that lead to weight gain and diabetes…
- The “low-fat” foods that can dramatically increase your risk of cancer.
- And the superfoods that rescue your body from this assault by detoxing you…
Revitalizing your metabolism so you can Shed pounds as well as toxins, renew your body and reset your internal clock by up to 7 years.
Because until now, the Red Smoothie Detox Factor has been available only to Liz’ private clients. But now that she’s perfected it to work for almost everyone, almost every time, Liz is sharing it with rest of us so we can feel better and look better.
Get Red Smoothie Detox Factor before the price goes back up.
Because Liz offers a ridiculously good guarantee. You have 60 days to decide you love the Red Smoothie Detox Factor. If you don’t love it—for any reason, or even no reason at all —Liz will refund your money. 100%. No questions asked.
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.