With the new year comes a host of health-related resolutions: exercise more frequently, perhaps cut out unhealthy ingredients like artificial sweeteners or maybe even reduce screen time and nomophobia.
There’s one resolution, however, that’s often overlooked, can have a direct impact on your health and is easy to do: cook more at home! In fact, preparing your own food is the main ingredient in a healthier diet. (1)
But as every home chef can attest, meals can be become monotonous. It’s easy to fall into a food rut, eating the same sad, bland chicken and veggies (is there a sadder meal?) or relying on staples like carb-heavy pasta.
That’s why I’m so excited to share some of my favorite new ingredients to cook with in 2017.
Why Cook with New Ingredients?
Why not just stick to those ingredients you already know and love? For starters, introducing new foods to your diet means introducing your body to nutrients that it might not be getting much of — or at all. So each time you a new food into your diet, you’re expanding the positive nutrition your body enjoys. If a food is a fruit, veggie or grain, you’re also adding in beneficial antioxidants, phytonutrients, carotenoids and more that can boost your immune system and help protect your body against disease.
Playing with new ingredients in the kitchen also leads to less meal boredom. Challenging yourself to use a new food means you’ll be expanding your menu repertoire, maybe even trying out a new-to-you cuisine.
Incorporating new ingredients can also make you a better cook, as you step out of your comfort zone. While every recipe might not be a hit, half the fun is in trying! Best of all, it might even help keep the pounds off.
Food neophiles, or people who have an adventurous eating style, were found to weigh less, be more physically active and more concerned with the healthfulness of food than timid eaters. (2)
OK, so you’re convinced it’s time to add some new ingredients into the refrigerator and pantry. While still healthy, kale and pumpkin are so five years ago. Check out what ingredients you should add to your shopping list!
19 of the Healthiest New Ingredients to Cook With
1. Asafoetida: This hard-to-pronounce spice is most often used with Indian cooking, where it’s usually combined with legumes and veggie dishes, and not just because those ingredients taste good. Asafoetida is known to reduce gas, so you can enjoy your meal without excess flatulence afterward. Unsurprisingly, it’s also super effective at reducing IBS symptoms. (3)
2. Avocado oil: It’s no surprise that avocado is one of my favorite foods, and now there are even more ways to join its benefits. Cooking with avocado oil is fantastic because it has a high smoke point. Oils that have lower smoke points, like olive oil, lose their nutrients once they’re overheated.
Try it: Use refined avocado oil in any high-heat recipe. Use unrefined avocado oil in salads or low-heat cooking.
3. Beetroot powder: Beets are loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. They’re also natural blood cleansers, known to detox the blood. (6, 7) Those are just some of the reasons this veg is on my Healing Foods Diet list. And while you can definitely eat beets as nature intended, one super easy way to incorporate more of them into your diet is by using beetroot powder.
You can easily add it to any gravy, smoothie or sauce to enjoy the vegetable’s health benefits; one teaspoon is equivalent to about one bet. Plus, it’s an all-natural way to color baked treats, so you can avoid the harmful ingredients of artificial coloring. You can even use it to make a blush for some homemade beauty products.
Try it: Make your own beetroot powder with this Homemade Beetroot Powder recipe.
4. Bone broth protein: One of the best ways to enjoy all of bone broth’s healing benefits without the fuss of making your own, bone broth protein is one of my favorite ingredients for 2017. Bone broth is packed with collagen, which is what keeps our joints moving smoothly, and is one of the best foods for healing leaky gut. (8)
Eating it in protein form means that you don’t have to cook up a batch of bone broth each time you want to enjoy its benefits. Instead, you can add easily add a scoop to most recipes to get a protein punch.
5. Cassava flour: Going gluten- or nut-free in your baking doesn’t have to be a hassle anymore. I love this gluten-free flour because of its neutral taste and texture; it works beautifully in cookies, brownies and dense breads, foods treats that other grain-free flours struggle with.
It’s also low in calories, fat and sugar, and has no refined carbs, so it’s a good option for those with diabetes, high blood pressure or cholesterol — plus, it’s sustainable, making it a healthy option for the planet, too. (9)
6. Chickpea flour: If you’re looking for a high-protein, grain-free flour, then you’re going to want chickpea flour in your pantry. It’s made with only one ingredient — chickpeas, of course — and full of fiber. Legumes like chickpeas also balance unhealthy cholesterol and protect against heart disease. (10)
Vegan Lemon Lavender Donuts
7. Coconut nectar
Really, is there anything coconuts can’t do? Coconut nectar is a natural sweetener derived from the blossom; the average coconut tree produces about 3 to 4.5 liters of nectar daily! With a low rating on the glycemic index and a sweet (but not overly so) taste, you’ll be seeing a lot more of this stuff in the year to come. (11)
Recipes that call for honey or maple syrup
8. Cricket flour: Cooking with insects? This might be the year to try it. Cricket flour is low in calories and high in protein, along with iron and calcium. In fact, it’s got more protein than a piece of steak! It’s also a lot more sustainable as a protein, because crickets require significantly less feeding, water and infrastructure, while producing 80 times less methane, a greenhouse gas contributing to global warming. (12)
Replace 1/3 of almond, coconut, refined or whole wheat flour that a recipe calls for with cricket flour to add nutritional value to baked goods.
9. Freekeh: Though it’s not gluten-free, if you can eat grains, freekeh is one you might want to introduce this year. It contains three times as much fiber as brown rice, so you’ll feel super full after eating. It also helps prevent your eyes from deteriorating as you age and treats digestive issues. Supergrain? I think so. (13)
Freekeh, Chickpea and Herb Salad
10. Grass-fed gelatin: If gelatin makes you think of Jell-O, you’re in for a treat. Gelatin protects your joints, improves how well you sleep and can even improve your cognitive abilities. (14, 15) We get a lot less gelatin in our diet these days because the most abundant sources are in animal parts we don’t often eat, like the marrow and tendons.
11. Green banana flour: Bananas will continue to be a nutritional powerhouse in 2017. Long used in places like Jamaica and African countries as a less expensive option to wheat flours, green banana flour, also known as just banana flour, is a gluten-free alternative to traditional flour. (16) When cooked, the banana flavor is barely noticeable, and this flour can be used as a straight replacement for white or wheat flours.
Try it: Add a tablespoon to smoothies or use it to thicken up soups.
Gluten-free Brownies With Banana Flour
12. Hazelnut flour: Hazelnuts are often mixed with chocolate or added to desserts, but they’re terrific on their own as well. That’s because the healthy fats in them help manage diabetes. They also help reduce bad cholesterol levels and increase the good kind. (17, 18) When ground up, this nutty, grain-free flour is great for baking or cooking. You can even buy raw hazelnuts and ground them into a flour at home in a food processor.
13. Jicama: Expect to see jicama in produce sections this year. Because about 85 to 90 percent of jicama is made of water, it’s low in calories and natural sugars. It’s full of prebiotics, which help probiotics do their job well and increases immune function, and just one cup of the raw vegetable provides 40 percent of your daily allowance of vitamin C. Take that, orange juice.
14. Kombu: There are thousands of varieties of seaweed, but kombu is one that needs to be on your radar. Hailing from East Asia, this edible kelp is full of nutrients that it absorbs from the ocean. Not only that, but it improves digestion and reduces gas, and the iron it contains can help stave off anemia. (19)
15. Matcha: Green tea has been a popular drink for years, but matcha green tea is a whole different ballgame. It’s a more concentrated form of green tea, so it amplifies all of the tea’s benefits. And full of benefits it is! Matcha is a fat-burning food that boosts your metabolism. (20) It might even help you perform better at the gym and detox the body. Replace your cup of coffee with matcha in 2017 for these health benefits.
16. MCT oil: My love for coconut oil is well documented, but this year, expect MCT oils to make a bigger appearance. Medium-chain triglcyerides, or MCTs, are a fatty acid with heaps of benefits. While coconut oil is a type of MCT, more concentrated forms are now available. MCTs are a great source of healthy fats that are easily digestible by the body and help you feel full. They also ease digestive issues and help balance hormone levels.
- Add it to your smoothies
- Substitute 1/3 of coconut oil in recipes with MCT oil
- Make a homemade salad dressing by whisking together MCT oil, raw honey, Dijon mustard and your favorite herbs
17. Natto: This superfood is so much better for you than normal soy products. Because it’s fermented, it’s easy for your body to digest and absorb, and goes down much more smoothly than normal soy products. While it’s an acquired taste, the abundance of probiotics and nutrients it offers makes natto worth trying. (21)
18. Turkey tail mushrooms: White or button mushrooms might already be a part of your diet, but have turkey tail mushrooms made the cut? They should, because they are great for you. These healing shrooms actually help prevent and treat the common cold and can heal infections like HPV. They activate the immune system and resist stresses that upset our bodies. (22, 23) Not bad for a little mushroom!
Turkey Tail and Turmeric Tea
1 cup chopped turkey tail mushroom
5 cups purified water
2.5 teaspoons ground turmeric
½ teaspoon local honey
1 drop lemon essential oil
- Chop the turkey tail mushroom into small pieces and add to a large pot of water on the stove.
- Bring the water to a boil, then simmer for an hour.
- Strain the mixture through a colander. Add a ½ teaspoon of fresh ground turmeric and the honey and stir.
- Add the lemon essential oil and stir again.
If you’d like to add additional flavor, almond milk, one drop of cinnamon, ginger or lemon essential oil, or stevia are good options.
Feel free to add the rest of your turmeric to your leftovers while it’s still warm since it’s easier to blend, and keep any leftovers in the refrigerator. You can then reheat or serve chilled or on ice.
19. Yarrow: If you’re suffering from inflammation, yarrow can help provide some relief. This herb tastes similarly to tarragon and is loaded with health benefits ranging from healing skin wounds to easing anxiety. (24, 25) For women who have recently given birth, it’s also an effective, natural way to treat mastitis.
Yarrow is super versatile. You can use it either fresh or dried in any recipes that call for herbs, or replace tarragon with it. You can also infuse oils with it or sprinkle it right before serving a dish for extra flavor.
Homemade Yarrow Tea Recipe
The flowers, leaves and stems can be used to make a medicinal tea. You can use either the fresh or dried herb. Yarrow tea can taste bitter so you can use honey to take the edge off if needed. Many tea recipes include lemon, which gives a nice boost of vitamin C.
1 teaspoon dried yarrow or 3 fresh leaves
1 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon honey (optional)
1 lemon slice (optional)
- Steep yarrow in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove leaves if desired.
- Add honey and/or lemon juice if desired.
A Few Ingredients to Never Cook with
While I love incorporating those ingredients into my cooking, there are some I wouldn’t touch and I urge you to stay away from:
Artificial sweeteners: These are usually worse than sugar and can have serious side effects.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.