I was happy to see the pic of our homemade fizzy ginger-turmeric ale got so many attention and comments on social media… so as promised, I’m going to share this lovely recipe with all of you.
I love ginger ale. And we all know how good turmeric is for you. So we put them together and the results were amazing!
This article will show you how make it at home!
Turmeric-Ginger Ale Soda, The Recipe
First of all – start with making a ginger bug or live culture. It is actually super easy. The only thing you’ll need is ginger, water, sugar and some patience. It takes about 7 to 8 days to get it nice and bubbly.
It’s super easy to make and can be kept “alive” for ages in your fridge or on your countertop.MAKING THE GINGER BUG…Ingredients
- 1-2 fresh ginger roots
- ½ cup white or unrefined sugar (honey, stevia, agave, maple, molasses or other sweeteners will NOT work)
- 2 cups filtered water (chlorine-free, chlorine can harm the culture)
- Grate 3 tablespoons of ginger and place in a quart size jar.
- Add 3 tablespoons of sugar and 2 cups of water.
- Stir with a wooden or plastic spoon and lightly cover with a coffee filter or cheese cloth and rubber band. .
- For the next 5 days (it may take 7-8 days depending on the temperature, but no longer): stir the mixture at least once a day and add 1 tablespoon grated ginger and 1 tablespoon sugar.
- An active culture will form bubbles, become cloudy, smell yeasty, and fizz when stirred. If mold appears, scrape it of. When too much mold appears or the process takes longer than 7 to 8 days, start over.
- Keep away from other cultures like scoby or sauerkraut to avoid contamination.
- Feed the culture daily with one teaspoon sugar and one teaspoon grated ginger or let it rest in the fridge. When resting in the fridge don’t forget to feed it every week, 1 tablespoon sugar and one tablespoon grated ginger.
- To reactivate the culture, bring it back to room temperature and daily feed it again.
Making The Soda
Once you’ve got your ginger bug, you can make the soda…
- ½ gallon (or about 2 liters) water
- ⅓ cup fresh turmeric root (or more), grated
- 1 cup sugar (white or raw palm sugar, sweeteners like honey or agave won’t work)
- About 2 cups ginger bug (we used about 400 ml)
- 2 oranges (or grapefruit or pomelo), juice only
- 4 limes (or lemons), juice only
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper (to improve the bio-availability of turmeric active compound curcumin)
FYI: the culturing process works best with white sugar, we always use raw palm sugar though, which works fine as well but takes a bit longer.
And of course no worries about drinking heaps of sugar- all the sugar will be converted and your drink will not be a sugar bomb or tasting sweet at all.
- First things first, make a healthy, bubbling ginger bug or starter culture. See step 1.
- In a pot, bring water, turmeric and sugar to a boil. Boil for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once the mixture has cooled down, add the ginger bug, black pepper, orange juice, and lemon juice. Stir well.
- Strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve to remove turmeric and ginger bug debris.
- Pour the mixture into soda bottles that have swing tops or tight fitting screw top lids. Allow the bottles to sit for 2 to 4 days on room temperature. This will depend on the temperature. We live in the tropics so for us it takes only 2 days to get a nice fizz into the drink.
- Regularly check the bottles by giving them a squeeze, they will get hard while the fizz or carbonation builds up. If not checking them regularly they can explode and you won’t like the yellow turmeric staining your kitchen walls.
- Once a day open up the cap and they should make a fizzy sound. When you put the cap back on the carbonation will build up again.
- Once you get a decent amount of fizz in it, refrigerate to stop the process.
- Once they are cold, they are ready to drink. You can store them in the fridge for up to a week or even 2 weeks. But our bottles never last longer than a week though… it’s too delicious to keep them in the fridge.
Once you get used to making your own fizzy drinks you can start to experiment with adding more turmeric, ginger or use other fresh fruit juices instead. Watermelon is very delicious, just use your blender to make fresh juice out of the fruit and strain to remove seeds.Berries are very delicious too. And in my last batch I added some green tea leaves to the boiling water as well. As you see your options of adding flavor are endless.
11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.