Got a bunch of overripe bananas at home that are no longer appetizing to eat on their own? Here’s a great idea: make healthy banana ice cream. It’s a cool way (pun intended) to save those bananas instead of throwing them out.
This creamy banana ice cream recipe is perfect for hot summer days. I recommend serving it during your backyard picnic or as an after-dinner dessert. Just make sure to freeze it long enough before you serve it.
- In a food processor, liquefy the bananas and the lecithin granules. While processor is still running add the remaining ingredients.
- Depending on the size of the bananas, this will make up to four cups liquid. Add more milk if necessary to make one quart of liquid. Pour the mixture into baking sheets or ice-cube trays and freeze until solid.
- If using baking sheets, cut the frozen mixture into strips, if using ice-cube trays just pop out the cubes. Place frozen pieces back into juicer or food processor and blend until homogenized. Serve immediately.
- Chocolate-Banana: Add ½ cup cocoa or carob powder and an additional teaspoon of vanilla to the above recipe.
- Tropical: Use two overripe bananas, ½ cup strawberries, ½ cup finely cut pineapple, 1 ½ cups milk, and 2 tablespoons lecithin granules (optional).
- Coconut: Use two eggs, 3 tablespoons lecithin granules, 3 cups coconut milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Note: Ice cream will be thicker and creamier if the food processor and bowl are chilled in the refrigerator 30 minutes before using.
This recipe makes one quart of ice cream.
(Adapted from Healthy Recipes from Your Nutritional Type)
Banana Ice Cream Preparation Tips
You can buy bananas all year round from supermarkets and local farmers markets, but they are at their best during summer and fall. Look for firm, yellow bananas with unblemished skin. Keep them at room temperature, away from direct sunlight.
Ideally, they are best stored away from apples, avocados, and other fruits that release ethylene gas, as this can accelerate the ripening process1 – but for this recipe, putting them next to these fruits may be actually helpful, as you need overripe bananas to prepare the ice cream.
If you do use lecithin to make your recipe creamier, I recommend opting for non-GMO, non-soy lecithin granules such as that made from sunflowers. Most commercial lecithin granules are actually made of soy, so you need to read labels and possibly special order the non-soy granules, to make sure they are non-soy.
I also recommend you use only raw organic milk for this recipe. Contrary to what government agencies are trying to tell you, raw milk, if produced by grass-fed cows in clean, well-run farms, is actually safer than most pasteurized milk on the market. In fact, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that there are only about 116 illnesses a year linked to raw milk but about 412 confirmed cases of people getting ill from pasteurized milk each year.
Remember that where you get your milk matters. Check out the Campaign for Real Milk Website to locate a raw milk source near you. California residents can also find raw milk retailers by using the store locator available at OrganicPastures.com.
It’s a good idea to visit the farm in person, so you can look around, observe their operations and ask the farmer about their work conditions. Make sure you ask these questions:
- Are the cows raised naturally and in accordance with the seasons?
- Does the farmer test the milk regularly for pathogens (low pathogenic bacteria count)?
- Are the cows mainly grass-fed?
- Are the cows well cared for?
- Are they given antibiotics and growth hormones to increase their milk production?
- Is the milk quickly chilled after milking?
If there are no trustworthy sources of raw milk near your area, then you can settle for coconut milk. Contrary to what most people believe, coconut milk is not the clear liquid inside the coconut fruit — this is actually coconut water, a nutritious and refreshing drink loaded with electrolytes. Instead, coconut milk is a slightly thick, white liquid made from the expressed juice of grated coconut meat and water.
- Place the coconut meat (from matured brown coconuts, not the young green ones) in a blender. Make sure that there are no brown bits of skin that are adhering to the meat.
- Add 3 to 4 cups of hot water and blend until the coconut and water form a smooth mixture.
- Pour the coconut mixture through a butter muslin or cheesecloth and into a Mason jar or pitcher.
- Squeeze the cloth, getting as much liquid as possible out of the bits of coconut milk.
If you’re not going to use the coconut milk immediately, store it in the refrigerator to keep it from spoiling. The overripe bananas are usually enough to flavor the ice cream, but if you’re still looking for additional sweetness, I advise using a natural sweetener, such as Luo Han or stevia.
Why Is Banana Ice Cream Good for You?
You can get 467 milligrams of potassium, a nutrient that’s essential for regulating your heart rate and blood pressure, from a single banana. This flexible fruit also offers 28 percent of the daily recommended value for vitamin B6, which is helpful for preventing anemia and coronary artery disease.
Other healthful ingredients in banana include flavonoids, lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta- and alpha-carotenes, which act as free radical-scavenging antioxidants. This fruit also offers fiber, magnesium, manganese, and vitamin C.
Raw Organic Milk
High-quality raw milk offers a mountain of benefits that you wouldn’t find in pasteurized milk. It offers:
- Healthy bacteria that can nourish your gastrointestinal tract
- Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), which fights cancer and boosts metabolism
- Over 60 digestive enzymes, growth factors, and immunoglobulins (antibodies)
- Amino acids, proteins, and beneficial raw fats that are 100 percent digestible and in a highly bioavailable form
- Highly bioavailable vitamins (A, B, C, D, E), and a very balanced blend of minerals (magnesium, calcium, iron, and phosphorus) whose absorption is enhanced by live lactobacilli
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.