There is something about the soothing scent and glow from a flickering candle to warm the room.
As an adult, one of my favorite Christmas gifts was a gift card to a popular candle store.
Until I learned that not only was I filling my home with an artificial (although pleasant) fragrance, toxin were included in the fumes…
Toxic as Cigarettes?
Many candles are made with paraffin or paraffin blend. This petroleum derivative is an inexpensive wax which is why it is often utilized by manufacturers.
People with asthma can have increased respiratory difficulty around burning paraffin candles and can be as dangerous as second hand smoke.
When melted, paraffin releases fumes that are similar to those of a diesel engine, filling the air with carcinogenic chemicals.
Benzene and toluene are known carcinogens that are released into the air from melted paraffin causing headaches to lung cancer.
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health recommended limited exposure to paraffin wax fumes. Paraffin fumes have been found to cause tumors in the kidneys and liver of lab animals.
- In 2003, the use of lead in candle wicks were banned in the USA. The lead was used in the wicks to help them stand up straight and stiff but when lit, they release lead into the air at dangerous levels. Unfortunately, imported candles do not have the same regulations and still include lead wicks, releasing 5 times the amount (of lead fumes) the EPA considers to be hazardous. Exposure to high levels of lead have been linked to numerous health problems, learning disabilities and hormone disruption.
- According to California’s Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, there are up to 20 toxins in paraffin candle wax, including: acetone, Trichlorofluoromethane, Carbon Disulfide, 2-Butanone, Trichloroethane, Trichloroethene, Carbon Tetrachloride, Tetrachloroethene, Chlorobenzene, Ethylbenzene, Styrene, Xylene, Phenol, Cresol, Cyclopentene.
- Allergic reactions can be caused by the synthetic scents and colors added to scented candles.
How to avoid these harmful toxins in candles
The old adage “you get what you pay for” certainly applies here. If the candles are very inexpensive that should be your first clue as to the quality of ingredients used.
Country of origin should also be a major concern.
- Avoid inexpensive “aromatherapy” and scented candles like Glade and Febreeze candles.
- Gel candles are made from the same petrochemicals as paraffin but have an added danger of their glass containers occasionally exploding.
- Cheap candles from the Dollar Store are usually imported and are likely to have lead wicks.
Here are two great alternatives…
Soy candles have become a popular alternative to paraffin candles. They burn clean, longer than paraffin candles and are soot-free. The downside to soy candles is they will spoil without a preservative and usually contain bleach and hardeners. This would not be my first choice since soy is the most genetically modified crop in the USA. I don’t think there would be any harm in burning a GMO soy candle but I would prefer not to spend my money supporting anything that has the potential of being genetically modified.
Beeswax candles come in all shapes and sizes, molded and in containers. They are non-toxic, non-allergenic, soot-free, burn the brightest, burn cleaner and burn 5 times as long as paraffin candles. Beeswax candles omit negative ions into the air when burned, invigorating the body. Although they usually cost about 10 times as much as paraffin candles, they are easy to make.
Sheets of beeswax can be purchased online. The sheets usually have a honey comb patterned pressed into the wax. The sheets can easily be rolled tightly into a tube shape around a long natural or cotton wick. Beeswax candles can also be made with candle molds or in jars.
Beeswax Mason Jar Candles
•1 lb cubed beeswax (from local bee keeper or organic pellets sold online, for easier melting)
•1/2 cup organic coconut oil
•Natural or cotton wicks
•Container for the candles (I used 1/2 pint mason jars)
•Double boiler (that you don’t mind designating for candle making) or a candle making pitcher
•Tie one end of the wick around the center of the pencil and center the wick into the jar, resting the metal wick base onto the bottom of the jar. Lay the pencil with tied wick horizontally on the top of the jar.
•Place the wax into the double boiler over med/low heat.
•Once the wax is melted, add the coconut oil
•Heat the combined was and coconut oil until it reaches the temperature of 150-160 on the candy thermometer.
•Pour a small amount into the prepared jars to cover 1/4 inch of the wick. Let the wax harden around the wick.
•With the wick secured, fill the jar with wax until 1/2 inch from the top of the jar.
•Let the candles rest and cool overnight.
•Trim the exposed wick to 1/4 inch in length.
•Essential oils can be added to further enhance the beautiful soft honey aroma and can include medicinal benefits.
•Dried herbs and flowers and even coffee beans can add to offer scent and a beautiful appearance to the candle.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.