Yogurt is one of the most accessible fermented foods you can eat, with a rich history going all the way back 6,000 years ago in Central Asia, most likely in Turkey. During that time, herdsmen preserved the milk harvested from their cattle in animal stomachs that contained probiotics. As a result, the milk became fermented, which provided them a wealth of health benefits.
Eventually, yogurt reached the United States in the 1700s through Turkish immigrants, but it only became widespread during the 1950s when the awareness of consuming organic and fermented foods was on the rise.1
Making your own yogurt is quite easy, but you need to follow the instructions below to the letter to yield high-quality results. The only two things you need are raw, grass fed milk and a yogurt starter culture. Once you have these two items, you can proceed with the fermenting process:
How to Make Fresh Homemade Yogurt
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 6 to 8 hours
- 1 1/2 quarts of raw, grass fed milk
- Dr. Mercola’s Kinetic Culture Starter Kit for Yogurt
- Add the milk in a pot, then heat to 185 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes using a double boiler. Stir frequently.
- Cool the milk to 110 degrees while still stirring occasionally.
- Once cooled, add the packet of Kinetic Culture yogurt starter to the pot and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the Kinetic Culture yogurt maker glass jars.
- Place the uncovered jars into your yogurt maker and cover the unit with clear lid. Set temperature to 110 degrees and set the timer.
- Let the yogurt culture for six to eight hours.
- Remove the jars from the unit, cover with lids and cool in the refrigerator overnight or at least six hours.
Here’s how to make Greek yogurt from your yogurt, once it’s finished fermenting in the yogurt maker:
- Stretch a piece of cheesecloth or clean tea towel over the top of a bowl and secure it in place with rubber bands to form a strainer.
- Open your cups of yogurt and carefully pour onto the strainer.
- Place the yogurt in the refrigerator and allow it to drain for at least two hours. The longer the draining time, the thicker your yogurt will be.
- Once it reaches your desired thickness, spoon yogurt back into individual serving jars or other storage container and refrigerate.
Fermenting the Milk Brings Out Nutrients That Are Essential for a Healthier Body
Throughout history, various cultures have used fermentation to help prolong the shelf life of their food. Asian cultures fermented vegetables such as cabbage, eggplant, cucumbers and onions, while European cultures consumed fermented dairy beverages such as kefir.
Interestingly, research has showed that these fermented foods can help your health as well. Fermented foods possess certain nutrients that are hard to find in other food sources. One example is vitamin K2, which can help with the proper formation of bones and lower your risk of arterial plaque buildup. These foods are also a good source of B vitamins, which can help your body maximize the energy it gets from the other foods you eat.2
Some of the benefits you can get from consuming fermented foods regularly include:
- Immune system boost — Probiotics actually play an important role in your health by protecting you against pathogens that may overwhelm your immune system. In one study, researchers discovered that the probiotic strain Lactobacillus rhamnosus can help protect against the effects of toxic heavy metals in children and pregnant women.3
- Brain health — Consuming yogurt may have a positive effect on your mental health. According to a study conducted by UCLA researchers, they noticed that those who consumed yogurt regularly exhibited improved emotional response in an emotion-recognition task.4
- Diabetes management — Evidence suggests that probiotics can help manage blood sugar levels. According to a 2016 meta-analysis, probiotic consumption may help lower insulin resistance in people who have type 2 diabetes, especially if the product consumed has multiple beneficial strains.5
Why You Need to Use Raw, Grass Fed Milk When Making Yogurt
Undoubtedly, the star of yogurt is its probiotics, which can provide you with numerous benefits that have been mentioned above. However, it’s important to consider the other equation of yogurt, which is the milk.
It’s important to use high-quality grass fed milk because it provides a good foundation for the healthy bacteria to grow and ferment. Furthermore, it’s simply a safer, healthier choice compared to pasteurized milk and other dairy products from cows raised in concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs).
Raw milk tends to have a slightly yellow color. That’s because it contains natural antioxidants that are found in the grass that cows consume. These natural carotenoids are actually a precursor to vitamin A. In addition, raw milk has the following benefits:
- Naturally occurring probiotics
- Various enzymes, growth factors and antibodies that can help boost your health in numerous ways
- Rich in healthy fats and proteins that are 100 percent digestible
- Vitamins A, B, C, D, E and K, as well as minerals such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and iron
- Omega-3 fatty acids
Avoid Commercially Manufactured Yogurt
Buying store-bought yogurt is one of the biggest mistakes you can do that can endanger your health. Ironically, many yogurt manufacturers add sugar to their products to make them more appealing and to increase sales, but it basically negates everything that real yogurt is good for.
Again, if you want to maximize the benefits of yogurt, you have to make it at home. It’s the best way to be sure that you’re eating a high-quality product filled with beneficial bacteria. Don’t forget to share this nutritious recipe with your friends and family!
11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.