Ahh, planks. Most people hate them (and skip them during their workouts), but it’s an exercise that is a necessity for anyone who is active. They seem simple, but like with most exercises, proper form is key for them to be effective.
Planks are the single most effective exercise for your core, and can prevent many muscle imbalances, as well as prevent back pain and poor posture. Today, we will go over how to properly perform the basic plank and take a look at different plank variations to take your workout to the next level.
How to Do the Basic Plank
- Start by laying on your stomach on the ground or on an exercise mat. Position your elbows so that they are directly under your shoulder, and bent at a 90 degree angle. Place your palms flat on the floor and keep your forearms parallel to each other.
- Curl your toes under so that you place the weight on the balls of your feet.
- Engage your abdominals to lift your hips off the ground, keeping a straight line from the crown of your head to your knees. You should be in a modified plank on your knees (pictured below).
- Engage your glutes, quadriceps and abs even more to lift your knees off the ground so that you are now in a straight line from head to feet.
- Hold this position for 20 seconds. As you get more comfortable and stronger, hold this position for as long as possible without compromising form. Remember to breathe naturally.
Plank Tips from Head to Toe
- Keep your neck neutral and focus on a point that is about 12 inches in front of you. Be sure not to look too far in front and crank your neck forward. That being said, also make sure that your head does not “hang” down. You should not be looking at your stomach or belly button. The crown of your head should be reaching forward, and your neck should be lengthened.
- Keep your shoulders away from your ears, but make sure they are engaged. Feel as if you’re drawing your shoulders down your back, creating space between your ears and your shoulders. Don’t allow the shoulders to “wing” out, but instead, feel as if there is a flat space between your shoulders, You should be able to hold a glass of water between your shoulders.
- Engage your chest, pressing your palms and your forearms into the floor, as if you were trying to press it away from you. This will help engage your biceps and triceps as well.
- Scoop your pubic bone towards your belly button, then lengthen your lower back and engage your abs, and especially your lower abs. This should create a lengthening feeling in your lower back and prevent injury and stress to your lower back.
- Squeeze your glutes together, and tighten your quadriceps (the front of your legs). Your legs should be fully engaged (similar to how you should feel at the top of a squat position). Make sure your hips don’t drop or sag towards the floor. Keeping your legs properly engaged will also help prevent discomfort in your lower back.
- Keep your toes grounded and your weight in the balls of your feet. Your feet should be flexed with your toes reaching towards your head. You should not feel as if you are in a “tip-toe” position. Reach your heels award from you as if you were reaching the crown of your head and your heels in opposite directions.
- As soon as you begin to feel your form is suffering, lower out of the plank. You’re going for quality not quantity.
10 Different Plank Variations for a Stronger Core
Once you begin to feel comfortable with the basic plank and can hold it for at least a full 60 seconds with good form, try adding in different variation for added strength.
1. Modified Plank – This is a great modification for beginners. If you are still building strength, stay on your knees. This will help strengthen your abdominals and shoulder girdle to make sure your stabilizing muscles are strong enough to hold you once you lift your knees off the ground. You can hold this position, or you can always lower to this position once you start to become tired in a basic plank. Still make sure your entire body is engaged and your legs are active.
2. Basic Plank – This is the basic plank that you must perfect before moving on to the following variations. Aim to hold this position for at least 60 to 90 seconds before progressing. (See the tips and instructions above for perfecting this move.)
3. Full Plank – This plank may actually seem easier for some people who have stronger upper bodies than cores. This plank will build even more shoulder stability than the basic plank. When performing this plank, do not lock out your elbows. Keep your middle finger pointing straight forward with your fingers spread apart and press into your knuckles (to prevent discomfort in your wrists). Rotate the inside of your elbows forward to engage your biceps.
4. Rocking Plank – This plank is much harder than it looks. For this plank, you will start in a basic plank position and then, without lowering your hips, shift your shoulders forward, in front your your elbows, and then back, behind your shoulders. Think of pointing and flexing through your feet to move you. It’s a small move, but it will make your core burn! (In a good way!)
5. Side Plank – Lay on your RIGHT side, stacking your hips and feet. Position your bottom RIGHT elbow directly under your RIGHT shoulder. Lift your bottom hip off the ground to create a straight line in a plank. Your should be lifting from your bottom oblique and feel a slight pinch in the waistline. Reach your top hand towards the ceiling or place it on your top hip. Be sure to complete the side plank on both sides, you may notice one side is stronger than the other, and that’s normal, but we want to fix that as much as possible. (To modify this exercise, keep your bottom knee on the ground.)
6. Side Plank with Abduction – Only once you perfect the side plank for 60 seconds should you move onto this exercise. Lift to a side plank position, and keeping steady, lift your top leg a few inches off the ground, and then, with control, lower back to your bottom leg. Complete 10 abductions, and then switch sides.
7. Full Plank with Leg Lift – Starting in a full plank position on your hands, keep your hips steady and abs engaged as you lift one leg up, squeezing your glutes on that side. Hold for a second, and then switch to lift the other leg. The legs don’t have to lift very high, instead think about reaching them back and further away from you. Alternate for 10 repetitions on each side.
8. Military or Dynamic Plank – Starting in a basic plank position on your elbows, you will be pressing yourself up to a full plank. Place your RIGHT hand directly where your RIGHT elbow was to lift up, and as you do so place the LEFT hand where the LEFT elbow was. You should now be in a full plank. To lower back down, bend the RIGHT elbow and place it on the floor where the RIGHT hand was and repeat with the LEFT. Aim to complete 10 repetitions with the RIGHT arm leading the movement, then repeat starting with the LEFT arm leading.
9. Knee Tucks or Mountain Climbers – These can be performed slowly or quickly. Make sure you have the proper form before speeding up too much. In a full plank position, engage your abdominals and pull your RIGHT knee in towards your chest, using the lower abdominals. Place the RIGHT foot back in the plank position and repeat with the LEFT knee. Continue alternating knees for a total of 20-30 repetitions.
10. Alternating Shoulder Tap Planks – Starting in a full plank position, keep your hips as steady as possible as you reach your RIGHT hand to tap your LEFT shoulder. Place the RIGHT hand back into its starting position, and then tap the LEFT hand to the RIGHT shoulder. Continue alternating for 20-30 repetitions total.
Hopefully these variations will up your plank game and strengthen your core. Remember, quality is more important than quantity when it comes to planks — and always remember to breathe.
A quick note from our founder-
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That's right -- as a special launch promotion, we're offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) -- All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Help us create more awareness! Please SHARE this article...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat.
This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
P.S. Make sure you check out the next page to get to know the 10 simple moves that will bring vitality back into your life!
To begin, I apologize for the dark nature of today's email.
However I promise what you'll discover today will be completely worth it.
Imagine a rotting corpse draped over your body from head to toe...
...suffocating tissue, restricting blood flow, damaging joints and infecting your healthy cells.
Shockingly, that nightmare is a reality for most:
64% of women and 74% of men carry too much body fat according to the National Institutes of Health.
It's choking their organs, assaulting their metabolism and sucking their energy dry.
But here's the worst part:
For most, this bodyfat has become "calorie-resistant":
It's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
This zombie fat is essentially... "dead tissue".
That's important for those who have 10, 25 or 50 or more pounds to lose...
AND for those who aren't technically overweight, but have what's called "pocket obesity"...
...unsightly patches of fat that cling to specific places, like:
just above your hips, lower belly, where your butt and legs meet... and even arms, neck and face.
However, there's good news:
Obesity researchers have now discovered a "metabolic jumper cable":
It jolts dead bodyfat back to life.
This allows your metabolism to burn it as calories and re-energize your entire body.
First though, here's the #1 reason why bodyfat becomes calorie-resistant:
It lacks blood flow. This has 3 effects:
- Not enough oxygen or nutrients reach fat cells, so they become unresponsive..
- Released fat can't be sent to other tissues to be burned, so fat cells suck it back in...
- 3) Metabolic hormones carrying the "burn calories" message don't reach the fat cell...
All this means one thing:
Your body can't transform into energy, the 135,000+ of calories the average person stores as fat!
You become a metabolic zombie: NO energy to think. NO energy to move. NO energy to motivate.
Update: calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
The discovery of this "metabolic jumper cable" can now reverse this process:
- It wakes up un-responsive bodyfat with a powerful calorie-burning hormonal jolt....
- It pops open fat cells, sucks out the fat, sending it off before its yanked back in...
- It shuttles fat to your brain, heart, lungs, kidneys - even your bones - to be burned as energy.
Not only do those layers of "zombie fat" start coming off, but your entire body just works better.
Plus, as your whole body burns more calories, those patches of pocket obesity whittle away.
This "metabolic jumper cable" isn't any exercise, machine or pill.
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive.
It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know.
And on this next page, you'll find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
PS - Studies show that not only can healthy levels of this powerful calorie-burning hormone devour bodyfat and fortify soft muscle, but it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video. He's going to be the talk of 2016.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
Is Bread Really the Staff of Life… or the Stuff of Disease?
For most us, there are few foods more comforting than bread.
Fluffy biscuits, crusty baguettes, flaky croissants… even a simple slice of toast topped with melted butter can taste like heaven.
And that smell… few scents are quite as pleasant as fresh bread baking in the oven.
But there is a lot of confusion as to where bread fits into a healthy diet.
The Bible practically commands followers to eat it: “Give us this day our daily bread…” The government put it at the base of the food pyramid. And for centuries, it has been called “the staff of life.”
Of course, there are some who disagree…
Well-known cardiologist, Dr. William Davis, calls wheat “the perfect chronic poison.”
And for a poison, we sure eat lots of it…
The average American consumes 55 pounds of wheat flour every year, making refined flour the #1 source of calories in the American Diet – a situation that nutrition expert Chris Kresser describes as, “a public health catastrophe.”
So, what is the truth about bread and wheat?
- Is it the perfect poison… or an essential daily food?
- Is “gluten-free” bread better for you than regular bread?
- And can you still eat bread… while maintaining a lean body and optimal health?
The answers to these questions may surprise you!
Be sure to read #5 – the biggest surprise of all!
Recently, Doctor of Naturopathy, weight-loss expert and best-selling Amazon author Liz Swann Miller, creator of the Red Smoothie Detox Factor, revealed 2 of the secrets to easy, steady weight loss. Secrets the big food corporations do their best to hide from us.
Secret #1: Enjoy real food. Don’t fall for the lie that you have to deprive yourself to lose weight.
Secret #2: stop eating out. You will automatically eat less without even noticing.
Then start detoxing your body with tasty, nourishing smoothies that are just as easy on your wallet as they are easy to make.
Because a single day of enjoying Liz’ smoothies demonstrated the radical power of her superfood-packed red smoothies to make me feel incredibly good.
Now prepare yourself for one of the biggest weight loss secrets there is. A secret that, when you use it properly, can transform your body and your health.
You probably know most of us eat too much processed food. What you may not know is that it’s full of toxic chemicals and substandard, dirt-cheap ingredients designed to make you eat more…and force you to gain weight.
Here’s how it works.
“That stuff is just a lot of calories your body can’t use,” Liz told me, “Some are poison. And all these foods are stripped of the anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that help your body detox. The result? Your body expends huge amounts of calories to eliminate some toxins—the rest, it stores in your fat to protect you. This is why most people are hungry all the time. They’re not getting energy they need.”
“So… what’s going on with me? Why am I losing weight but not going hungry?”
Liz paused, then dropped the bombshell.
Your body is designed to burn fat. You just have to let it.
“What? I thought we were designed to store fat?!?” We were Skyping and I was practically shouting. Then I heard Liz say…
What good is a fat reserve if you can’t burn it?
Liz continued: “You’re drinking smoothies packed with phytonutrients, anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that pull toxins out of you like a tractor beam. Allowing your body to burn those toxin-filled fat stores… and releasing tremendous amounts of stored energy.”
So that’s why I’m losing weight without going hungry.
Watch Liz’ free presentation. It’s packed with revolutionary weight loss information—information that works. Because it’s based on how nature.
Click the button only if you want to wear smaller clothes, breathe easier, move more freely and just plain feel better.
- Which calories help you lose weight…and which ones help you gain it…
- The “diet” foods…some of them vegetables…that lead to weight gain and diabetes…
- The “low-fat” foods that can dramatically increase your risk of cancer.
- And the superfoods that rescue your body from this assault by detoxing you…
Revitalizing your metabolism so you can Shed pounds as well as toxins, renew your body and reset your internal clock by up to 7 years.
Because until now, the Red Smoothie Detox Factor has been available only to Liz’ private clients. But now that she’s perfected it to work for almost everyone, almost every time, Liz is sharing it with rest of us so we can feel better and look better.
Get Red Smoothie Detox Factor before the price goes back up.
Because Liz offers a ridiculously good guarantee. You have 60 days to decide you love the Red Smoothie Detox Factor. If you don’t love it—for any reason, or even no reason at all —Liz will refund your money. 100%. No questions asked.
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.