Now, lime is more popularly used as a cooking ingredient, adding a tangy flavor to your favorite dishes. But there’s another great way to reap its benefits: Use lime oil. Get to know the many uses of this invigorating and refreshing citrus oil.
What Is Lime Oil?
Lime oil comes from Citrus aurantifolia of the Rutaceae plant family.2 This evergreen tree is short and bushy, growing between 6 and 13 feet high (much smaller than orange or grapefruit trees), and has dark green leaves, white blossoms and green oval fruits.3
There are two main types of lime trees: the Mexican lime (Key lime) and the Tahiti lime (Persian or Bearss lime). Lime is indigenous to Southeast Asia and later spread to Egypt and Africa, but is now grown in warm climates around the world.
Lime oil has a sharp citrus scent, and is either pale yellow or light olive in color depending on how it was produced. Although it’s traditionally used as a flavoring agent in food, there are other well-known uses for it.
Uses of Lime Oil
Lime oil has been extensively used in the food and beverage industry, as well as in making fragrances. This versatile citrus oil is also added to household cleaners, detergents, soaps and other beauty products.
You can also get body-wide benefits by using lime oil in aromatherapy, as it is stimulating and refreshing. Just like lemon oil, lime oil can be used for its cleansing properties. Its rich vitamin C content also makes it an ideal immune system booster, helping protect you from colds and flu.
There are multiple ways to use lime oil, depending on what health condition you want to treat or address:4
|You can relieve stress, exhaustion and anxiety or calm your mind by diffusing a few drops using a vaporizer. This also helps boost your immune system, especially after an illness. You can add it to your bathwater as well.|
|For colds, coughs, sinusitis, sore throat and chest congestion, add a few drops to a bowl of steaming water and inhale it. You can also mix a few drops with a carrier oil, then rub it on your neck and chest.|
|If you have rheumatism and arthritis, put two to three drops in an ounce of carrier oil, then massage on the affected areas regularly. This method also works for cellulite and varicose veins.|
|Treat bleeding cuts and wounds by putting two drops in a cold compress and pressing it on the affected areas.|
|For acne and other skin problems, mix two drops of lime oil with 15 drops of jojoba oil and apply onto your skin. This helps wash out impurities while promoting the growth of new skin cells.|
|Avoid dandruff and bring life to dull, frizzy or oily hair by mixing a few drops of lime oil in your favorite shampoo. Lime can help remove oil quickly while moisturizing your scalp from within.5|
- Remove grease spots and sticker residue. Put lime oil on a cotton pad and use it to wipe surfaces clean. It also helps remove gum and can be used to clean a dry erase board.
- Prevent fruits from turning brown. Add one to two drops to your fruits.
- Repel insects, such as mosquitoes and ants. Simply diffuse it in your home.
- Add flavor to your citrus-infused dishes. Add a few drops for a deeper, tangy flavor.
Composition of Lime Oil
Like lemons, limes and lime essential oil are full of antioxidants and other beneficial nutrients.8 Lime oil is loaded with terpene hydrocarbons, such as a-pinene, b-pinene, d-pinene, camphene, sabinene and terponolene.
It also contains oxygenated compounds such as a-terpineol, 1,8-cineole, 1,4-cineole, linalool and fenchol, as well as sesquiterpenes. It also contains traces of neral acetate and geranyl acetate.9
Benefits of Lime Oil
Tetanus can be spread through wounds inflicted by rusty iron objects. Did you know that lime oil can be used to treat such injuries?12 Just like the fruit, lime oil is chock-full of benefits, owing to its rich antioxidant and nutrient content. It’s a great oil to add to your natural first-aid kit. Lime oil can:13
- Help relieve internal and external infections. It can help prevent wounds from being infected, as well as help ease infections of the throat, colon, mouth, intestines, stomach and urinary system. It can also help heal or relieve skin problems such as sores, rashes, psoriasis and carbuncles.
- Relieve respiratory disorders. It can help treat bronchitis and is effective against viral infections like flu, coughs and colds
- Promote good oral health. It strengthens the grip of the gums to prevent tooth loss.
- Help kill bacteria that cause diarrhea, food poisoning, cholera and typhoid. It also helps treat internal and external bacterial infections.
- Detoxify your liver. Taken internally, it can serve as an important component of a detox regimen that promotes liver health.14
How to Make Lime Oil
There are two ways by which lime oil is produced: cold-pressing and distilling. Cold-pressed oil has a yellow or green color, with a rich and fresh lime peel aroma. Meanwhile, distilled is either pale yellow or clear, with a fragrant fruity scent.
Between these two, I would recommend using cold-pressed lime oil, as it retains more of the natural elements that make lime oil so beneficial. Even though cold-pressed lime oil costs more than distilled varieties, it’s definitely worth the money.15You can also make a basic lime oil infusion at home with these easy steps:16
•2 cups olive oil
•Citrus zester or paring knife
•2 Kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- Heat 2 cups of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. While doing this, wash the limes and dry them thoroughly.
- Using the paring knife or zester, cut the lime zest into quarter-inch strips. Do not cut into the pith, though.
- Add the lime zest and two Kaffir lime leaves (if using) to the olive oil. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and then cover, allowing the zest and leaves to steep for two-and-a-half hours.
- Using the fine-mesh sieve, store the oil in an airtight and non-reactive storage container. You can leave the zest in the mixture as a garnish. Store it in a cool, dry place. No need for refrigeration.
This lime oil infusion can be used for up to two weeks.
How Does Lime Oil Work?
According to a 2003 study on the aromatic volatiles in key lime essential oils, the components geranial, neral and linalool are dominant in lime oil, contributing to its fresh and citrus aroma. These components also contribute to the oil’s astringent, tonic, antiseptic, antiviral, antimicrobial, restorative, stimulant and other health-promoting properties.17 To ensure the shelf life of your lime oil, keep it in a cool, dark place, away from sunlight.
Is Lime Oil Safe?
Lime oil can be inhaled or vaporized, used topically, or added to food in small amounts. It’s said to be non-toxic and non-irritating, but this does not mean that you should use it recklessly.18 For instance, do a patch test to see if you have any sensitivity to this oil. Simply apply a drop or two to your skin to check if you develop any allergic reaction.
I do not recommend using undiluted lime oil, as it can be very potent. Instead, blend it with a milder oil, such as coconut oil or olive oil. Lime oil also blends well with lavender, neroli, ylang-ylang and clary sage.19
As with other herbal oils, I advise you to consult your physician before ingesting this oil (diluted or mixed in food) to determine the proper dosage for your condition. I also do not recommend lime oil for pregnant women or nursing mothers without first seeking the advice of their healthcare provider.
Side Effects of Lime Oil
Citrus oils like lime oil are photosensitive, meaning they react to light, radiant energy or other sources of UV rays. If you use this oil topically and then go out into the sun or other light sources, an adverse reaction such as a rash or dark pigmentation may appear after several minutes, hours or days after the light exposure.
So, whatever happens, don’t expose your skin to the sun if you’ve just used lime oil. Wait for six to 24 hours before going out. The stronger the UV rays that you will be exposed to, the longer the wait should be.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.