Have you checked the label on your toothpaste lately? Sure, they advertise that it will fight germs for up to 12 hours, helping to fight plaque and tartar and prevent gingivitis, while also whitening your teeth and giving you minty fresh breath. But, there is something they are NOT telling you about that pretty blue and white swirl on your toothbrush.
Many of the ingredients in that little innocuous tube are more harmful than you know. Let’s take a gander, shall we?
Toothpaste ingredients typically consist of:
1. Mild Abrasives (to remove debris and residual surface stains)
- Calcium carbonate: a form of calcium, can cause skin irritation
- Dehydrated silica gels: the stuff found in those little packets in your shoe box
- Hydrated aluminum oxides: contains aluminum, a known neurotoxin
- Magnesium carbonate: a form of magnesium
- Phosphate salts: phosphate salts can irritate the digestive tract and cause stomach upset, diarrhea, constipation, and other problems
2. Fluoride (to strengthen tooth enamel and remineralize tooth decay)
This one is a hot topic of controversy! We personally believe that fluoride is harmful and filter it out of our water using this filter. I have read up on fluoride extensively and when I came across an article explaining it as having adverse effects on children’s neurodevelopment, I decided that we do not need fluoride anywhere in our house or personal care products.
3. Humectants (to prevent water loss in the toothpaste)
- Glycerol: when taken by mouth, glycerol can cause side effects including headaches, dizziness, bloating, nausea, vomiting, thirst, and diarrhea
- Propylene glycol: (aka antifreeze) propylene glycol has caused skin and mucous membrane irritation when given orally. It has induced skin sensitization reactions in several individuals and when taken orally, it can also induce skin rashes. By the oral route or by injection, propylene glycol has resulted in severe effects on the CNS and metabolic disruptions. (source)
- Sorbitol: a sugar alcohol
4. Flavoring Agents
Such as saccharin and other sweeteners to provide taste. Saccharin has been linked to bladder cancer in rat studies.
5. Thickening Agents or Binders (to stabilize the toothpaste formula)
These are generally benign, but I listed them anyway.
- Mineral colloids
- Natural gums: depends on which gum is used
- Seaweed colloids
- Synthetic cellulose: this is wood pulp that is processed, dried, and then bleached. Yum!
6. Detergents (to create foaming action)
- Sodium lauryl sulfate: EWG Rating. Dr. Mercola really goes into detail about this one HERE
- Sodium N-Lauryl sarcosinate: EWG Rating. It may enhance the penetration of other ingredients through the skin
So, there you have it. A general breakdown of what might be in the toothpaste you are buying at the store. Even some of the “natural” toothpastes contain these, so always check your labels. OR, make your own homemade toothpaste! Making your own homemade toothpaste is not only easy (and fun!), but it is also cost effective. Many of these ingredients you will already have in your cupboard and this batch will last you a while!
If you do not want to make your own, HERE is my absolute favorite healthy toothpaste!
Peppermint Homemade Toothpaste Recipe
- 1/2 cup coconut oil — where to find
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 1 Tbsp magnesium and calcium powder
- 1 tsp non-GMO xylitol — where to find
- 10 -15 drops peppermint essential oil — we use this kind, because it’s therapeutic grade
- 10 drops Thieves or Spearmint essential oils (optional) — you can find Thieves here and Spearmint here
- Toothpaste Tube — we use these because they are easy to fill and BPA free
- If your coconut oil is in a solid state, melt it into liquid
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients
- Add peppermint to your preference. Some like it REALLY minty! Add Thieves if you want to give your paste a boost
- Put into an empty toothpaste tube
- Use as needed to brush your teeth and have minty fresh breath!
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.