Almond butter and peanut butter have a lot in common.
Both are known for being good sources of plant-based fat and protein. And both lend themselves to many culinary uses, from spreading on toast to making curry.
Yet almond butter is usually at least double the price of peanut butter and has more of a health halo than peanut butter.
Is that hefty price tag worth it, or is peanut butter just as healthy as almond butter?
This article will review and compare their health benefits, drawbacks and uses to tell you which one is healthier.
What’s the Difference Between Peanuts and Almonds?
Peanuts are actually a legume, members of the same plant family as beans and peas. They are seeds from pods that grow underground.
Native to South America, peanuts are grown throughout tropical and subtropical regions, including Asia, parts of Africa, Spain and the Southern US.
By contrast, almonds are tree nuts. They grow on trees and are more closely related to other nuts, such as walnuts and cashews.
Interestingly, 79% percent of the world’s almond harvest comes from California, although they’re also grown in Mediterranean countries and the Middle East (1).
Almonds require a lot of water to grow and also need to be pollinated by honeybees. Both of these factors raise concerns over sustainability.
In comparison, peanuts require far less water to grow, and the flowers of the peanut plant pollinate themselves.
The higher price of almond butter is partially due to the resources needed to grow almonds, combined with the high demand for almonds in all forms — whole, as butter, made into almond milk and in food products.
Summary: Almonds are a tree nut, while peanuts are a legume. Almonds require more resources to grow, which mostly accounts for their high price.
Differences in Taste and Usage
It’s hard to describe the difference in taste between almond butter and peanut butter without simply comparing the flavors of almonds and peanuts.
Peanut butter has a distinctively addictive smell and taste and a thick, sticky texture.
Almond butter is a bit sweeter tasting and is smoother and runnier than peanut butter.
Almond butter can be made from raw or roasted almonds, whereas peanuts are always roasted before being ground into peanut butter.
They can also be cooked into savory dishes, adding a nutty flavor and a creamy texture to stews or curries.
Almond butter’s milder taste means it can be added to dishes without being as noticeable. For instance, you can use it in pesto or hummus.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for the distinctive flavor of peanut butter, then almond butter won’t be a direct substitute.
Summary: Almond butter and peanut butter can both be used as a dip, in sandwiches or added to savory dishes. Almond butter has a milder, sweeter flavor and peanut butter has a thicker texture.
Side-By-Side Nutrition Comparison
Both almond and peanut butter can be made with just a single ingredient.
However, some brands add extra ingredients, including salt, sweeteners, other flavors and oils.
To make it easy to compare the two, the information below is for unsalted, single-ingredient varieties.
|Peanut butter||Almond butter|
|Protein||8 grams||5 grams|
|Total fat||16 grams||19 grams|
|Monounsaturated fat||8 grams||12 grams|
|Saturated fat||3 grams||2 grams|
|Carbs||6 grams||7 grams|
|Fiber||2 grams||1 gram|
|Manganese||23% RDI||38% RDI|
|Niacin||21% RDI||4% RDI|
|Vitamin E||14% RDI||42% RDI|
|Magnesium||12% RDI||24% RDI|
|Phosphorus||11% RDI||16% RDI|
|Copper||8% RDI||14% RDI|
|Calcium||1% RDI||9% RDI|
|Vitamin B6||9% RDI||6% RDI|
|Iron||3% RDI||6% RDI|
|Riboflavin||2% RDI||12% RDI|
|Folate||6% RDI||6% RDI|
As you can see, peanut butter and almond butter are very similar, though peanut butter gets bonus points for having slightly fewer calories and more protein.
However, almond butter delivers a higher percentage of certain nutrients, including vitamin E, magnesium, manganese and calcium, which are important for health.
Additionally, crunchy varieties of both almond and peanut butter have a bit more fiber than smooth versions.
Summary: Almond butter and peanut butter have similar amounts of calories, healthy fats and protein. Almond butter has higher amounts of several vitamins and minerals, giving it a slight edge.
Proven Health Benefits
In terms of general health benefits, almond butter and peanut butter are similar.
Scientific literature and research often groups peanuts into the nut category.
Regularly including peanuts, almonds and their butters in your diet may provide the following benefits:
- Reduce the risk of heart disease: Research has consistently linked eating nuts with a lower risk of heart disease. A 2014 review found that just one serving of nuts daily may lower the risk of coronary artery disease by 19% (4, 5, 6, 7).
- Help lower blood pressure: Nuts contain several compounds, such as magnesium and copper, that help the body better regulate blood pressure. Just a serving daily may help lower your blood pressure (8, 9, 10, 11).
- Improve cholesterol levels: Eating different kinds of nuts may help lower total cholesterol and “bad” LDL cholesterol in healthy people and those with moderately high cholesterol (12).
- Help maintain a healthy weight: Although nuts are high in calories, research has shown that eating them regularly is not associated with weight gain and is even linked to a lower risk of obesity (13, 14).
- Improve blood sugar control: Regularly eating nuts improves blood sugar control in diabetics, prediabetics and healthy individuals, likely because nuts are low in carbs and high in healthy fats and protein (15, 16, 17, 18, 19).
- Protect cell membranes: Nuts are rich in vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps protect cell membranes from harmful free radicals. Almond butter contains more than peanut butter, but both provide a good amount (2, 3, 20).
- Lower the risk of gallstones: Several large studies have found that people who frequently eat nuts have a lower risk of gallstones. This is likely thanks to the unsaturated fat and fiber content of nuts (21, 22, 23).
Summary: Both almonds and peanuts, as well as their butters, have several health benefits including lowering the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels.
Why Is Almond Butter Perceived as Healthier?
Despite the marked similarities between almond butter and peanut butter, many people perceive almond butter as healthier.
There may be several reasons for that.
The primary one is likely that peanuts are legumes and almonds are tree nuts.
Legumes have a bad rap in certain circles, in part because many people feel bloated after eating them.
Another thing that’s often brought up is that peanut butter contains antinutrients, such as phytic acid, which reduce the absorption of other minerals.
While this is true, almond butter also contains antinutrients.
Moreover, research increasingly suggests that antinutrients may actually have some benefits, despite their drawbacks. For instance, phytic acid is also an antioxidant that may reduce the risk of certain cancers (27, 28, 29, 30, 31).
Believe it or not, almond butter’s hefty price tag may also bias some people to think almond butter is better for them than less-expensive peanut butter.
Recent research found that people believe that healthier food is more expensive. Many equate a higher price with a healthier product (32).
Lastly, some of the bias against peanut butter may simply be due to misperception.
Aflatoxins are toxic compounds produced by mold that can grow in a number of raw foods. The truth is that peanuts and almonds are equally at risk (34).
Summary: There are several reasons people may believe almond butter is better than peanut butter. However, they don’t hold up well to scrutiny.
For the most part, both almond butter and peanut butter are healthy foods without many drawbacks.
However, there are a few concerns that should be addressed.
Here are the primary ones:
- Allergies: About 1% of people in the US are allergic to peanuts and 0.5% are allergic to almond and other tree nuts. Both allergies can be severe and potentially life-threatening (35, 36, 37, 38).
- Slight risk of food poisoning: Every so often, there are recalls on nut butters, as there are for many foods. Both almond and peanut butters can carry aflatoxin and Salmonella.
- High in oxalates: Both almonds and peanuts are high in oxalates, a category of natural compounds that can cause kidney stones. This could be a concern for people who are prone to kidney stones (39, 40).
- Extra ingredients: Many brands add sugar, oils and other fillers to enhance taste, extend the shelf life and prevent separation of the natural oils. Look for ingredient lists with just one ingredient: peanuts or almonds.
- Spoilage: Natural nut butters will generally last five to six months if stored in the fridge. If they start to smell rancid, toss them (41).
- Cost: Natural almond butter can be up to three times more expensive per ounce than natural peanut butter.
Summary: Almond and peanut butter usually don’t carry major risks, except for people with peanut and almond allergies.
The Bottom Line
Peanut butter and almond butter are both healthy choices.
Almond butter delivers slightly higher levels of vitamins and minerals, making it a slightly healthier choice.
However, both deliver the same major health benefits, including lowering the risk of heart disease and helping keep blood sugar steady.
At the end of the day, the healthier one is the one you’ll eat regularly. So choose whichever one you prefer and can afford.
A quick note from our founder-
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That's right -- as a special launch promotion, we're offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) -- All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Help us create more awareness! Please SHARE this article...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat.
This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
P.S. Make sure you check out the next page to get to know the 10 simple moves that will bring vitality back into your life!
To begin, I apologize for the dark nature of today's email.
However I promise what you'll discover today will be completely worth it.
Imagine a rotting corpse draped over your body from head to toe...
...suffocating tissue, restricting blood flow, damaging joints and infecting your healthy cells.
Shockingly, that nightmare is a reality for most:
64% of women and 74% of men carry too much body fat according to the National Institutes of Health.
It's choking their organs, assaulting their metabolism and sucking their energy dry.
But here's the worst part:
For most, this bodyfat has become "calorie-resistant":
It's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
This zombie fat is essentially... "dead tissue".
That's important for those who have 10, 25 or 50 or more pounds to lose...
AND for those who aren't technically overweight, but have what's called "pocket obesity"...
...unsightly patches of fat that cling to specific places, like:
just above your hips, lower belly, where your butt and legs meet... and even arms, neck and face.
However, there's good news:
Obesity researchers have now discovered a "metabolic jumper cable":
It jolts dead bodyfat back to life.
This allows your metabolism to burn it as calories and re-energize your entire body.
First though, here's the #1 reason why bodyfat becomes calorie-resistant:
It lacks blood flow. This has 3 effects:
- Not enough oxygen or nutrients reach fat cells, so they become unresponsive..
- Released fat can't be sent to other tissues to be burned, so fat cells suck it back in...
- 3) Metabolic hormones carrying the "burn calories" message don't reach the fat cell...
All this means one thing:
Your body can't transform into energy, the 135,000+ of calories the average person stores as fat!
You become a metabolic zombie: NO energy to think. NO energy to move. NO energy to motivate.
Update: calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
The discovery of this "metabolic jumper cable" can now reverse this process:
- It wakes up un-responsive bodyfat with a powerful calorie-burning hormonal jolt....
- It pops open fat cells, sucks out the fat, sending it off before its yanked back in...
- It shuttles fat to your brain, heart, lungs, kidneys - even your bones - to be burned as energy.
Not only do those layers of "zombie fat" start coming off, but your entire body just works better.
Plus, as your whole body burns more calories, those patches of pocket obesity whittle away.
This "metabolic jumper cable" isn't any exercise, machine or pill.
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive.
It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know.
And on this next page, you'll find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
PS - Studies show that not only can healthy levels of this powerful calorie-burning hormone devour bodyfat and fortify soft muscle, but it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video. He's going to be the talk of 2016.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
Is Bread Really the Staff of Life… or the Stuff of Disease?
For most us, there are few foods more comforting than bread.
Fluffy biscuits, crusty baguettes, flaky croissants… even a simple slice of toast topped with melted butter can taste like heaven.
And that smell… few scents are quite as pleasant as fresh bread baking in the oven.
But there is a lot of confusion as to where bread fits into a healthy diet.
The Bible practically commands followers to eat it: “Give us this day our daily bread…” The government put it at the base of the food pyramid. And for centuries, it has been called “the staff of life.”
Of course, there are some who disagree…
Well-known cardiologist, Dr. William Davis, calls wheat “the perfect chronic poison.”
And for a poison, we sure eat lots of it…
The average American consumes 55 pounds of wheat flour every year, making refined flour the #1 source of calories in the American Diet – a situation that nutrition expert Chris Kresser describes as, “a public health catastrophe.”
So, what is the truth about bread and wheat?
- Is it the perfect poison… or an essential daily food?
- Is “gluten-free” bread better for you than regular bread?
- And can you still eat bread… while maintaining a lean body and optimal health?
The answers to these questions may surprise you!
Be sure to read #5 – the biggest surprise of all!
Recently, Doctor of Naturopathy, weight-loss expert and best-selling Amazon author Liz Swann Miller, creator of the Red Smoothie Detox Factor, revealed 2 of the secrets to easy, steady weight loss. Secrets the big food corporations do their best to hide from us.
Secret #1: Enjoy real food. Don’t fall for the lie that you have to deprive yourself to lose weight.
Secret #2: stop eating out. You will automatically eat less without even noticing.
Then start detoxing your body with tasty, nourishing smoothies that are just as easy on your wallet as they are easy to make.
Because a single day of enjoying Liz’ smoothies demonstrated the radical power of her superfood-packed red smoothies to make me feel incredibly good.
Now prepare yourself for one of the biggest weight loss secrets there is. A secret that, when you use it properly, can transform your body and your health.
You probably know most of us eat too much processed food. What you may not know is that it’s full of toxic chemicals and substandard, dirt-cheap ingredients designed to make you eat more…and force you to gain weight.
Here’s how it works.
“That stuff is just a lot of calories your body can’t use,” Liz told me, “Some are poison. And all these foods are stripped of the anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that help your body detox. The result? Your body expends huge amounts of calories to eliminate some toxins—the rest, it stores in your fat to protect you. This is why most people are hungry all the time. They’re not getting energy they need.”
“So… what’s going on with me? Why am I losing weight but not going hungry?”
Liz paused, then dropped the bombshell.
Your body is designed to burn fat. You just have to let it.
“What? I thought we were designed to store fat?!?” We were Skyping and I was practically shouting. Then I heard Liz say…
What good is a fat reserve if you can’t burn it?
Liz continued: “You’re drinking smoothies packed with phytonutrients, anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that pull toxins out of you like a tractor beam. Allowing your body to burn those toxin-filled fat stores… and releasing tremendous amounts of stored energy.”
So that’s why I’m losing weight without going hungry.
Watch Liz’ free presentation. It’s packed with revolutionary weight loss information—information that works. Because it’s based on how nature.
Click the button only if you want to wear smaller clothes, breathe easier, move more freely and just plain feel better.
- Which calories help you lose weight…and which ones help you gain it…
- The “diet” foods…some of them vegetables…that lead to weight gain and diabetes…
- The “low-fat” foods that can dramatically increase your risk of cancer.
- And the superfoods that rescue your body from this assault by detoxing you…
Revitalizing your metabolism so you can Shed pounds as well as toxins, renew your body and reset your internal clock by up to 7 years.
Because until now, the Red Smoothie Detox Factor has been available only to Liz’ private clients. But now that she’s perfected it to work for almost everyone, almost every time, Liz is sharing it with rest of us so we can feel better and look better.
Get Red Smoothie Detox Factor before the price goes back up.
Because Liz offers a ridiculously good guarantee. You have 60 days to decide you love the Red Smoothie Detox Factor. If you don’t love it—for any reason, or even no reason at all —Liz will refund your money. 100%. No questions asked.
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.