Triclosan is a “super chemical” meant to fight the spread of germs, but with the emergence of drug-resistant superbugs, the question is whether it really fights the good fight or just creates bigger problems. The answer is pretty straightforward. Triclosan is a major player when it comes to the problem of antibiotic resistance, which is becoming more common and more deadly with each passing year.In this article Dr. Axe explores the Dangers of Triclosan including 4 specific health risks. We’ll also look at popular Triclosan-Containing Products and investigate how some are trying to banning this ingredient..
Dangers of Triclosan
Are you wondering what triclosan even is? It’s a potent wide-spectrum antibacterial and antifungal agent used in many household products today, such as hand soap, toothpaste, toys, bedding and beauty products. It fights against surface bacteria to help eliminate the spread of disease and infectious agents.This chemical was first brought to market in 1969 by the drug company Novartis for hospital use but was soon spread to the consumer market en masse. The chemical compound, which is an organic polychloro phenoxy phenol, breaks down to a dioxin when used in products after targeting bacteria through fatty acid synthesis.Recent studies have suggested it has numerous and severe adverse health and environmental risks, especially after the compound degrades to dioxin. There’s now mounting efforts to issue a triclosan ban in the U.S. because of these risks, and many companies are discreetly reformulating their products that contained the dangerous compound. (1)Instead of mouthwash, why not just grab a can of agent orange to rinse that morning breath away? That sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it? But that’s close to what you’re doing when you use mouthwash and other products with triclosan. Yes, the notorious chemical used in the Vietnam War is a compound cousin of triclosan!
The dangers of triclosan have been studied more and more in recent years, and the evidence is mounting of its negative effects on humans, animals and the environment. The midcentury chemical skirted under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) in 1976, as all chemicals in use prior to the act were able to be grandfathered in, something many activists point to as indicating the ineptitude of many regulations and the agencies that enforce or appoint them.In fact, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), which enacted the TSCA, grandfathered in the already existing 60,000 chemicals that were on the market in the late 1970s. To make matters worse, the EPA only tested several hundred of them and only deemed around five to be semi-regulated. There are over 80,000 chemicals to date that have never been tested by the EPA and are deemed safe to use in products! (2)There’s no good reason to use products containing triclosan. One of the most common ways it’s likely in your life is through the use of antibacterial soap. But antibacterial soaps are no more effective than conventional soap and water!
4 Health Risks associated with Triclosan
Forty-two years of U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) research (along with countless independent studies) have produced no evidence that triclosan provides any health benefits as compared to old-fashioned soap. (3) If that’s not reason enough to stop using antibacterial soap and other triclosan-laced products, then read on to learn more about the many possible health problems this chemical compound contributes to.
1. Hormonal ProblemsNumerous studies have shown that triclosan alters testosterone and thyroid serum levels. It also affects estrogen adaptors and synthesis. Since triclosan stores itself in certain cells and has been found to hide in breast milk and blood, it can have long-term hormonal effects that have a potential to be passed along, affecting immune system health, fertility and pregnancy. (4)The hormonal effects impact the entire endocrine system, from vital organ growth and response to the release of essential chemicals in the body, making this dangerous substance an endocrine disruptor.
2. Allergies Triclosan exposure leads to the development of allergies, especially a problem with children and their young, developing immune systems. It changes the bacterial flora on the skin of susceptible, growing children. Hay fever, asthma and seasonal allergy symptoms in children are a large concern with using products that contain triclosan.A 2013 Norwegian study looked at the effect of triclosan on 10-year-old children. The study found that triclosan concentrations in urine samples were associated with allergic sensitization, especially inhalant and seasonal allergens, rather than food allergens. The study found that triclosan levels measured in urine were associated with elevated levels of immunoglobulin E and rhinitis (blocked nose/hay fever) in the 623 children studied. (5)Studies in the U.S. have yielded similar results. (6)
3. CancerWhen triclosan degrades, it turns into dioxin. Dioxin is a carcinogen and has been linked to different types of cancer. In fact, triclosan can manifest itself in the body as a producer of uncontrolled cell growth. When combined with chlorinated, toxic tap water, it was found to form chloroform, which is another carcinogen.One study showed that long-term exposure to triclosan on rats caused liver damage, including cases of liver cancer. The carcinogenic properties of the degraded compound in conjunction with its interaction of reducing positive bacterial flora is highly concerning for cancer growth. (7)
4. Environmental HazardsThe chemical’s dioxins leak into the water supply and when mixed with UV radiation exposure (sunlight) can have seriously negative environmental impacts. Studies have shown that this dangerous substance is present in nearly 60 percent of U.S. streams and rivers from being washed down our drains on a daily basis. It can damage aquatic animals and plant life, kill algae, and affect and even change hormones and sex of fish.It has been found in fish, dolphins, marine worms and even earthworms. The fact that scientists have found triclosan in dolphins that swim off the East Coast of the U.S. shows that it’s really getting deeper into the environment and moving through the ocean’s food chain. (8) It’s also been detected in the Great Lakes, increasing water toxicity
We live in a world currently suffering from a serious case of antibacterial overkill. There are many products on the shelves today that contain triclosan, but remarketing efforts have manipulated labels so you can’t just look for “triclosan.” Companies have labeled the chemical catchy words like “BioFresh” and “MicroBan,” as well as Irgasan, Lexol, Ster-Zac and Cloxifenolum. The umbrella of products that contain the chemical is growing, including bedding, cutting boards and even workout clothes.Popular products that contain the chemical include antibacterial hand and body soaps, toothpastes, mouthwashes, cosmetics including foundations and moisturizers, first aid products, kitchenware, office supplies like pencils and binders, humidifiers, filters, and more.Some popular brand names that use it in some or all of their products include: Colgate, Arm and Hammer, Queen Helene, Garden Botanika, Reach, Tea Tree Therapy, CVS, BioFresh and more. (9)
Even if you have been careful in avoiding the toxic chemical in your household, you probably have come in contact with triclosan in some aspect of your life. In fact, a recent government study showed that triclosan is present inside 75 percent of Americans! (10) The massive exposure mixed with concerning effects has led it to be considered for a ban by several groups and lawmakers.Triclosan was first issued a patent in 1969, not for fighting bacteria, but as a pesticide! (11) Now that a ban is being considered, many manufacturers are fighting back due to the nearly $370 million cost that would be assumed by the manufacturers. Some companies, such Henkel Corp., which makes Dial, Johnson & Johnson, and Proctor & Gamble products, are pre-empting the regulation by replacing it or taking it out of their products altogether. (12)House Rules Committee Chairwoman Louise Slaughter is now urging triclosan to be banned, stating that triclosan is “clearly a threat to our health.” In a letter written to the FDA, she outlined the various hazards of the chemical, as well as some of the cost-related issues and regulatory concerns that are related to the production, usage and health-related expenditures of products contain triclosan. (13)New York State Representative Tim Kennedy is also now calling for products containing triclosan to be removed from the shelves. He’s primarily concerned with the effects it has on water supplies, as his district is near Lake Erie. (14)
Triclosan Side Effects
When you use a product containing triclosan, you can absorb a small amount through your skin or mouth. Triclosan side effects are similar to their dangers. Immediate side effects for triclosan toothpaste and other triclosan products are endocrine-based, as well as epidermal.Triclosan is also a lipophilic. That means it stores itself inside fat cells in your body and can manifest itself in breast milk, urine and blood. These can lead to long-term and chronic side effects.Triclosan destroys good bacteria and T-helper cells. Bad bacteria’s longtime exposure to the triclosan has allowed adaptation for the germs. The widespread use of triclosan has led to the rise of superbugs that have become resistant to the chemical and have caused epidemic level sickness and diseases — and even antibiotic resistance — as well! (15)
Triclosan has also been linked to muscle weakness. When University of California at Davis researchers exposed the individual muscle fibers of fish and mice to triclosan, they found it impaired the normal contraction mechanism of muscle fibers. Both skeletal and cardiac muscle no longer operated normally, and this was true when the mice and fish were tested themselves or their muscle fibers were examined individually in a test tube. Mice also showed up to a 25 percent reduction in heart function measured within 20 minutes of exposure to triclosan.Experts say these animal studies should serve as a warning to humans of potential dangers of triclosan exposure.“This is an interesting and potentially concerning finding,” said Dr. Philip J. Landrigan, dean of global health in the department of preventive medicine at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City. “Many synthetic chemicals now known to be toxic to humans were first recognized as toxic in animal studies.” (16)
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.