By now, you may be familiar with cocoa’s versatility. Cocoa, which is harvested from the plant of the same name, refers to roasted cacao or cocoa beans that are ground into a powder where most of the fat has been removed.1 Throughout the years, it has become a staple ingredient in sweet treats, and has been featured in beverages like hot cocoa.
While you can buy cocoa powdered drinks from groceries or pre-blended in coffee shops, these do not compare to the satisfaction and flavor that you get when you make hot cocoa from scratch, just like in this creamy keto hot cocoa recipe. Using real ingredients, instead of artificial substances, can help deliver important benefits and warm you up whenever the weather gets too cold.
Delightfully Healthy Keto Hot Cocoa Recipe
- 1 cup organic full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 heaping tablespoon organic raw cacaopowder
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Dr. Mercola’s Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Manuka honey or Dr. Mercola’s Organic Honey
- 1 teaspoon Dr. Mercola’s MCT oil
- 1 teaspoon monk fruit or Luo Han Guo, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend for three minutes.
- Place cocoa mixture in a small saucepan and warm the mixture over low heat. Be sure to whisk often to ensure all the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- If you’d like to, add coconut whipped cream or cacao nibs.
This Keto Hot Cocoa Recipe Is Unlike Any Drink You’ve Tried Before
Cocoa beans and hot cocoa have gone a long way since their supposed origin in Mexico, where Mayans drank a concoction made from ground up cocoa seeds combined with water, cornmeal and chili peppers as early as 500 B.C. The early 1500s and 1700s saw the travel of cocoa beans and chocolate drink-making tools to places like Spain and London.2
Nowadays, hot cocoa is associated with warm fireplaces and cozy sweaters, as this beverage gets very popular during the fall or winter to combat the cold weather. Fortunately, hot cocoa, when done right and made with the correct ingredients, can provide vital health benefits that may improve overall health and well-being. Here are some reasons why this keto hot cocoa is a valuable addition to your arsenal.
What Are Cacao’s Health Benefits?
Organic raw cacao powder comes with various health benefits, which are linked to the naturally occurring compounds found in the cacao bean:
- Epicatechin: This flavonoid is said to provide both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and may assist with shielding nerve cells from possible damage.
- Resveratrol: It’s known as a powerful antioxidant that may fight free radicals in the body and deliver anti-inflammatory and anticarcinogenic properties. Resveratrol was also proven to promote neuroprotective effects and has the ability to cross the blood-brain barrier, allowing it to moderate inflammation in the central nervous system (CNS). This action is crucial because CNS inflammation may play a major role in the onset of neurodegenerative diseases.
Cacao beans are also home to the following:
- Healthy fats
- Other antioxidants
- Nitrogenous compounds like proteins, methylxanthines theobromine and caffeine
- Minerals like potassium, phosphorus, copper, iron, zinc and magnesium
- Valeric acid, which acts as a stress reducer despite the presence of stimulants
Furthermore, several studies have confirmed that cacao may provide benefits to your heart, blood vessels, brain and nervous system, and help combat diabetes and other diseases rooted in inflammation. Other possible benefits of cacao include:
Antiobesity effects, mainly due to the polyphenols’ potential ability to suppress fatty acid synthesis, while stimulating cell energy expenditure in the mitochondria6
Improvement of gastrointestinal flora7
Improvement of exercise endurance8
Reduction of stress hormones
Neuroprotective benefits and decreased Alzheimer’s disease risk9
Protection against preeclampsia in pregnant women10
How to Pick High-Quality Cacao
When buying raw cacao, look for a product with higher amounts of cacao and lower sugar content. In general, the darker the chocolate, the higher the cacao content. Aim for products with a cacao percentage of 70 percent or higher.
Ultimately, remember that a higher cacao percentage means that the product will be more bitter. The polyphenols are responsible for chocolate’s bitterness, so some manufacturers strip cacao of some polyphenols for a sweeter final product. However, this isn’t ideal, since by removing the polyphenols, the potential health benefits are removed too.
As much as possible, purchase organic raw cacao powder from a trusted health store or reputable website that can offer you the real deal. Once you have your powder, store it in an airtight container in a cool and dark place with temperatures of 60 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Most of the time, the original container you bought the powder in may be fine, since it may already have a tight-fitting lid.
Organic cocoa powdered can store well for up to two years if you follow these instructions. Avoid storing cocoa powder in the refrigerator, since the humidity inside may promote spoilage.11
On the other hand, if you want to add raw cacao nibs to use as a topping, you can check out well-respected health stores and websites too. Buy cacao nibs whole and grind them yourself (you can use a coffee grinder) if you want to use these. You can also eat them whole, just like typical chocolate chips. A healthy serving of cacao nibs would probably stand at one-half to 1 ounce per day.
Coconut Milk: A Good Choice for Hot Cocoa
Typical hot cocoa recipes call for some milk to be mixed with the liquid cocoa. Instead of adding conventional milk from cows raised in concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs), why not try coconut milk instead? Coconut milk comes from the meat of this health-providing fruit. The flesh is finely grated, boiled in water and strained through a cheesecloth, resulting in a liquid with a thick consistency. Coconut milk with a thinner consistency may also be made by repeatedly straining the remaining coconut meat.12
The fact that this milk is made from coconut meat provides a major advantage, since this is where the fruit’s nutrients are mostly concentrated.13 This type of milk may eventually lead to the following health benefits:
- Acting as a tool that can boost energy and help with weight management: Medium-chain triglycerides (MCT), a type of healthy fat found in coconut milk, tend to be immediately digested and metabolized in the liver and eventually help deliver an energy boost. Furthermore, MCTs aren’t stored as fats, so they can be a potentially good way to manage weight too.14
- Helping manage cholesterol levels: Regular consumption of coconut milk may deliver a positive impact on cholesterol levels. Researchers from an October 2013 Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism study highlighted that coconut may assist with lowering LDL or bad cholesterol levels in as quickly as two months.15
- Reducing risk for inflammation: Coconuts have been noted for their potential in helping reduce inflammation in the body. An animal study proved that a type of MCT in coconut called lauric acid helped reduce a signaling pathway that prompts inflammation, particularly against the microbe Propionibacterium acnes responsible for acne infection.16
- Helping combat viruses and bacteria: Various research has shown that lauric acid may help prevent maturity of the vesicular stomatitis virus.17Other studies have also shown that coconut can be effective against Candida yeast and the Staphylococcus bacteria strain.18,19
Just like cocoa, coconut milk is an ingredient that you can use in a variety of drinks and dishes to give them a subtle flavor. Of course, you can also drink it on its own to help refresh your body. If coconut milk isn’t your cup of tea (or milk, rather), a good alternative would be raw, grass fed milk.
Watch the video below:
11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.