Since I was a child, my mother has always been telling me that certain foods can keep my skin clear and glowing; that they can make my eyes piercingly white; that they can soften dry spots on my elbows, knees; that they can make my hair shinier, thicker. And the lists goes on.
With this idea in mind, it’s kind of funny to think there are so many expensive products on the market that promise to do such things, while I’ve been under the assumption that food can be the cure-all.
Not All Coconut Oil is Created Equally
So when coconut oil came into the picture in recent years, touted for a never-ending list of beauty benefits, internal health benefits, and its ability to promote wellness in a variety of other ways, I really wasn’t surprised, but I was certainly elated.
So, I went to the store and picked up the first jar of coconut oil I spotted, and got to using it. However, I soon learned that not all coconut oil is created equal.
Whether I’m putting a dollop in my coffee to promote a healthy metabolism, placing it on a cotton boll to remove makeup, moisturizing my skin with it, using it as my cooking oil of choice, and so much more, I make sure to use the right kind.
How to Pick the “Right Kind” of Coconut Oil
Not sure what the “right” kind is? Let’s break it down.
There are two main types of coconut oil: virgin and refined.
Here are some of the main differences:
(Nutvia Organic Virgin Coconut Oil)
- Coconut scent and flavor
- Heat up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Made from fresh coconuts
- Certified organic and non-GMO
(Nutvia Organic Refined Coconut Oil)
- Neutral scent and flavor
- Heat up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Made from dried coconuts
- Steam refined, no chemicals used
- Certified organic and non-GMO
And here’s how it’s made:
- Made from fresh coconut meat that’s been cold pressed.
- Just the oil is left behind.
- It results in pure coconut flavor.
- Made using dried coconut meat.
- The oil is gently steam refined to achieve a neutral flavor.
- NOTE: Not all companies are created equal, and some use harsh chemicals.
It Depends on HOW You Will Use it…
As I’ve already loudly hinted at, coconut oil can be used in so many ways, from baking and cooking to body and hair care. Virgin and refined coconut oil can be used interchangeably. It’s merely all about your personal preference based on the taste and smell you desire.
If you’re using it to cook, for instance, you might want to pick up the refined varietal, since it has a higher smoke point of 400 degrees. It also has a neutral flavor.
As far as which type is better for you, they share the same nutritional profile, boasting a 63 percent medium chain triglycerides, including 50 percent lauric acid.
What to Look For When Shopping for Coconut Oil
When you’re at the store, just make sure you look for some key characteristics:
- Certified organic
- Verified non-GMO
- Make sure that virgin coconut oil is:
- Made without hexane
- Never deodorized or bleached
- Make sure that refined coconut oil:
- Has never been refined using harsh chemicals
- Be sure to check that it is steam-refined
11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.