“Dr. Hyman, I recently read how endocrine disruptors like environmental toxins can interfere with your hormones,” writes this week’s house call. “I’m really freaked out. I feel like my house is full of toxins. How can I minimize their impact?”
Unfortunately, today we’ve become exposed to a greater number of environmental toxins than ever before. Sadly, many experts fail to connect the dots between toxicity and diabesity, which has hit record numbers.
Environmental toxins can feed cancer, interfere with glucose and cholesterol metabolism and induce insulin resistance and obesity through multiple mechanisms including inflammation, oxidative stress, mitochondrial injury, altered thyroid metabolism and impaired central appetite regulation.
As a result, we see a dramatic increase in obesity among newborn babies. In 2006, scientists at the Harvard School of Public Health found obesity rates in infants less than six months old rose an alarming 73 percent since 1980.
This obesity epidemic among six-month-olds is not related to diet or lack of exercise. After all, babies live on breast milk or formula and love. They don’t say, “Hey, Mom, take me out for a 1,200-calorie fast food breakfast or a giant tub of buttered popcorn.”
Likewise, watching too much television is not a risk factor. What’s going on instead is probably due to environmental toxins in their little bodies.
The average newborn has 287 chemicals in the umbilical cord blood, 217 of which are neurotoxic. They include pesticides, phthalates, bisphenol A, flame retardants and heavy metals such as mercury, lead and arsenic. These chemicals have a broad range of negative effects on adults, so just think how badly they affect babies.
Toxins to Remove Today
To minimize this detrimental impact, look through a few of the Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) Dirty Dozen Endocrine Disruptors. These hormone disruptors lead to huge challenges, so you want to watch out for them. Let’s briefly look at a few:
- Bisphenol A (BPA) – found in plastic water bottles and canned foods, BPA is a synthetic hormone that imitates estrogen in the body. Studies link BPA to breast cancer, reproductive challenges, obesity and heart disease. To minimize BPA exposure, stay away from plastic. Use stainless steel or glass instead, and look for BPA-free canned foods.
- Phthalates – also in plastic food containers. Some children’s toys also contain phthalates, so you want to be careful especially if your children are young and teething. Many makeup products also carry phthalates, so avoid products that contain “fragrance.” Stick with all-natural products that have only a few familiar ingredients. Phthalates also wreak hormonal havoc. Studies link phthalates with cancer, birth defects and thyroid issues. Check out EWG’s skin deep database to see where your cosmetics rank on the toxicity scale. If you wouldn’t eat it, you shouldn’t put it on your skin because everything gets absorbed into your body.
- Glycol ethers – household cleaning products, cosmetics and paints contain glycol ethers which can damage fertility, lead to birth defects and worsen allergies and asthma.
I could go on with others like mercury, lead and arsenic, yet you get the message: All these toxins can create major diseases and should be avoided when possible. That’s why it so important to eat clean, organic, grass-fed meat and plant-based foods.
While avoiding all of these toxins might become overwhelming, following these eight strategies help you reduce your burden:
- Maximize your phytonutrients. Eat whole, real foods, especially cruciferous veggies like broccoli, bok choy, kale and Brussels sprouts to maximize your dietary phytonutrients and increase your body’s ability to detoxify. Choose foods high in antioxidants like dark, green leafy veggies and berries. Garlic and onions can also help you detoxify. My 10-Day Detox program can help you incorporate these and other delicious, phytonutrient-packed foods.
- Avoid plastics. I recommend stainless steel water bottles and glass containers like Pyrex to store leftovers. Instead of buying water in plastic bottles, install a filter at home. I like reverse-osmosis filters. You can find great ones online.
- Detox your home. Stick with natural, simple products. Thrive Market, my favorite online market, carries the best cleaners from Seventh Generation and other eco-friendly, non-toxic companies. Check out EWG’s skin-deep guide. They also have a great guide to reduce toxic household cleaning products. You can even make your own body products using coconut oil and other ingredients. If you can eat it and also put it on your skin, that’s even better!
- Stop eating mercury. Stick with small, cold water fish like salmon that have lower mercury levels. Choose organic fruits and vegetables to minimize environmental toxin exposure. The EWG also has a list of fishwith low mercury levels. Use their Dirty Dozen and Clean 15 lists of fruits and veggies to help you cut out toxins from your food.
- Exercise and sweat. Exercise and sweating help rid your body of toxins. Get moving and try a sauna or steam bath.
- Take quality supplements to support detoxification including zinc,vitamin C and vitamin B Complex, as well as special glutathione-boosting compounds such as n-acetyl-cysteine, alpha-lipoic acid and milk thistle.
- Get chelated. Medical therapy with heavy metal chelators can lower mercury, lead, arsenic and other toxic metals. You’ll want to work closely with a Functional Medicine practitioner if you suspect heavy metals are an issue.
- Address toxicity in your home. If you suspect lead or other poisons in paint or floors, consult an expert to remove these safely.
You can’t eliminate toxins, but you can definitely reduce exposure to these endocrine disruptors. It simply involves investigative work, switching to safer products and following the above eight strategies. Once you get the hang of it, you can live clean and green without much effort.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.