There are many people out there who consider themselves vegetarians but still eat eggs on a regular basis. I have learned that the correct name for these types of non-flesh eaters is ovo-vegetarians. Generally these people still eat eggs for a variety of reasons, such as: the idea that eggs provide them with the essential proteins, omega 3 fatty acids, and vitamin b12 that they may otherwise be lacking, and the idea that chickens produce eggs anyways and no animal was actually killed or harmed if the egg wasn’t fertilized.
Many people remain unaware of how inhumanely the majority of hens used for egg production are treated. Whether vegetarian, vegan, ovo-vegetarian, plant-based, carnivore, or whatever you choose to identify with, the following list of 21 things the egg industry does not want you to see will make you think twice about your egg consumption…
1. It takes approximately 36 hours for a hen to produce 1 egg.
2. To keep up with the demand, over 300 million hens are used each year by the U.S. egg industry alone.
3. The lives of these hens are full of misery right from the start.
4. The baby chicks are born in incubators such as these.
5. They never get the chance to see their mothers…
6. Shortly after being born, the males and females are separated
7. The females await the same fate as their mothers, living lives of misery laying eggs.
8. The males are tossed into plastic bags to suffocate or…
9. ground up alive.
10. The female chicks have their beaks cut off with a hot blade.
11. Between 5 and 11 hens are crammed into “battery” cages.
12. The cages are often stacked on top of each other.
13. This allows the urine and faeces from the stacked birds to fall onto the birds underneath.
14. It is not uncommon for the hens to die in their cages
15. Sometimes they rot alongside living birds in the cages.
16. After around 2 years the birds that have managed to survive are sent to the slaughterhouse.
17. The hens then face the same fate as the birds that are raised for their meat.
18. They are shackled and hung upside down.
19. They are electrocuted.
20. Their throats are cut open.
21. They are often scalded to death.
This list was adapted from www.peta.org
What About Cage-Free Eggs?
Do not be fooled by companies who advertise “cage-free.” These birds may not be raised in cages like the ones mentioned above, but this is merely just a marketing scam designed to keep up with the consumer demand for more ethical choices. While birds raised in this way do have a slightly better quality of life, all “cage-free” means is the birds are kept in a giant warehouse, packed with thousands of other birds who rarely see daylight, if at all. Many die, their carcasses rot, some get diseases, and other birds fight each other to the death. Other than that, their lives and deaths are pretty much the same.
What Can You Do?
Well, the obvious decision would be to stop eating eggs altogether; if you don’t like something, don’t support it! That being said, I understand some people either don’t want to or still would like to utilize some of the benefits eating can eggs provide. If you want to keep eggs in your diet, one thing you can do to opt-out of this vicious industry is buy organic eggs from pasture-raised chickens from a local farm that you know of and trust. Such hens are free to roam around as they please on a pasture and their feed should be free of antibiotics and hormones.
If you decide to opt-out of eating eggs altogether you can still get your protein and omega 3’s from many alternative sources, including flax and hemp seeds and dark green leafy vegetables. And if it’s the taste rather than the nutritional aspect of eating eggs that keeps you coming back for more, give this vegan egg recipe a shot (pictured below).
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.