The contents of automatic dishwasher detergents are highly toxic and if you read the label it is clearly stated that it is “harmful if swallowed” and “burns skin and throat.”
These following ingredients have the potential to cause long term health issues.
Ingredients commercial in dishwasher detergent:
- Ammonia – Ammonia is a very volatile chemical and can be to your health. Exposure to high concentrations of ammonia in air causes immediate burning of the eyes, nose, throat and respiratory tract and can result in blindness, lung damage or death.
- Coal Tar Dyes – Coal tar dyes are artificial coloring agents that are made from petroleum distillates. Dyes in cleaning products can be absorbed through the skin or ingested in the case of soap residue on dishes.
- Cocamide dea – This is a chemically-modified form of coconut oil used as a foaming agent. It’s also a possible carcinogen.
- Chlorine bleach – Concentrated amounts of chlorine is a leading ingredient of commercial dishwashing detergents. Due to the concentration of this cleaning agent, it has also become the #1 cause of household poisoning. Each time you wash your dishes, detergent residue is left on them, which accumulates with each washing and is picked up next time you use the dish. Further, when chlorine is released, it’s fumes are also released into the air thus causing bronchial issues and asthma.
- DEA (diethanolamine), MEA (monoethanolamine), TEA (triethanolamine) –Diethanolamine, or DEA, is synthesized from ethylene oxide and ammonia, and is used as a “wetting agent” to create a thick lather or creamy consistency when the product is mixed with water or spread onto the surface of the skin. One study showed that high doses of DEA caused liver tumors in animals. It has also been linked with cancers in the skin and thyroid. Even the FDA noted a 1998 study that found an association between DEA topical application (on the skin) and cancer in laboratory animals.
- Formaldehyde – This chemical is a cancer causing agent, as well has been found to cause severe asthma and allergies.
- SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate)/SLES (sodium laureth sulfate): Surfactants used in dish detergents for foam building. They are commonlly used because they’re inexpensive and effective at cutting through grease. Easily absorbed through the skin with the strongest concern being the potential contamination with 1,4 dioxane. Can cause skin rashes, eye irratations and allergic reactions.
- Fragrance: More than 3000 chemicals are used when making fragrance mixtures.These toxic fragrance compounds coat plates, glasses and silverware which ultimately become ingested when used. A safer alternative is to choose products scented with pure essential oils, not those with artificial chemicals.
- Glycol ethers – This is are grease-cutting compound that can damage developmental and reproductive systems. Overexposure to glycol ethers can cause anemia, intoxication, and irritation of the eyes and nose. In laboratory animals, low-level exposure to glycol ethers has caused birth defects and damage to sperm and testicles. The most commonly used glycol ether, 2-butoxyethanol, has been shown to cause liver cancer in animals.
- Phosphates – According to Cascade’s website, phosphates “helped with dishwashing performance by facilitating food removal, removing the calcium that binds these types of foods together, and aided in grease removal. They also helped control water hardness and bound/suspended soils within the wash water so they did not redistribute onto plates.” What they did not say is that phosphates pollute lakes, bays, and streams and can create algae blooms and starve fish of oxygen. Luckily, 17 states passed laws requiring the removal of phosphates from detergents.
- Sodium borate – Although sodium borate is a naturally-occurring mineral that poses high concerns for hormonal disruption.
Homemade Borax-Free Dishwasher Detergent
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/4 c. citric acid (where to find)
- 1/4 c. coarse salt
- 10-15 drops of lemon essential oil (where to find)
- Distilled white vinegar
Mix first 3 ingredients well in an air tight container. Add essential oil. Mix again. Fill your rinse aid compartment with undiluted white distilled vinegar.
Use 1 tsp. detergent for average loads.
Use 1 tbsp. detergent for extra greasy, dirty loads.
11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.