You’d think that grocery shopping would be one of the easier things in life. A simple necessity, the process of choosing and buying food is practically a family tradition for many people, and certainly was for me. I remember countless trips to the grocery store with my family as a child, and it’s something we all have to continue doing as adults, yet a surprising number of us still don’t really know how to grocery shop. This may sound odd at first, but it’s taken me a lot of trial and error to learn how to choose a fresh and ripe fruit or a tender vegetable, and I know I’m not the only one.
When shopping for food, the produce aisle should be your best friend. It’s in this section of the store where you’ll find foods in their most whole and pure form, something our body appreciates and uses much better than processed and chemical-filled foods. Certain foods can help you in the fight against cancer, cleanse your liver, and even raise your vibration, and women can even ease their menstrual pain by choosing to eat certain foods during that time of the month. And if you’d like to take your produce shopping to the next level, choose organic so you can avoid the added pesticides and hormone-disrupting chemicals.
I’ve compiled a list of some food hacks for those of us who may need a little more direction, or maybe a refresher for those well experienced produce shoppers.
How to choose…
The Perfect Watermelon
- A watermelon is about 92% water, so pick it up! It should feel heavy for its size.
- Inspect it for a yellow spot. Watermelons develop a spot where they rest on the ground. When this spot is creamy yellow, it indicates it spent more time on the vine sweetening up, meaning it’s ripe. If that spot is white or the melon doesn’t have a spot at all, it’s underripe.
- The surface should be pretty hard/firm. If the flesh is soft, it’s likely going to produce a dull thud when you knock it. If it’s ripe, it will produce a deep, hollow sound.
- If it has a shiny appearance, it’s underripe. This applies to honeydew melons as well.
- Look for an evenly shaped melon. Oval or round are also perfectly fine, but if it has uneven lumps, it may have had inconsistent access to sun or water. TIP: Oblong watermelons are male, and the round, spherical ones are female. Female watermelons tend to be sweeter, while the males tend to be juicier.
- Grey/brown squiggles on the surface of some watermelons are marks that occur due to pollination, and also indicate a sweet melon.
- If it has a stem, it’s best to pass, because it was likely picked early — unless the stem is brown and about to fall off.
The Best Bell Peppers
- Female peppers have four bumps and are full of seeds. These are best to eat raw, as they are sweeter.
- Males have three bumps and are better for cooking.
- Look for a glossy sheen and no shrivelling, cracks, or soft spots.
- Bell peppers should feel heavy for their size, indicating fully developed walls.
- They develop a stronger flavour when cooked; overcooked, they are bitter.
- Store sweet peppers in a plastic bag in your refrigerator’s crisper drawer. Green ones stay firm for a week; other colours soften in three or four days.
- Red peppers are simply mature green peppers; yellow and orange peppers are different, sweeter varieties.
- Peppers should be firm when you buy them.
The Freshest Beets
- Small, young beets (about 1 1/2 inches in diameter) are tender and cook in less time than larger ones.
- Small, young beets are tasty grated raw in salads.
- Select beets that are firm with smooth, hard, skin that is dark red or golden yellow, depending on the variety.
- The surface should be unbruised and free of cuts.
- If you plan on cooking the leaves, make sure they are bright green or at least dark green
- If the leaves are removed, be sure that at least 1
- tomatoes if you can. Ripe tomatoes are fragrant, but even mature green ones should have a mild fragrance that promises future ripeness. If there is no aroma, it’s likely to have been picked immaturely and will never properly ripen.
- Fully ripe tomatoes are soft and yield to the touch; buy them only if you plan to use them immediately.
- Once ripe, tomatoes will last two to three days.
- Overripe tomatoes are perfect for making sauce or roasting.
- Size doesn’t affect flavour, texture, or quality.
- Keep tomatoes at room temperature on a plate; never in a plastic bag.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.