The Paleo (Paleolithic) diet is one of the most popular diet’s in America today. The Paleo Diet, also known as the cave-man diet or hunter gatherer diet is based on the idea that before modern agriculture (Paleolithic era 2.5 million years ago to 10,000 B.C.) the human body evolved and adapted to eating a diet consisting of wild plants and animals.
Many Crossfit athletes are now following the paleo diet to get stronger, leaner, faster, and improve recovery time.
Why I DON’T Eat a Paleo Diet
I recently did a radio interview with my friend Mark Sisson who is one of the leading experts on the Paleo Diet and runs a company called Primal Nutrition. While I don’t believe in many of the evolutionary theories of paleo, I do think that our bodies adhere better to a diet high in vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, and wild meats which fall into the hunter gatherer lifestyle.
Here I want to discuss the Good and Bad about the paleo diet…
First, What Are Paleo Foods?
The paleo diet consists of foods that can be hunted or fished like meat, organ meat and seafood and foods that can be gathered like eggs, fruits, vegetables, mushrooms, nuts, seeds, herbs, and spices.
Foods that are not on the paleo diet are anything processed, grains, legumes (beans and peanuts), raw dairy, salt, and oils.
Raw Dairy is considered by some experts to be paleo while others believe it doesn’t make the list. A paleo diet with dairy added in is called a Neo-Paleo diet.
The Good and Bad of the Paleo Diet
I believe there are 3 major positive aspects of the paleo diet.
1. Nothing Processed – One of the major upsides of the paleo diet is that it rescripts ALL processed foods and recommends mostly raw foods. In America today 80+% of the foods we eat are highly processed genetically modified foods. So any diet that recommends you eat foods in their natural state is a positive.
2. Wild Caught Meat – A paleo diet is high in Omega-3 fatty acids and lower in Omega-6 fatty acids. According to paleo experts 60% of food energy should come from animal foods like wild caught fish, bison, deer, turkey, and eggs. All of these foods are high in omega-3 fatty acids in which the Standard American Diet is greatly deficient. Omega-3 fats can reduce inflammation, improve neurological function, aid in digestion, improve focus, and restore healthy skin just to name a few.
3. Raw Fruits, Vegetables, Nuts and Seeds – A paleo diet recommends 40% of food energy come from Raw nutrient dense foods. As the saying goes in American, we are overfed, but undernourished. So consuming larger amounts of nutrient dense foods like vegetables is far superior to a diet primarily consisting of low nutrient grains.
I also follow a diet of minimal grains and when I do consume grains on occasion those grains have been sprouted. By not eating grains you are also eliminating gluten in which many american’s have developed sensitivities to.
Why I DON’T Eat Paleo
The foundational reason I don’t follow the paleo diet is because it stems from a belief system based on macroevolution, while I personally am a creationist. Also, the Paleo diet eliminates Raw cultured dairy like Yogurt, Kefir, and Amasai which I believe to be one of the healthiest foods in the world if done right.
In addition, here are some foods that I don’t consume but are recommended on the Paleo Diet:
If you’ve read my article on Pork you will known that some of these animals are common carriers of parasites and are bottom feeders like shellfish and catfish.
The Healing Foods Diet
So what eating plan or diet should you follow? I recommend eating “healing foods”. Foods that both follow a hunter-gatherer like lifestyle but also follow science and kosher/biblical eating principles. These foods are nutrient dense and free of toxins.
Healing Foods include:
- Nuts (sprouted)
- Seeds (sprouted)
- Organic Grass-fed Meat and Wild Game
- Free-range Poultry and Eggs
- Wild Caught Fish
- Pastured Raw Dairy
This isn’t the full list but you can find whole list here: Healing Foods Shopping List
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.