Alzheimer’s disease is an insidious illness; often developing without indication and leaving patients and families alike with a heavy burden. The latest statistics reveal that around five million Americans currently live with the disease. This number is estimated to peak at 16 million by 2050. The Alzheimer’s Associationcalculates that someone in the United States develops the condition every 66 seconds. Think about that for a minute. The time it took for you to read this entire paragraph was long enough for someone you may know to develop Alzheimer’s.
There is no cure for Alzheimer’s, but there are treatment plans to better manage it. These programs are normally expensive and tedious. A better option, health experts say, is to engage in proactive and preventive plans. This involves eating better. Thankfully, there are five nutrients that can be taken regularly to reduce the risk of developing this debilitating illness.
Five nutrients to prevent Alzheimer’s
- Omega-3 fatty acids – Numerous studies have observed the relationship between omega-3 fatty acids and the onset of Alzheimer’s. A systematic review published just this year concluded that an ample intake of omega-3 can reduce the risk of developing the disease and can even alleviate a few symptoms in milder forms of Alzheimer’s. However, omega-3 fatty acids were shown to be ineffective in managing severe cases of the illness. Omega-3 can be easily found in such foods as flaxseeds, salmon, walnuts, chia seeds, and other fatty fish.
- Flavanoids – These antioxidants protect neurons, slowing down any possible degeneration, and consequently preventing mental disturbances such as Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. Studies have suggested that flavanoids influence cognition and learning in both human and animal models. Berries are a good source of flavanoids, particularly those that are darker in color.
- Vitamins C & E – Alzheimer’s disease can be caused by damage from free radicals. Foods that are rich in vitamins C & E can help reduce mental deterioration and decline. A study conducted by the Rush University Medical Center suggested that people who followed a diet high in vitamins C & E were half as likely to develop Alzheimer’s. Almonds, spinach and sunflower seeds are great sources of vitamin E, whereas red peppers, oranges, and brussel sprouts offer excellent amounts of vitamin C.
- Curry powder or turmeric – Some people may not find the taste or color appealing, but turmeric has extremely powerful anti-inflammatory properties which can be useful for Alzheimer’s prevention. Studies have proven that turmeric benefits both the physical and mental state. Those who eat curry on a regular basis generally have better brain performance than those who do not consume the spice.
- Folate – B-vitamins are generally known to aid in mental health. Folate, in particular, is highly recommended as a natural means to alleviate certain symptoms associated with cognitive decline. Pregnant woman are also suggested to increase their folate intake to prevent neurological defects in their children. Foods rich in folate include beets, lentils, spinach, and chickpeas.
Diet is not the only aspect to consider. In order to fully prevent the onset of the disease, wellness experts recommend other lifestyle changes such as proper exercise and adequate sleep.
Some things you may not know about Alzheimer’s
- Women are twice as likely to develop the disorder. This is according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Researchers do not understand why this may be so, but have noted that brain shrinkage tends to be more severe among women.
- Alzheimer’s disease is associated with heart disease. Scientists have found that having one condition increases the risk of developing the other. It is hypothesized that heart disease narrows blood vessels in the brain which increases the risk of dementia, and ultimately Alzheimer’s.
- The National Institute on Aging says that those who are less educated are more at risk of developing Alzheimer’s.
- Alzheimer’s is the sixth leading cause of death in the United States.
- The medical cost of Alzheimer’s treatment can reach more than $1 trillion in the U.S. alone by 2050, according to the Alzheimer’s Association.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.