Triclosan is a “super chemical” meant to fight the spread of germs, but with the emergence of drug-resistant superbugs, the question is whether it really fights the good fight or just creates bigger problems. The answer is pretty straightforward. Triclosan is a major player when it comes to the problem of antibiotic resistance, which is becoming more common and more deadly with each passing year.In this article Dr. Axe explores the Dangers of Triclosan including 4 specific health risks. We’ll also look at popular Triclosan-Containing Products and investigate how some are trying to banning this ingredient..
Dangers of Triclosan
Are you wondering what triclosan even is? It’s a potent wide-spectrum antibacterial and antifungal agent used in many household products today, such as hand soap, toothpaste, toys, bedding and beauty products. It fights against surface bacteria to help eliminate the spread of disease and infectious agents.This chemical was first brought to market in 1969 by the drug company Novartis for hospital use but was soon spread to the consumer market en masse. The chemical compound, which is an organic polychloro phenoxy phenol, breaks down to a dioxin when used in products after targeting bacteria through fatty acid synthesis.Recent studies have suggested it has numerous and severe adverse health and environmental risks, especially after the compound degrades to dioxin. There’s now mounting efforts to issue a triclosan ban in the U.S. because of these risks, and many companies are discreetly reformulating their products that contained the dangerous compound. (1)Instead of mouthwash, why not just grab a can of agent orange to rinse that morning breath away? That sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it? But that’s close to what you’re doing when you use mouthwash and other products with triclosan. Yes, the notorious chemical used in the Vietnam War is a compound cousin of triclosan!
The dangers of triclosan have been studied more and more in recent years, and the evidence is mounting of its negative effects on humans, animals and the environment. The midcentury chemical skirted under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) in 1976, as all chemicals in use prior to the act were able to be grandfathered in, something many activists point to as indicating the ineptitude of many regulations and the agencies that enforce or appoint them.In fact, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), which enacted the TSCA, grandfathered in the already existing 60,000 chemicals that were on the market in the late 1970s. To make matters worse, the EPA only tested several hundred of them and only deemed around five to be semi-regulated. There are over 80,000 chemicals to date that have never been tested by the EPA and are deemed safe to use in products! (2)There’s no good reason to use products containing triclosan. One of the most common ways it’s likely in your life is through the use of antibacterial soap. But antibacterial soaps are no more effective than conventional soap and water!
4 Health Risks associated with Triclosan
Forty-two years of U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) research (along with countless independent studies) have produced no evidence that triclosan provides any health benefits as compared to old-fashioned soap. (3) If that’s not reason enough to stop using antibacterial soap and other triclosan-laced products, then read on to learn more about the many possible health problems this chemical compound contributes to.
1. Hormonal ProblemsNumerous studies have shown that triclosan alters testosterone and thyroid serum levels. It also affects estrogen adaptors and synthesis. Since triclosan stores itself in certain cells and has been found to hide in breast milk and blood, it can have long-term hormonal effects that have a potential to be passed along, affecting immune system health, fertility and pregnancy. (4)The hormonal effects impact the entire endocrine system, from vital organ growth and response to the release of essential chemicals in the body, making this dangerous substance an endocrine disruptor.
2. Allergies Triclosan exposure leads to the development of allergies, especially a problem with children and their young, developing immune systems. It changes the bacterial flora on the skin of susceptible, growing children. Hay fever, asthma and seasonal allergy symptoms in children are a large concern with using products that contain triclosan.A 2013 Norwegian study looked at the effect of triclosan on 10-year-old children. The study found that triclosan concentrations in urine samples were associated with allergic sensitization, especially inhalant and seasonal allergens, rather than food allergens. The study found that triclosan levels measured in urine were associated with elevated levels of immunoglobulin E and rhinitis (blocked nose/hay fever) in the 623 children studied. (5)Studies in the U.S. have yielded similar results. (6)
3. CancerWhen triclosan degrades, it turns into dioxin. Dioxin is a carcinogen and has been linked to different types of cancer. In fact, triclosan can manifest itself in the body as a producer of uncontrolled cell growth. When combined with chlorinated, toxic tap water, it was found to form chloroform, which is another carcinogen.One study showed that long-term exposure to triclosan on rats caused liver damage, including cases of liver cancer. The carcinogenic properties of the degraded compound in conjunction with its interaction of reducing positive bacterial flora is highly concerning for cancer growth. (7)
4. Environmental HazardsThe chemical’s dioxins leak into the water supply and when mixed with UV radiation exposure (sunlight) can have seriously negative environmental impacts. Studies have shown that this dangerous substance is present in nearly 60 percent of U.S. streams and rivers from being washed down our drains on a daily basis. It can damage aquatic animals and plant life, kill algae, and affect and even change hormones and sex of fish.It has been found in fish, dolphins, marine worms and even earthworms. The fact that scientists have found triclosan in dolphins that swim off the East Coast of the U.S. shows that it’s really getting deeper into the environment and moving through the ocean’s food chain. (8) It’s also been detected in the Great Lakes, increasing water toxicity
We live in a world currently suffering from a serious case of antibacterial overkill. There are many products on the shelves today that contain triclosan, but remarketing efforts have manipulated labels so you can’t just look for “triclosan.” Companies have labeled the chemical catchy words like “BioFresh” and “MicroBan,” as well as Irgasan, Lexol, Ster-Zac and Cloxifenolum. The umbrella of products that contain the chemical is growing, including bedding, cutting boards and even workout clothes.Popular products that contain the chemical include antibacterial hand and body soaps, toothpastes, mouthwashes, cosmetics including foundations and moisturizers, first aid products, kitchenware, office supplies like pencils and binders, humidifiers, filters, and more.Some popular brand names that use it in some or all of their products include: Colgate, Arm and Hammer, Queen Helene, Garden Botanika, Reach, Tea Tree Therapy, CVS, BioFresh and more. (9)
Even if you have been careful in avoiding the toxic chemical in your household, you probably have come in contact with triclosan in some aspect of your life. In fact, a recent government study showed that triclosan is present inside 75 percent of Americans! (10) The massive exposure mixed with concerning effects has led it to be considered for a ban by several groups and lawmakers.Triclosan was first issued a patent in 1969, not for fighting bacteria, but as a pesticide! (11) Now that a ban is being considered, many manufacturers are fighting back due to the nearly $370 million cost that would be assumed by the manufacturers. Some companies, such Henkel Corp., which makes Dial, Johnson & Johnson, and Proctor & Gamble products, are pre-empting the regulation by replacing it or taking it out of their products altogether. (12)House Rules Committee Chairwoman Louise Slaughter is now urging triclosan to be banned, stating that triclosan is “clearly a threat to our health.” In a letter written to the FDA, she outlined the various hazards of the chemical, as well as some of the cost-related issues and regulatory concerns that are related to the production, usage and health-related expenditures of products contain triclosan. (13)New York State Representative Tim Kennedy is also now calling for products containing triclosan to be removed from the shelves. He’s primarily concerned with the effects it has on water supplies, as his district is near Lake Erie. (14)
Triclosan Side Effects
When you use a product containing triclosan, you can absorb a small amount through your skin or mouth. Triclosan side effects are similar to their dangers. Immediate side effects for triclosan toothpaste and other triclosan products are endocrine-based, as well as epidermal.Triclosan is also a lipophilic. That means it stores itself inside fat cells in your body and can manifest itself in breast milk, urine and blood. These can lead to long-term and chronic side effects.Triclosan destroys good bacteria and T-helper cells. Bad bacteria’s longtime exposure to the triclosan has allowed adaptation for the germs. The widespread use of triclosan has led to the rise of superbugs that have become resistant to the chemical and have caused epidemic level sickness and diseases — and even antibiotic resistance — as well! (15)
Triclosan has also been linked to muscle weakness. When University of California at Davis researchers exposed the individual muscle fibers of fish and mice to triclosan, they found it impaired the normal contraction mechanism of muscle fibers. Both skeletal and cardiac muscle no longer operated normally, and this was true when the mice and fish were tested themselves or their muscle fibers were examined individually in a test tube. Mice also showed up to a 25 percent reduction in heart function measured within 20 minutes of exposure to triclosan.Experts say these animal studies should serve as a warning to humans of potential dangers of triclosan exposure.“This is an interesting and potentially concerning finding,” said Dr. Philip J. Landrigan, dean of global health in the department of preventive medicine at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City. “Many synthetic chemicals now known to be toxic to humans were first recognized as toxic in animal studies.” (16)
A quick note from our founder-
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That's right -- as a special launch promotion, we're offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) -- All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Help us create more awareness! Please SHARE this article...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat.
This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
P.S. Make sure you check out the next page to get to know the 10 simple moves that will bring vitality back into your life!
To begin, I apologize for the dark nature of today's email.
However I promise what you'll discover today will be completely worth it.
Imagine a rotting corpse draped over your body from head to toe...
...suffocating tissue, restricting blood flow, damaging joints and infecting your healthy cells.
Shockingly, that nightmare is a reality for most:
64% of women and 74% of men carry too much body fat according to the National Institutes of Health.
It's choking their organs, assaulting their metabolism and sucking their energy dry.
But here's the worst part:
For most, this bodyfat has become "calorie-resistant":
It's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
This zombie fat is essentially... "dead tissue".
That's important for those who have 10, 25 or 50 or more pounds to lose...
AND for those who aren't technically overweight, but have what's called "pocket obesity"...
...unsightly patches of fat that cling to specific places, like:
just above your hips, lower belly, where your butt and legs meet... and even arms, neck and face.
However, there's good news:
Obesity researchers have now discovered a "metabolic jumper cable":
It jolts dead bodyfat back to life.
This allows your metabolism to burn it as calories and re-energize your entire body.
First though, here's the #1 reason why bodyfat becomes calorie-resistant:
It lacks blood flow. This has 3 effects:
- Not enough oxygen or nutrients reach fat cells, so they become unresponsive..
- Released fat can't be sent to other tissues to be burned, so fat cells suck it back in...
- 3) Metabolic hormones carrying the "burn calories" message don't reach the fat cell...
All this means one thing:
Your body can't transform into energy, the 135,000+ of calories the average person stores as fat!
You become a metabolic zombie: NO energy to think. NO energy to move. NO energy to motivate.
Update: calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
The discovery of this "metabolic jumper cable" can now reverse this process:
- It wakes up un-responsive bodyfat with a powerful calorie-burning hormonal jolt....
- It pops open fat cells, sucks out the fat, sending it off before its yanked back in...
- It shuttles fat to your brain, heart, lungs, kidneys - even your bones - to be burned as energy.
Not only do those layers of "zombie fat" start coming off, but your entire body just works better.
Plus, as your whole body burns more calories, those patches of pocket obesity whittle away.
This "metabolic jumper cable" isn't any exercise, machine or pill.
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive.
It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know.
And on this next page, you'll find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
PS - Studies show that not only can healthy levels of this powerful calorie-burning hormone devour bodyfat and fortify soft muscle, but it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video. He's going to be the talk of 2016.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
Is Bread Really the Staff of Life… or the Stuff of Disease?
For most us, there are few foods more comforting than bread.
Fluffy biscuits, crusty baguettes, flaky croissants… even a simple slice of toast topped with melted butter can taste like heaven.
And that smell… few scents are quite as pleasant as fresh bread baking in the oven.
But there is a lot of confusion as to where bread fits into a healthy diet.
The Bible practically commands followers to eat it: “Give us this day our daily bread…” The government put it at the base of the food pyramid. And for centuries, it has been called “the staff of life.”
Of course, there are some who disagree…
Well-known cardiologist, Dr. William Davis, calls wheat “the perfect chronic poison.”
And for a poison, we sure eat lots of it…
The average American consumes 55 pounds of wheat flour every year, making refined flour the #1 source of calories in the American Diet – a situation that nutrition expert Chris Kresser describes as, “a public health catastrophe.”
So, what is the truth about bread and wheat?
- Is it the perfect poison… or an essential daily food?
- Is “gluten-free” bread better for you than regular bread?
- And can you still eat bread… while maintaining a lean body and optimal health?
The answers to these questions may surprise you!
Be sure to read #5 – the biggest surprise of all!
Recently, Doctor of Naturopathy, weight-loss expert and best-selling Amazon author Liz Swann Miller, creator of the Red Smoothie Detox Factor, revealed 2 of the secrets to easy, steady weight loss. Secrets the big food corporations do their best to hide from us.
Secret #1: Enjoy real food. Don’t fall for the lie that you have to deprive yourself to lose weight.
Secret #2: stop eating out. You will automatically eat less without even noticing.
Then start detoxing your body with tasty, nourishing smoothies that are just as easy on your wallet as they are easy to make.
Because a single day of enjoying Liz’ smoothies demonstrated the radical power of her superfood-packed red smoothies to make me feel incredibly good.
Now prepare yourself for one of the biggest weight loss secrets there is. A secret that, when you use it properly, can transform your body and your health.
You probably know most of us eat too much processed food. What you may not know is that it’s full of toxic chemicals and substandard, dirt-cheap ingredients designed to make you eat more…and force you to gain weight.
Here’s how it works.
“That stuff is just a lot of calories your body can’t use,” Liz told me, “Some are poison. And all these foods are stripped of the anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that help your body detox. The result? Your body expends huge amounts of calories to eliminate some toxins—the rest, it stores in your fat to protect you. This is why most people are hungry all the time. They’re not getting energy they need.”
“So… what’s going on with me? Why am I losing weight but not going hungry?”
Liz paused, then dropped the bombshell.
Your body is designed to burn fat. You just have to let it.
“What? I thought we were designed to store fat?!?” We were Skyping and I was practically shouting. Then I heard Liz say…
What good is a fat reserve if you can’t burn it?
Liz continued: “You’re drinking smoothies packed with phytonutrients, anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that pull toxins out of you like a tractor beam. Allowing your body to burn those toxin-filled fat stores… and releasing tremendous amounts of stored energy.”
So that’s why I’m losing weight without going hungry.
Watch Liz’ free presentation. It’s packed with revolutionary weight loss information—information that works. Because it’s based on how nature.
Click the button only if you want to wear smaller clothes, breathe easier, move more freely and just plain feel better.
- Which calories help you lose weight…and which ones help you gain it…
- The “diet” foods…some of them vegetables…that lead to weight gain and diabetes…
- The “low-fat” foods that can dramatically increase your risk of cancer.
- And the superfoods that rescue your body from this assault by detoxing you…
Revitalizing your metabolism so you can Shed pounds as well as toxins, renew your body and reset your internal clock by up to 7 years.
Because until now, the Red Smoothie Detox Factor has been available only to Liz’ private clients. But now that she’s perfected it to work for almost everyone, almost every time, Liz is sharing it with rest of us so we can feel better and look better.
Get Red Smoothie Detox Factor before the price goes back up.
Because Liz offers a ridiculously good guarantee. You have 60 days to decide you love the Red Smoothie Detox Factor. If you don’t love it—for any reason, or even no reason at all —Liz will refund your money. 100%. No questions asked.
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.