Getting from point A to point B in a healthy way is getting easier and easier. Take the airport, for example. Water bottle filling stations keep millions of plastic water bottles out of our oceans and landfills, all the while protecting our bodies from bottled water risks. And have you noticed healthy snacks popping up in airports and even gas station pitstops? Things like organic fruit, nuts and grass-fed jerky are easier and easier to find. Bike sharing programs and bike lanes, organic fast food and even exercise bikes in airport terminals are now a thing. Traveling is getting healthier and I’m certainly grateful for these options.
But there’s still one major travel problem I consistently deal with time and time again … the dangers of synthetic scents. Have you ever stepped into a ride-share vehicle or taxi and just been absolutely floored by fragrance chemicals? Dizziness, headache, fatigue, asthma, nausea … it’s not just in your head — people experience very real (and often varied) symptoms after fragrance exposure. That’s because different scents contain chemical cocktails that can damage virtually every system of the body, including the immune system.
After talking to colleagues and patients and other friends and family members, it became clear I wasn’t the only one up in arms about the chemical assault taking place in these vehicles. There’s actually a Change.org petition circulating, urging Uber to ban all air fresheners and fragrances from vehicles. (Here’s another one from an allergy sufferer.)
I understand Lyft, Uber and taxi drivers aren’t on a mission to harm riders. But despite mountains of research showing clear links between synthetic scents and health problems, car air fresheners are still readily available. Old-school ones you hang off of the rearview mirror, vent clips, gels and car-specific deodorizing sprays are legal and, unfortunately, many drivers still use them.
Why Taxis & Ride Share Vehicles Should Ban Standard Air Fresheners
Here are some fast facts on synthetic fragrances:
- About 95 percent of chemical fragrances are derived from petroleum, according to the National Academy of Sciences. (1)
- Drivers in cars loaded with synthetic scents may become desensitized and no longer even notice the strong odors. This is known as olfactory fatigue. (2) This could explain why you feel overpowered by the fumes when you get in the car and some drivers may seem oblivious.
- Fragrances contain an unidentified mixture of ingredients, including known carcinogens, endocrine disruptors, allergens, respiratory irritants, reproductive toxicants and neurotoxic chemicals. A single air freshener could contain thousands of different chemicals. (3)
- Not all symptoms linked to air fresheners are obvious. Some of the lesser-known side effects include infant diarrhea and earaches, dermatitis and ventricular fibrillation. (4)
Anne Steinemann, PhD, a world-renowned researcher who focuses on fragrances and human health, published a study in 2016 that suggests more than half of the population supports fragrance-free workplaces, hotels, airplanes and health care facilities. (5) I’d be willing to bet Uber, Lyft, taxi and limo vehicles would make this list, too!
Steinemann also found:
- Thirty-four percent of people suffer at least one negative side effect after being exposed to fragranced products.
- The most common symptoms include respiratory and mucosal issues, migraine headaches, skin problems, asthma attacks and neurological and focus problems.
- According to survey respondents, 20 percent of people say they leave a store ASAP if they detect fragranced products.
VOC City + Secondary Pollutants
Here are some specific air freshener threats, as outlined in literature and third-party testing:
- Volatile organic compounds, also known as VOCs, are among the most common chemicals detected in air freshener products. Steinemann’s team detected 133 different VOCs in popular fragranced products during recent testing.
- Each fragranced product, on average, contained 17 different VOCs.
- Tested products contained between one and eight toxic or hazardous chemicals.
- Forty-four percent of fragranced products tested contained anywhere from one to twenty-four different carcinogens, including 1-,4-dioxane and acetaldehyde.
- Fragrance labeling laws don’t require all ingredients to appear on the label. In fact, most labels are really vague.
- Ethanol and acetone are commonly used as carriers for fragrance chemicals. Along with VOCs and citrus and pine scents, they were the most common compounds detected in fragrance formulations.
- Limonene, a popular synthetic citrus scent, may interact with ozone in the air to create secondary pollutants like formaldehyde. (6)
Perhaps one of the most disturbing VOCs commonly detected in air fresheners is benzene, a carcinogenic compound better known as a toxic tailpipe exhaust pollutant. (7)
Benzene exposure symptoms include: (8)
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Death (at very high levels)
Long-term exposure risks include:
- Harmful changes in bone marrow that could trigger anemia symptoms
- Increased infection risk
- Irregular periods
- Shrunken ovaries
The Phthalate Factor
You won’t find phthalates on an air freshener label, but when it comes to chemical fragrances, it’s a common ingredient. (9) And in testing common scented products, car air fresheners were amongst the most phthalate-tainted products. These harmful plasticizing chemicals may impact the body in unexpected ways, including: (10)
Safer Options for Uber & Other Ride Share Drivers
Instead, use air freshening tricks that are cheaper, safer and work to absorb and eliminate odor rather than cover it up. Things like white vinegar, baking soda and Castile soap are staples of effective, green cleaning.
Organic, therapeutic-grade pure essential oils are an option for essential oil car diffusers, if some sort of natural fragrance is preferred. Just be sure to choose an oil that is generally well-tolerated by the general population, like lavender oil. Essential oils are powerful and should be treated like medicine — some are not suitable around pets, babies, toddlers or people with certain underlying medical conditions.
11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.