The distinct sweet smell and flavor of pumpkin spice can give us a warm fuzzy feeling during the holidays. What better way to enjoy this spice that we’ve associated with comfort than by adding it to a hot drink? If you’re one of those people who absolutely love fall, there is a high chance that you’ve sipped a soothing mug of pumpkin spice latte.
However, if you take a closer look at the nutritional content of Starbucks’ pumpkin spice latte, you can see that it’s a health disaster waiting to happen. The sugar content alone is something that should alarm you, as a standard pumpkin spice latte can pack up to 50 grams of sugar per serving!1 While Starbucks and other coffee shops can offer you the convenience of getting your pumpkin spice fix on the go, they also expose you to a variety of health repercussions because of the excessive sugar content.
If you’re looking for a healthier and a more natural version of this popular drink, try this recipe instead. Not only does this recipe use only high-quality ingredients, but it also saves you from overloading on sugar by using only the natural sweetness of the pumpkin puree.
Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte: Make This Fall Favorite at Home
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Heat on stovetop until it simmers.
- Top with a sprinkle of pumpkin spice.
- Serve hot.
What Exactly Is Pumpkin Spice?
Pumpkin spice is basically the same combination of spices traditionally added to a pumpkin pie; hence, the name. It’s a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, dry ginger, clove and allspice. This means that pumpkin spice, the natural kind made from fresh spices, can offer you a slew of health benefits. Here are some of the health benefits that you can get from the following ingredients of pumpkin spice:
- Cinnamon. Cinnamon contains high amounts of calcium, fiber and manganese. These components help promote bone, reproductive and cell health.
- Nutmeg. This brown spice is packed with phytochemicals and antioxidants that help in disease prevention and pain management. It is also rich in manganese, copper and magnesium, which are essential for cell repair.
- Allspice. Allspice has anti-inflammatory properties, which may help in reducing the effects of arthritis, gout and muscle pain. It can help with digestion, immunity and dental health as well.2
- Clove. As an expectorant, clove can help in alleviating inflammation in the respiratory system. It also promotes the production of gastric acids, which can aid in digestion.
However, because of the popularity of the pumpkin spice flavor, a handful of companies have made it a point to add artificial flavors and shocking amounts of sugar to better replicate how freshly baked pumpkin pie tastes. When buying pumpkin spice flavored products or just the spice alone, make sure that you check whether they’re organic and free of any artificial ingredients. You can also opt to make your own pumpkin spice blend to be sure that all the ingredients are of the highest quality.
What Health Benefits Can You Get From Pumpkin?
Pumpkin is actually extremely nutrient-dense and fiber-rich. It is also one of the main ingredients in pumpkin spice latte, because it holds everything together and gives the drink its natural sweetness. Some of the nutrients you can get from pumpkin include:
- A surplus of vitamins and minerals. Pumpkin is filled with vitamin A, C, calcium and iron, which are essential nutrients to promote and maintain good health.
- Antioxidants and flavonoids. The high antioxidant and flavonoid content of pumpkin can help in the prevention of heart disease, cancer, macular degeneration and other diseases that may be triggered by oxidative stress.
- Fiber. Pumpkin is loaded with fiber, which helps keep you feeling full for longer periods of time. Eating foods that are high in fiber can help you lose weight and promote better digestion.3
When buying pumpkins, make sure that you go for the organically grown ones instead of those that are conventionally grown. Pumpkins may not harbor as many pesticides as other crops, but they are still exposed to a variety of chemicals that can be harmful to you and the environment. Pumpkins found in bulk bins are most probably conventionally grown, which means that you should steer clear from these.4
Coffee May Protect You From Chronic Disease
While I don’t usually drink coffee because I can’t stand the taste, it would be unfair to snub the impressive health benefits of this “liquid energy.” Coffee has been around for thousands of years and has been widely utilized for its energy-boosting properties. If you drink coffee as an everyday breakfast drink, you’re probably reaping the benefits. Just make sure that you’re not pouring insane amounts of creamer, sugar or other artificial sweeteners into your cup. Some of the impressive benefits you can get from coffee include:
- Protects against clogged arteries. A study showed that people who drank three to five cups of coffee a day were less likely to develop heart disease. Coffee drinkers had little to no calcium deposits in their coronary arteries compared to non-coffee drinkers.5
- Lowers the risk for melanoma. Coffee has been observed to promote cell apoptosis, fight against oxidative stress and alleviate inflammation in the epidermal cells.
- May prevent dementia. The high caffeine content of coffee promotes brain health by providing the proper triggers for the release of brain-derived neurotrophic factors, which are responsible for activating brain stem cell conversion to new neurons.
- Supports reproductive health. Studies show that daily consumption of coffee can lower your risk for prostate cancer or endometrial cancer by as much as 20 percent.6
It should be noted that coffee consumption is not at all recommended for pregnant women as it can adversely affect the development of your unborn child. Your risk of suffering a miscarriage also increases, as well as heart damage and birth defects on the part of the baby.
A quick note from our founder-
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That's right -- as a special launch promotion, we're offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) -- All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
To begin, I apologize for the dark nature of today's email.
However I promise what you'll discover today will be completely worth it.
Imagine a rotting corpse draped over your body from head to toe...
...suffocating tissue, restricting blood flow, damaging joints and infecting your healthy cells.
Shockingly, that nightmare is a reality for most:
64% of women and 74% of men carry too much body fat according to the National Institutes of Health.
It's choking their organs, assaulting their metabolism and sucking their energy dry.
But here's the worst part:
For most, this bodyfat has become "calorie-resistant":
It's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
This zombie fat is essentially... "dead tissue".
That's important for those who have 10, 25 or 50 or more pounds to lose...
AND for those who aren't technically overweight, but have what's called "pocket obesity"...
...unsightly patches of fat that cling to specific places, like:
just above your hips, lower belly, where your butt and legs meet... and even arms, neck and face.
However, there's good news:
Obesity researchers have now discovered a "metabolic jumper cable":
It jolts dead bodyfat back to life.
This allows your metabolism to burn it as calories and re-energize your entire body.
First though, here's the #1 reason why bodyfat becomes calorie-resistant:
It lacks blood flow. This has 3 effects:
- Not enough oxygen or nutrients reach fat cells, so they become unresponsive..
- Released fat can't be sent to other tissues to be burned, so fat cells suck it back in...
- 3) Metabolic hormones carrying the "burn calories" message don't reach the fat cell...
All this means one thing:
Your body can't transform into energy, the 135,000+ of calories the average person stores as fat!
You become a metabolic zombie: NO energy to think. NO energy to move. NO energy to motivate.
Update: calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
The discovery of this "metabolic jumper cable" can now reverse this process:
- It wakes up un-responsive bodyfat with a powerful calorie-burning hormonal jolt....
- It pops open fat cells, sucks out the fat, sending it off before its yanked back in...
- It shuttles fat to your brain, heart, lungs, kidneys - even your bones - to be burned as energy.
Not only do those layers of "zombie fat" start coming off, but your entire body just works better.
Plus, as your whole body burns more calories, those patches of pocket obesity whittle away.
This "metabolic jumper cable" isn't any exercise, machine or pill.
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive.
It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know.
And on this next page, you'll find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
PS - Studies show that not only can healthy levels of this powerful calorie-burning hormone devour bodyfat and fortify soft muscle, but it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat.
This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
P.S. Make sure you check out the next page to get to know the 10 simple moves that will bring vitality back into your life!
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video. He's going to be the talk of 2016.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
Is Bread Really the Staff of Life… or the Stuff of Disease?
For most us, there are few foods more comforting than bread.
Fluffy biscuits, crusty baguettes, flaky croissants… even a simple slice of toast topped with melted butter can taste like heaven.
And that smell… few scents are quite as pleasant as fresh bread baking in the oven.
But there is a lot of confusion as to where bread fits into a healthy diet.
The Bible practically commands followers to eat it: “Give us this day our daily bread…” The government put it at the base of the food pyramid. And for centuries, it has been called “the staff of life.”
Of course, there are some who disagree…
Well-known cardiologist, Dr. William Davis, calls wheat “the perfect chronic poison.”
And for a poison, we sure eat lots of it…
The average American consumes 55 pounds of wheat flour every year, making refined flour the #1 source of calories in the American Diet – a situation that nutrition expert Chris Kresser describes as, “a public health catastrophe.”
So, what is the truth about bread and wheat?
- Is it the perfect poison… or an essential daily food?
- Is “gluten-free” bread better for you than regular bread?
- And can you still eat bread… while maintaining a lean body and optimal health?
The answers to these questions may surprise you!
Be sure to read #5 – the biggest surprise of all!
Recently, Doctor of Naturopathy, weight-loss expert and best-selling Amazon author Liz Swann Miller, creator of the Red Smoothie Detox Factor, revealed 2 of the secrets to easy, steady weight loss. Secrets the big food corporations do their best to hide from us.
Secret #1: Enjoy real food. Don’t fall for the lie that you have to deprive yourself to lose weight.
Secret #2: stop eating out. You will automatically eat less without even noticing.
Then start detoxing your body with tasty, nourishing smoothies that are just as easy on your wallet as they are easy to make.
Because a single day of enjoying Liz’ smoothies demonstrated the radical power of her superfood-packed red smoothies to make me feel incredibly good.
Now prepare yourself for one of the biggest weight loss secrets there is. A secret that, when you use it properly, can transform your body and your health.
You probably know most of us eat too much processed food. What you may not know is that it’s full of toxic chemicals and substandard, dirt-cheap ingredients designed to make you eat more…and force you to gain weight.
Here’s how it works.
“That stuff is just a lot of calories your body can’t use,” Liz told me, “Some are poison. And all these foods are stripped of the anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that help your body detox. The result? Your body expends huge amounts of calories to eliminate some toxins—the rest, it stores in your fat to protect you. This is why most people are hungry all the time. They’re not getting energy they need.”
“So… what’s going on with me? Why am I losing weight but not going hungry?”
Liz paused, then dropped the bombshell.
Your body is designed to burn fat. You just have to let it.
“What? I thought we were designed to store fat?!?” We were Skyping and I was practically shouting. Then I heard Liz say…
What good is a fat reserve if you can’t burn it?
Liz continued: “You’re drinking smoothies packed with phytonutrients, anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that pull toxins out of you like a tractor beam. Allowing your body to burn those toxin-filled fat stores… and releasing tremendous amounts of stored energy.”
So that’s why I’m losing weight without going hungry.
Watch Liz’ free presentation. It’s packed with revolutionary weight loss information—information that works. Because it’s based on how nature.
Click the button only if you want to wear smaller clothes, breathe easier, move more freely and just plain feel better.
- Which calories help you lose weight…and which ones help you gain it…
- The “diet” foods…some of them vegetables…that lead to weight gain and diabetes…
- The “low-fat” foods that can dramatically increase your risk of cancer.
- And the superfoods that rescue your body from this assault by detoxing you…
Revitalizing your metabolism so you can Shed pounds as well as toxins, renew your body and reset your internal clock by up to 7 years.
Because until now, the Red Smoothie Detox Factor has been available only to Liz’ private clients. But now that she’s perfected it to work for almost everyone, almost every time, Liz is sharing it with rest of us so we can feel better and look better.
Get Red Smoothie Detox Factor before the price goes back up.
Because Liz offers a ridiculously good guarantee. You have 60 days to decide you love the Red Smoothie Detox Factor. If you don’t love it—for any reason, or even no reason at all —Liz will refund your money. 100%. No questions asked.
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.