There is a common belief today about cavities that once you have tooth decay, that cavity can NOT be reversed. Then the only solution to oral wellness is to have part of your tooth drilled out and filled with a synthetic material. However, it’s been proven that there are ways to reverse cavities naturally.
In fact, according to a study published in the British Medical Journal, cavities and tooth decay could potentially be reversed with diet. (1)
A study was performed on 62 children with cavities, and they were divided into three different diet groups. Group 1 ate a standard diet plus oatmeal (rich in phytic acid). Group 2 consumed a normal diet and supplemented with vitamin D. Group 3 ate a grain-free diet and took vitamin D.
The results found that Group 1 who had a diet high in grains and phytic acid had an increase in cavities. Group 2 had improvements in cavities and less form. Group 3, who followed a grain-free diet with nutrient-rich foods like vegetables, fruits, meat, milk and took vitamin D, saw the greatest improvements — nearly all cavities were healed. (2)
This study, along with the backing of many doctors and dentists, proves we have been misinformed about what causes cavities and how to reverse cavities naturally.
Dentist Ramiel Nagel, who authored the book “Cure Tooth Decay,” has helped many of his patients “reverse” their tooth decay and would rather not put in dangerous amalgam fillings. He believes that you can prevent cavities with nutrient-rich foods.
In this article, I am going to go over the causes of tooth decay and how it may be prevented and in many cases even reversed.
The Cause of Tooth Decay
To understand the link between diet and oral wellness, we must start with one of the most well-respected dentists who ever lived, Weston A. Price.
West A. Price lived in the early 1900s and was the chairman of the National Dental Association (1914–1923) and a pioneer for the American Dental Association (ADA).
Weston Price traveled the world searching to discover what causes tooth decay. Dr. Price found a common link between eating modern foods and cavities. He witnessed that many indigenous isolated tribes had perfect teeth and little tooth decay. But once they were exposed to a Western diet, they experienced tooth decay, bone loss and chronic illness.
According to the ADA, this is the cause of tooth decay:
“[Tooth decay] occurs when foods containing carbohydrates (sugars and starches) such as milk, pop, raisins, cakes or candy are frequently left on the teeth. Bacteria that live in the mouth thrive on these foods, producing acids as a result. Over a period of time, these acids destroy tooth enamel, resulting in tooth decay.”
But the truth is the ADA is only hitting on one of the four things that can contribute to tooth decay.
According to the insights of Dr. Edward Mellanby, Dr. Weston Price and Dr. Ramiel Nagel, there are four main things that contribute to tooth decay: (3)
- Lack of minerals in the diet (calcium deficiency, magnesium deficiency and phosphorus deficiency)
- Lack of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K, especially vitamin D deficiency)
- Too much consumption of phytic acid-rich foods
- Too much consumption of processed sugar
Let’s discuss the four aspects that cause tooth decay and how they can be addressed with diet, along with ways to reverse cavities naturally.
How to Reverse Cavities Naturally
Don’t be fooled, in addition to brushing and flossing daily, there are several ways you can reverse cavities naturally and maximize your oral health without resorting to taking in fluoride. Here are just a few ways to reverse cavities naturally for you to consider, while also avoiding fluoride:
1. Remove Sugar
Probably the worst culprit of them all for anyone who desires healthy, cavity-free teeth, sugar should be avoided like the plague. So kick that sugar addiction stat. Not only does sugar feed oral bacteria that prevents a healthy flow of dental fluids, but it’s highly acidic and can literally decalcify or demineralize the structural content of teeth that create dental decay. (4)
This means staying away from soda, candy and baked goods with sugar. Additionally, use raw honey and maple syrup, and drink juices sparingly, as too much sugar can contribute to cavity formation. Be careful of artificial sweeteners because of their health risks as well. Bottom line: Make stevia your new best friend along with raw honey in moderation!
2. Eliminate Phytic Acid
Phytic acid (phytate) is a mineral blocker and enzyme inhibitor found in grains, nuts, seeds and beans that can cause serious health problems in our diets. The main reason phytic acid has become an issue today is because we have stopped ancient food preparation techniques, such as sprouting or sourdough fermentation, which kills off the phytic acid.
According to research published in the The Lancet, a diet high in phytic acid creates mineral deficiencies and causes osteoporosis. About 80 percent of phosphorus in grains and beans is bound to phytic acid so it’s completely unabsorbable. In addition to blocking phosphorus availability in humans, these molecules bind minerals necessary for oral health, such as calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc — thus causing them to be unavailable for proper utilization. Consuming foods high in phytic acid decreases magnesium absorption by 60 percent and zinc by 20 percent. (5)
Phytic acid not only prevents you from absorbing minerals in your food, but it also leaches minerals out of your body, bones and teeth! (6)
Subsequently, the powerful anti-nutritional effects of phytic acid have been known to cause digestive disorders, lack of appetite, nutrient deficiencies and tooth decay. A good rule of thumb is to limit your grain consumption and stay completely clear from unfermented soy products. (7)
Because phytic acid is much higher in foods grown using modern high-phosphate fertilizers than those grown in natural compost, try to only eat foods that are organic and GMO-free. If you’re aiming to improve your health and reverse cavities naturally, foods high in phytic acid like grains, beans, nuts and soy should be avoided. However, if you soak grains or nuts and then sprout them or do sourdough fermentation, you can reduce phytic acid by around 50 percent to 100 percent. (8)
3. Consume Raw Dairy and Nutrient-Rich Foods
Raw dairy is filled with the vitamins and minerals that contribute to a healthy dental fluid flow and help maintain strong teeth and promote oral wellness. Thus, it’s a great way to get cavity-free teeth. Loaded with calcium, vitamin K2, vitamin D3, magnesium, phosphorus and fat-soluble vitamins, it’s a good idea to consume raw dairy products at least weekly. I recommend goat milk kefir, raw cheeses and organic grass-fed butter as great options.
Remember, if you’re going to beat tooth decay, you need to increase your fat-soluble vitamin intake and mineral intake. If I were creating an ideal diet to follow, it would look like this:
- Rich in animal foods like bone broth, meat, fish and eggs.
- Raw and cooked vegetables, especially green leafy vegetables.
- Raw dairy like kefir, cheese and grass-fed butter.
- Fruit, one piece daily early in day.
- Vitamin D — get plenty of sunshine, and days not in sun supplement with 5,000IU daily of D3.
- Foods high in healthy fats like coconut oil, avocado, olives, and fish or fermented cod liver oil.
- Fermented grains only and in moderation, such as true sourdough bread (or even better no grains at all). You can buy raw flours and breads.
- Nuts, seeds and beans only that have been sprouted.
- Finally, NO processed foods, packaged foods or fast food.
4. Use Mineralizing Toothpaste
First of all, I know it can get expensive, but there are several brands of fluoride-free toothpaste that you won’t have to pay a small fortune to get your hands on. Second, if you’re looking to save a buck or two and also want to remineralize your teeth in aparticularly powerful way, try making your own Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste:
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons baking soda (aluminum-free)
- 1 tablespoon xylitol or 1/8 teaspoon stevia
- 20 drops peppermint or clove essential oil
- 20 drops trace minerals or (calcium/magnesium powder)
5. Try Oil Pulling
Used for centuries by Ayurvedic medicine, oil pulling is a fantastic oral detoxification procedure that has gained some popularity in the U.S. the last several years. Simply done by swishing a tablespoon of oil in your mouth for 20 minutes, this simple oral detoxification procedure has been praised to cure everything from gingivitis to headaches to systemic diseases like diabetes.
If you can’t do 20 minutes, three to five minutes is still good. I recommend using coconut oil or MCT oil and a drop or two of clove and/or tea tree essential oils for maximal antiseptic and antifungal power. Here are some tips:
- The best time to oil pull (like most other detoxification procedures) is first thing in the morning right after you get out of bed.
- Don’t let the 20-minute time frame deter you. You won’t even notice 20 minutes have gone by if you do this during your normal morning routine (i.e., while you shower, put your clothes on and prep for the day).
- I then recommend that you spit the spent oil in the trash rather than into the sink, as an accumulation of oil could pose problems for household plumbing down the road.
- Immediately afterward, rinse your mouth out with warm water. Use salt water for added antimicrobial properties.
- Don’t be shocked if the oil/saliva mixture you spit out is milky white or yellow.
- Finally, brush your teeth as normal.
Note: This should be a relatively relaxing process, so don’t feel compelled to vigorously swish your mouth with oil for the entire time or else you’re bound to get sore jaw muscles. Simply and gently move the oil in your mouth and through your teeth without swallowing any of it.
Takeaways on How to Reverse Cavities Naturally
- According to the insights of Dr. Edward Mellanby, Dr. Weston Price and Dr. Ramiel Nagel, there are four main things that contribute to tooth decay: lack of minerals in the diet (calcium deficiency, magnesium deficiency and phosphorus deficiency); lack of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K, especially vitamin D deficiency); too much consumption of phytic acid-rich foods; and too much consumption of processed sugar.
- You can reverse cavities naturally by removing sugar, eliminating phytic acid, consuming raw dairy and nutrient-rich foods, using mineralizing toothpaste, and try oil pulling.
In a nutshell, these are the best ways to naturally reverse cavities. Take charge of your oral wellness today, and show off your new, healthy smile with pride!
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.