Two years ago my Mom gifted me a facial for my birthday. I did not really know what to think, I was still the girl who splashed water her face at night and slept with eye makeup on! I had never really paid attention to my skin — I had been blessed with good skin for the most part and never really had to worry. Well, let me tell you, it was AHmazing. Not only was it so relaxing, but also very informative! She told me all about the importance of taking care of my skin.
So began my skin care routine.
Being the crunchy Mama that I am, I did not want to buy a ton of the “product” that she recommended to me. I mean, check out the ingredients lists on those pretty bottles! Yikes!!! So, I started investigating different natural companies. I did find a few that I liked quite a bit, like Tarte and 100% Pure, but they did not perform as well from a makeup standpoint. I finally settled on Beautycounter because their makeup is toxin free, and it actually works just as good as the expensive stuff from the makeup counters!
Now I had my makeup figured out, but how about those expensive face creams? I decided to try making my own!
Then I got into essential oils. Wow, that took things to a whole new level! My favorite oil to use on my face is Frankincense. Naturally, I had to come up with a skin cream that included it….Frankincense face cream!
A little bit about the other oils I chose, and why I chose them…
- Cocoa butter: improves skin tone and elasticity
- Coconut oil: promotes collagen production and heals damaged skin
- Jojoba oil: anti-inflammatory and has been shown to reduce the signs of aging
- Sweet almond oil: reduces scarring, smoothes and rejuvenates skin
Note: this recipe makes about 1 cup of face cream. I divide it between 2 jars and store one in the fridge for later. If you only want a small amount, then divide the recipe in two.
Frankincense Face Cream
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter — where to find
- 1/4 cup coconut oil — where to find
- 2 Tbsp jojoba oil — where to find
- 2 Tbsp sweet almond oil — where to find
- 40 drops Frankincense essential oil — where I get my therapeutic grade oils (at wholesale pricing)
- In a double boiler, melt the cocoa butter
- Combine melted cocoa butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil, and almond oil in a mixing bowl (I use the bowl from my kitchen aid mixer)
- Place the bowl into your fridge until it starts to harden
- Once it is cooled and hardened, put the bowl under your stand mixer, or use your hand mixer to whip it up
- Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula and whip some more. I scrape and whip several times to get it all well combined
- Whip until nice and fluffy, then add in the Frankincense and whip until combined
- Store Frankincense Face Cream in the glass jar, or transfer to any container you desire. I use these or these (you can also find some really cute bottles and jars HERE)
- Apply Frankincense Face Cream to skin as needed for moisturizing, I use it morning and night. You only need a small amount to cover your face, if you use too much it will be greasy. A little bit goes a long way!
- I store mine in the fridge in the warmer months to keep it cool. Its very refreshing to apply a cool cream in the summer!
I have become so passionate about creating safe skincare for everyone that I created a “Safe Skincare” Facebook Group. I would love to have you in there, we talk about everything from toxins in our products to fun DIYs! JOIN HERE
UPDATE: I used to sell this cream on Etsy and would always sell out within an hour of listing it! I have since quit selling it, but I get regular requests to start back up. I don’t have time to fit that back into my schedule at this time, but a blogger friend of mine makes a great tallow cream using essential oils. It is almost identical in texture and results to this Frankincense Face Cream. So, if you don’t want to make your own and would rather buy it, check out her page HERE.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.