This recipe uses only coconut flour, which is high in fiber and protein and is easy on the stomachs of those intolerant of wheat. This recipe is paleo-friendly and keeps you full without feeling like you need to go back to bed!
Coconut Flour Health Benefits
Coconut flour is growing in popularity as more people discover the many health benefits of coconut flour nutrition, in addition to its many uses as a delicious, gluten-free, and healthy alternative to other flours.
What do you need to know about coconut flour nutrition? Coconut flour is high in fiber, protein, and healthy fats and is free from wheat and other grains. It is also low in sugar, digestible carbohydrates and calories, and has a low score on the glycemic index.
This makes coconut flour a favorite amongst paleo dieters, gluten free eaters including those with Celiac Disease or a gluten sensitivity, those with digestive problems like leaky gut syndrome, anyone with a nut allergy, those with diabetes, vegetarians, and just about everyone else in between.
Coconut flour is made from ground and dried coconut meat. Once the outer green husk of a coconut is removed, what remains inside is the rich, inner white lining which is the coconut meat.
Coconut flour is not actually “flour” in the way we normally think of it; it contains zero grains, zero nuts, and is made completely of pure coconut. Flour can be made from many things including nuts, seeds, dried vegetables, and of course coconut meat.
Coconut meat is the white, firm part of the coconut that you would find if you cracked open the fresh coconut and scraped out the insides, but this needs to have its milk separated in order to produce the dry “flour”’. Once the meat is strained and separated from the coconut’s milk, it is baked at a low temperature to dry it out and create a powdery flour made entirely of coconut.
[health benefits via Dr. Josh Axe]
Coconut Flour Pancake Recipe
For the Pancakes
2 pastured eggs
¼ cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon olive oil (or 2 tablespoons melted organic butter)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
For the Blueberry Topping
1/2 cup fresh or frozen organic blueberries
2 tablespoons honey
½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Start by preparing your blueberry topping, as it can simmer while making the pancake batter. In a small saucepan over low heat, add the blueberries and honey and cover with a lid. If you are using fresh blueberries, add about a tablespoon of water. After about 3 minutes, checks on the blueberries – once juices begin to seep out, add the cinnamon and stir well. Cover again and continue to heat blueberries for about 10 to 15 minutes, checking occasionally. The topping is ready when the juices formed are syrupy and the blueberries are plump and hot. If you’re looking for thick syrup, simply mash the blueberries with a fork while they are cooking in the saucepan. This time, I kept the blueberries whole. Once ready, remove from heat and leave the cover on to keep warm.
- While blueberries are on the stove, prepare pancake batter. In a mixing bowl, combine all wet ingredients and beat together. Add the coconut flour, baking powder and salt and continue to mix until all clumps are smoothed out and you’re left with a very thick batter. If you are using a mixer, you might need to scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to get the coconut flour fully integrated. Allow batter to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-low. Once warm, spread a dollop of butter evenly over the skillet. Using a spoon or rubber spatula, portion out about a third of the batter and shape it into a pancake on the skillet. Coconut flour pancakes need to be manipulated more than the standard all-purpose flour pancakes, as coconut flour tends to hold its shape. (Note: If your pancakes begin to melt around the edges, it is because there is not enough coconut flour in your batch. Add more coconut flour a teaspoon at a time until the batter stays together on the skillet.)
- Repeat this step for the remaining 2/3 of the batter (this recipe makes 3 medium-sized pancakes), giving each pancake plenty of space for flipping. Allow pancakes to sit on the skillet for about 7 to 10 minutes (yup, that’s how long these bad boys need before flipping). Carefully work a large spatula under each pancake and gently flip (it is easy to “break” coconut pancakes, so the flipping process is the most difficult part about this recipe). Allow the pancakes to cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes then remove from heat.
- Top pancakes with the blueberry topping and confectioner’s sugar (you know…to make them pretty) . If you are looking for more sweetness: drizzle, honey or pure maple syrup over the tops of the cakes.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.