This statistic troubles me: 57 percent of women prefer Facebook to sex. While the data arose from a questionable source (Cosmopolitan), it reflects a general feeling of “meh” that many of my patients and online clients have toward sex. I see it daily in my functional medicine practice, and the symptom points to a larger, more disturbing problem.
I consider sex drive as the canary in the coalmine of overall physical and mental health, and sadly, the state of women’s health, longevity, and happiness is declining.1
As a result, low libido is common, but few understand the root cause is hormonal, not some moral failing or intrinsic problem or lack of love and connection. Or people know hormones and sex go together, but don’t really know which hormones matter or how they interact to create sexual interest, toe-curling orgasms, or robust health. Or even more important, what to do about it.
Before you resign yourself to mercy sex, consider this: I believe that sexuality is a portal to your other areas of your life, and when you optimize your sex life, there are many downstream benefits that you may not realize. You will find freedom in other aspects of your life where there was once struggle. And when you upgrade your sexual energy, you heal from the inside out, which is far better and more sustainable than seeking the latest bandaid or titillation. This is true for single folks as well as people in long-term relationships.
After years of working with people who want to get their mojo back, I know that low sex drive, poor energy, lousy sleep, skin problems, and bloating aren’t diseases that can’t be fixed fast with a pill or shot. These are usually hormonal problems – like a lack of sexual energy– mean our bodies are trying to tell us that something is wrong.
Root Causes of Low Sex Drive
Approximately 70 percent of low sex drive is due to misfiring hormones. Of course there are other considerations, such as communication and intimacy, emotional currency, sexual variety, mismatch of expectations and style, frequency and type of sexual connection. For a healthy, deepening sexual connection, these areas need to be explored, mined, and renegotiated.
Many women believe as I did that they don’t have to worry about their hormones until menopause, but the truth is that your hormones start to change in your twenties. DHEA and testosterone begin to decline. Cortisol, the main stress hormone, can start to climb and rob your other sex hormones. For some women, estrogen and/or progesterone can drop, leading to estrogen dominance or PMS. You may experience high testosterone (such as with polycystic ovarian syndrome) or low testosterone (as a result of excess stress or aging). Or your thyroid may start to sputter. Other hormones get in on the act, including oxytocin, insulin, and ghrelin, but these are the main hormonal problems I see daily as part of the story of low libido.
1. Cortisol (too high, too low, or a combination). It’s important to understand that dysfunctional stress in the body is the root cause of most if not all hormone imbalances. You may or may not be aware of how stress is being generated in the body, and one of the earliest signs can be lower sexual interest or desire. The underlying reason for wayward cortisol varies from person to person, but it’s important to know if cortisol is off for you. For me, cortisol crashed in my mid-30s after having a baby – I was trying to be all things to all people, running myself ragged as a working mom and OB/GYN, and chasing a dream that didn’t belong to me as a surgeon and academic. My poor husband felt neglected and rejected as my libido tanked, and it took taking on my own hormones to understand the central role of cortisol in sex drive and my more global energy.
Signs of Imbalanced Cortisol:2
Feeling wired but tired
Running from task to task, feeling overwhelmed
Sugar or carb cravings
Difficulty falling or staying asleep
Feeling burned out, fatigued, particularly under stress
Increased belly fat or weight gain
Unstable blood sugar – too high, too low, or both
Skin conditions such as eczema
2. Estrogen (too high, too low, or a combination). Estrogen is the main female hormone. It causes the female body to grow breasts and hips (in men, too much can lead to man boobs and estrogenic fat deposits at the hips). When it’s in balance with it’s counter hormone, progesterone, your period arrives on time, your skin is clear, and your mood is stable. When it’s too high or, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
Signs of Imbalanced Estrogen:
Bloating or water retention
Abnormal Pap smears
Heavy or excessively light (even absent) periods
Breast tenderness or cysts
Mood swings or PMS
Rapid weight gain, particularly at the breasts or hips
Red flush of the face, or rosacea
Vaginal dryness or atrophy
3. Thyroid (too low). When your thyroid gland in your neck is underperforming, you feel flat and lackluster in most areas. Your hair thins, particularly eyelashes and the outer third of the eyebrow. The origin varies from person to person, and could step from autoimmune destruction (Hashimoto’s thyroiditis) or secondary to high cortisol, or even from endocrine disruptors like bis phenol A or flame retardants.
Signs of Low Thyroid:
Fatigue, particularly in the morning
Mood problems, such as low-grade depression
Dry, straw-like hair that tangles easily
Hair loss or thinning (particularly lashes and outer third of eyebrow)
Cold hands and feet, or intolerance of cold
4. Testosterone (too high, too low, or a combination). Testosterone begins to decline in your twenties, which is why you don’t respond to weight training with the same gusto that you did as a teenager. But the worst culprit when it comes to low testosterone is taking oral contraception. The pill raises your Sex Hormone Binding Globulin, which is like a sponge that soaks up the free (and therefore biologically available) testosterone in the body. As a result, you may experience low sex drive, vaginal dryness, and even pain with insertion. Even worse, the problem may not resolve when you go off the Pill: one study showed that up to one year later, your hormones may still be out of whack.3
High testosterone is one of the defining characteristics of polycystic ovarian syndrome, which affects 30 percent of American women. Low testosterone is very common with age, but doesn’t need to be – leading to depression in both men and women, low sex drive, and grumpiness. Here are a few symptoms to watch for.
Signs of Imbalanced Testosterone:
Acne or greasy skin
Rogue hairs, especially on face, chest, or arms
Anxiety or depression
Loss of confidence and agency
Poor muscular response to high-intensity or weight training
Irregular menstruation (every 35 days or less often)
Infertility or subfertility
How to Regain Libidinous Lusciousness
For far too long, there has been this prevailing belief that declining sex drive is simply inevitable; that it’s a part of being a modern and busy woman (or man), that it’s part of aging, that it’s part of life after child-bearing years, that it’s part of long-term monogamous relationships, etc. I disagree. It’s not normal.
Nothing annoys me more than a doctor who brushes aside pain points like low libido as simply a “symptom of aging.” I believe it is both possible and important for a woman to maintain a strong sex drive long past her childbearing years. It takes a little work – maintaining balanced hormones, trying some proven botanicals, a little self-love, and a steady diet of quality orgasms – but more than worth it in the long run. Of course, libido will naturally wax and wane. Ultimately, it’s your choice.
Every day we hear about a different method to boost your sexual energy, your life force, your libido. Take this supplement! Read 50 Shades! Increase variety! Drink green tea. Don’t have any caffeine. Have sex in the morning only! Try this fantastic new lubricant! Lose weight! Eat fewer carbs. Eat more carbs. Eat carbs before protein. Eat carbs at night. Eat oysters! Drink less. Drink more. It’s totally confusing and often not based in any scientific research.
Here are some of the most proven ways you can rev up a flagging sex drive.
Add an adaptogen. If your cortisol is too high, too low, or both within the same day, start taking a double adaptogen like ashwagandha. I mix a pure organic powder with hot water and drink it twice per day as a tonic for stress.
Change up a boring sexual routine. You may need to bring in some variety along with resetting your hormones. My favorite is Orgasmic Meditation (OM), a cross between mindfulness and genital stroking, for 13 minutes as popularized by Tim Ferriss in the Four Hour Body.4 I find that OM is a wonderful practice for people who are tired of sex, or tired of how fat they feel, or just tired tired TIRED. It fills your tank with oxytocin, and we all need more of that! Oxytocin raises testosterone in men, and lowers cortisol. In women, it raises estrogen and makes the thyroid work better!
Make a medicinal maca shake. I’m a fan of occasionally drinking your nutrition, especially if you’re on the go and find it hard to eat well. I found during my hormonal recovery that my blood sugar is most stable when I started my day with yummy protein shakes. (You can hear more about my personally-formulated medicinal shakes in my new online course with MindBodyGreen right here.) Maca is a libido-boosting herb native to Peru that proven to nourish endocrine glands. Studies show that it raises sex drive in women, and reduces anxiety and depression. It’s my herb of choice for women with low estrogen.
Visit your health professional. If you’d rather mop the floor than have sex, there’s a good chance there’s a hormone problem. Get help with sending a search-and-rescue operation after you lost libido by visiting a collaborative functional medicine doctor who will work with you to identify the root cause and find a natural solution. Sometimes the culprit is overwork and high stress, sometimes it’s a medication, like the Pill or an antidepressant. Get the help you need to test your hormones and come up with a smart plan.
My hope is that you prefer sex to Facebook, and that starts with getting your hormones back on track.
It’s important to your health that you make sexual pleasure a priority, but not the stuff of Hollywood movies; instead choose the real, organic, yummy approach to sex that is your birthright and underpins optimal physiology.
My goal for you with sexual energy is to nurture your body over time, and to identify the “real” sources of sexual energy as opposed to the “fake” sources that may help temporarily but don’t have staying power.
Keep your focus on the natural remedies, the proven potions that truly work for you and that truly stick. Then it’s a matter of keeping your hormones in balance so that you can keep the fire stoked.
11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.