Is Amazon buying Whole Foods? In a bit of a shocker in the world of organics, the answer is yes. The online giant is reportedly purchasing the pioneering natural foods chain for $13.7 billion, but what that means for consumers isn’t quite clear yet.
Does this mean organics delivered straight to the doorstep is in the works? It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. But what we know for sure is demand for clean food is surging.
Is Amazon Buying Whole Foods? Here’s What We Know So Far
Reports indicate that Whole Foods’ current CEO, John Mackey, will remain at the helm and the company headquarters will stay in Austin, Texas. And while this announcement is definitely a shakeup, this isn’t the first time Amazon is showing interest in real, physical stores. (1)
But buying a chain like Whole Foods? That’s taking it to a whole new level.
“Millions of people love Whole Foods Market because they offer the best natural and organic foods, and they make it fun to eat healthy. Whole Foods Market has been satisfying, delighting and nourishing customers for nearly four decades – they’re doing an amazing job and we want that to continue.” Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder and CEO (4)
But buying the entire Whole Foods chain of 400+ stores is a giant leap into grocery world. Of course, Whole Foods is still relatively “small” compared to Amazon, but the natural food grocery chain employs 87,000 people and recorded $15.7 billion in sales in fiscal 2016. (As a comparison, Amazon tallied $136 billion in 2016 sales. (5, 6)
“There have been many rumors about a sale, and one of those was with Amazon. The ones about Albertsons or Kroger or other conventional grocers I just didn’t buy – I think the cultures are too different,” explains Joe Dobrow, an expert on the natural food industry and – author of Natural Prophets (Rodale Books, 2014) and the forthcoming Pioneers of Promotion (University of Oklahoma Press, 2018). “But Amazon makes sense as a cultural fit, because both of these organizations have been all about ‘disruption’ since long before that became a mandatory word in every PowerPoint presentation.”
Dobrow says in terms of organics, he can only imagine it bodes well. “Amazon’s reach is far beyond Whole Foods’ reach, and its pockets are deeper,” he says. “If Amazon is able to bring some efficiencies to the Whole Foods operation that drive costs down, then the deal may end up helping to further democratize organics.”
The announcement of the sale of Whole Foods comes at a time when the natural food giant is struggling to grow. Sales have been sliding, despite the fact that organic food sales in general are surging. Whole Foods played a huge role in bringing access to organics to more people, but now that other box stores like Wal-Mart and other grocery chains are increasing organic options, Whole Foods is feeling the competition. In 2016, for instance, the U.S. organic sector broke sales records, including $43 billion in organic food sales, according to the Organic Trade Association. But Whole Foods sales dropped 5.4 percent. (7, 8)
Despite this growth in organics, there is a huge opportunity for growth and expansion. “The industry had kind of stalled out, even with the mainstream grocers selling more and more of these foods,” Dobrow notes. “Online seemed to present a new avenue for growth when it was came upon the scene 15 years ago or so, but it, too, never really exploded.
Today, only six percent of food sales are online.
“Perhaps this is the inflection point,” Dobrow says. “Perhaps this is the moment when the industry will take a turn and, bolstered by the infusion of innovative thinking from Jeff Bezos and Amazon, resume its expansion, in part through online sales and in part through greater in-store excitement.”
Why Is Amazon Buying Whole Foods?
Amazon hasn’t laid out a plan outlining exactly what it plans to do with Whole Foods, however, reports on Business Insider provide some ideas.
Alex Morrell writes, “For starters, acquiring Whole Foods’ 440 US stores — many of them in primo locations — will bolster the network for AmazonFresh, the company’s online grocery delivery service.” While only two AmazonFresh locations exist in Seattle at this point, buying Whole Foods could take that vision to a nationwide level. The grocery pickup service aims to allow customers to order food online and have it ready for pickup within 15 minutes. (9)
In the video below, you can see what happened when GeekWire did a test run through a recently opened AmazonFresh Pickup. Maybe we can expect more of these in the future?
Billionaire investor and Shark Tank host Mark Cuban took to Twitter to explain why he thinks the Amazon deal is a smart one. You’re probably catching a theme here. It’s all about saving time for customers. (10)
Whole Foods’ Contribution to Organics
We can’t talk about the sale of Whole Foods without touching on how this natural food chain transformed organics in America. Back in the 60s and 70s, organic and natural foods were mostly a joke.
“Organic food was widely thought of as tasteless and ugly. Whole Foods changed all that,” Dobrow says. “They didn’t do it alone, of course, but when they built beautiful stores and developed gorgeous merchandising systems, and a whole ethic of reverence for food, that attracted lots of customers. And with the rise in demand came the rise in supply, as well as in quality. Organics became the pinnacle of the food chain, a complete reversal from where they had been.”
He said Whole Foods not only created the market, but educated people as to what organic meant, and why it was important. The chain ran classes, put out informational signage and shined the spotlight on local growers — all things that had really never been done before. “I think a large part of our food-centric culture today is the result of Whole Foods Market’s efforts,” Dobrow says.
Dobrow’s book, Natural Prophets, highlights the rise of the natural food industry in the U.S. I asked him to share a brief background of Whole Foods’ beginning.
- Whole Foods has been independent from the very beginning, when it was founded (in part by John Mackey, who is still CEO) as “Safer Way Foods” in 1978.
- The first Whole Foods Market store opened in Austin in 1980, and it was a modest affair – but still larger and more ambitious than the health food stores of days gone by.
- The company grew locally at first, then regionally, and then in the 90s began a very rapid expansion with a public offering and the acquisitions of other major regional players like Mrs. Gooch’s, Bread & Circus, Wellspring Grocery and Fresh Fields.
Final Thoughts on the Whole-Foods/Amazon Deal
- While we’ll need to wait a little bit for the smoke to clear on this newly announced deal, it will be interesting to see how this shakes up the organic food industry.
- The earliest and most exciting areas this is going to affect, in my opinion? Whole Foods will have a stronger potential to deliver organic food right to our front doors, along with having a larger online presence in the future. This is a disruptive and game-changing move by Amazon, and is a great sign for the natural health industry, proving it’s value and future growth.
- Amazon may use Whole Foods to expand its grocery pickup program for people who want to order online and swoop in for a quick pickup.
- Despite this, natural food industry expert Joe Dobrow says he doesn’t expect to see major changes inside of the physical stores. “Yes, Amazon expertise in data analytics and predictive modeling may help Whole Foods finally get it right with a loyalty program, and/or increase average basket size or transaction frequency,” he says. “But shopping for food remains a very personal and sensuous experience. For many people, it is a form of entertainment and an act of discovery, and not a chore.” He says Whole Foods gets all those things right, and Amazon is smart enough not to destroy that with “robotic stores.”
11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
To begin, I apologize for the dark nature of today's email.
However I promise what you'll discover today will be completely worth it.
Imagine a rotting corpse draped over your body from head to toe...
...suffocating tissue, restricting blood flow, damaging joints and infecting your healthy cells.
Shockingly, that nightmare is a reality for most:
64% of women and 74% of men carry too much body fat according to the National Institutes of Health.
It's choking their organs, assaulting their metabolism and sucking their energy dry.
But here's the worst part:
For most, this bodyfat has become "calorie-resistant":
It's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
This zombie fat is essentially... "dead tissue".
That's important for those who have 10, 25 or 50 or more pounds to lose...
AND for those who aren't technically overweight, but have what's called "pocket obesity"...
...unsightly patches of fat that cling to specific places, like:
just above your hips, lower belly, where your butt and legs meet... and even arms, neck and face.
However, there's good news:
Obesity researchers have now discovered a "metabolic jumper cable":
It jolts dead bodyfat back to life.
This allows your metabolism to burn it as calories and re-energize your entire body.
First though, here's the #1 reason why bodyfat becomes calorie-resistant:
It lacks blood flow. This has 3 effects:
- Not enough oxygen or nutrients reach fat cells, so they become unresponsive..
- Released fat can't be sent to other tissues to be burned, so fat cells suck it back in...
- 3) Metabolic hormones carrying the "burn calories" message don't reach the fat cell...
All this means one thing:
Your body can't transform into energy, the 135,000+ of calories the average person stores as fat!
You become a metabolic zombie: NO energy to think. NO energy to move. NO energy to motivate.
Update: calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
The discovery of this "metabolic jumper cable" can now reverse this process:
- It wakes up un-responsive bodyfat with a powerful calorie-burning hormonal jolt....
- It pops open fat cells, sucks out the fat, sending it off before its yanked back in...
- It shuttles fat to your brain, heart, lungs, kidneys - even your bones - to be burned as energy.
Not only do those layers of "zombie fat" start coming off, but your entire body just works better.
Plus, as your whole body burns more calories, those patches of pocket obesity whittle away.
This "metabolic jumper cable" isn't any exercise, machine or pill.
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive.
It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know.
And on this next page, you'll find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
PS - Studies show that not only can healthy levels of this powerful calorie-burning hormone devour bodyfat and fortify soft muscle, but it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat.
This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
P.S. Make sure you check out the next page to get to know the 10 simple moves that will bring vitality back into your life!
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video. He's going to be the talk of 2016.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
Is Bread Really the Staff of Life… or the Stuff of Disease?
For most us, there are few foods more comforting than bread.
Fluffy biscuits, crusty baguettes, flaky croissants… even a simple slice of toast topped with melted butter can taste like heaven.
And that smell… few scents are quite as pleasant as fresh bread baking in the oven.
But there is a lot of confusion as to where bread fits into a healthy diet.
The Bible practically commands followers to eat it: “Give us this day our daily bread…” The government put it at the base of the food pyramid. And for centuries, it has been called “the staff of life.”
Of course, there are some who disagree…
Well-known cardiologist, Dr. William Davis, calls wheat “the perfect chronic poison.”
And for a poison, we sure eat lots of it…
The average American consumes 55 pounds of wheat flour every year, making refined flour the #1 source of calories in the American Diet – a situation that nutrition expert Chris Kresser describes as, “a public health catastrophe.”
So, what is the truth about bread and wheat?
- Is it the perfect poison… or an essential daily food?
- Is “gluten-free” bread better for you than regular bread?
- And can you still eat bread… while maintaining a lean body and optimal health?
The answers to these questions may surprise you!
Be sure to read #5 – the biggest surprise of all!
Recently, Doctor of Naturopathy, weight-loss expert and best-selling Amazon author Liz Swann Miller, creator of the Red Smoothie Detox Factor, revealed 2 of the secrets to easy, steady weight loss. Secrets the big food corporations do their best to hide from us.
Secret #1: Enjoy real food. Don’t fall for the lie that you have to deprive yourself to lose weight.
Secret #2: stop eating out. You will automatically eat less without even noticing.
Then start detoxing your body with tasty, nourishing smoothies that are just as easy on your wallet as they are easy to make.
Because a single day of enjoying Liz’ smoothies demonstrated the radical power of her superfood-packed red smoothies to make me feel incredibly good.
Now prepare yourself for one of the biggest weight loss secrets there is. A secret that, when you use it properly, can transform your body and your health.
You probably know most of us eat too much processed food. What you may not know is that it’s full of toxic chemicals and substandard, dirt-cheap ingredients designed to make you eat more…and force you to gain weight.
Here’s how it works.
“That stuff is just a lot of calories your body can’t use,” Liz told me, “Some are poison. And all these foods are stripped of the anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that help your body detox. The result? Your body expends huge amounts of calories to eliminate some toxins—the rest, it stores in your fat to protect you. This is why most people are hungry all the time. They’re not getting energy they need.”
“So… what’s going on with me? Why am I losing weight but not going hungry?”
Liz paused, then dropped the bombshell.
Your body is designed to burn fat. You just have to let it.
“What? I thought we were designed to store fat?!?” We were Skyping and I was practically shouting. Then I heard Liz say…
What good is a fat reserve if you can’t burn it?
Liz continued: “You’re drinking smoothies packed with phytonutrients, anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that pull toxins out of you like a tractor beam. Allowing your body to burn those toxin-filled fat stores… and releasing tremendous amounts of stored energy.”
So that’s why I’m losing weight without going hungry.
Watch Liz’ free presentation. It’s packed with revolutionary weight loss information—information that works. Because it’s based on how nature.
Click the button only if you want to wear smaller clothes, breathe easier, move more freely and just plain feel better.
- Which calories help you lose weight…and which ones help you gain it…
- The “diet” foods…some of them vegetables…that lead to weight gain and diabetes…
- The “low-fat” foods that can dramatically increase your risk of cancer.
- And the superfoods that rescue your body from this assault by detoxing you…
Revitalizing your metabolism so you can Shed pounds as well as toxins, renew your body and reset your internal clock by up to 7 years.
Because until now, the Red Smoothie Detox Factor has been available only to Liz’ private clients. But now that she’s perfected it to work for almost everyone, almost every time, Liz is sharing it with rest of us so we can feel better and look better.
Get Red Smoothie Detox Factor before the price goes back up.
Because Liz offers a ridiculously good guarantee. You have 60 days to decide you love the Red Smoothie Detox Factor. If you don’t love it—for any reason, or even no reason at all —Liz will refund your money. 100%. No questions asked.
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.