Cranberry sauce in a can has a special cult following, but the Jello-like substance that maintains the impression of the ridged can doesn’t hold a candle up to the real stuff. Sorry, we know it’s a touchy debate, but the homemade stuff boasts far more depth of flavor and nixes the obscene amount of corn syrup, both high-fructose and not. Just stuff this recipe into a can if you’ve got can die-hards at your table this Thanksgiving.
Debates aside, cranberry sauce is mercifully very simple to make Paleo. In fact, it’s simple to make, period. It requires you to throw a few ingredients into a sauce pan, boil until the cranberries pop into a sauce, and then leave it alone to set for an hour or so. It also tastes like autumn incarnate, with notes of tart cranberries, maple, orange zest and spice milling about in a sauce suited to top your bacon-wrapped turkey or eat all on its own.
Here is the trick
The trick to getting an adequately thick cranberry sauce is resisting the urge to throw it into the fridge promptly after cooking. When left at room temperature, the pectin released by bursting cranberries will set into a jelly, with sugar helping the firming process along. Of course, if you’re in a time crunch or want to serve the sauce warm, you can make a quick slurry of water and tapioca starch or arrowroot powder and whisk it into the sauce as it cooks. This will thicken it immediately.
Cranberry purists can feel free to omit the oranges (but not the zest, it’s amazing, trust us). If you’re of the opinion that more is always better, add nuts like walnuts, pecans or other festive varieties. Dried fruits like apricots or dates add sweetness and texture, while fresh grapes, pineapple and apple add crunch to your sauce. Have fun and have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Paleo cranberry sauce recipe
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
- 1 12 oz package cranberries
- 4 small oranges (mandarin, clementine or any variety you prefer)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 t cinnamon
- Optional: tapioca starch or arrowroot powder and water, made into a slurry
How to Make It:
1. Rinse your cranberries. Wash oranges, then zest all four oranges using a Microplane or a Grater. Peel oranges and segment them.
2. In a saucepan, add cranberries, oranges, orange zest, maple syrup, coconut sugar, water and cinnamon. Bring mixture to a boil—be careful, cranberries will be bursting.
3. Once boiling, turn heat to low. Simmer sauce for 20 minutes. If you’d like, whisk in your slurry here.
4. Pour sauce into a bowl and allow it to cool and set at room temperature for at least one hour. Store in fridge until ready to serve.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.