I like my waffles crispy, buttery, and light.
Waffles are totally my jam. I love them because you can pile them high with all of the good things. Maple syrup. Fresh peaches. Sliced strawberries. Bacon. And for the Scandinavian girl in me: blueberries and fresh cream. (Am I making you hungry yet?)
Since I got my new super awesome waffle maker, I’ve been perfecting my waffle game. A good waffle should be crispy. It should be light. And it should ooze with butter flavor. Am I right, y’all? And it should be easy to freeze and reheat for busy mornings. Because waffles always make the day better.
So here you go.
My classic crispy waffle recipe. They are simple. They are gluten and nut free. And they are legit. You can thank me later.
If you are a big, fluffy, Belgian waffle eater, these may not be the waffles you are looking for. I prefer a thinner, crispy waffle that holds up to all of the things I like to pile on top. The crispiness comes from the melted butter or ghee in the batter. I also LIBERALLY grease my waffle iron before I make each waffle. I mean, more butter is always better. Right? (If you don’t know cassava flour, it’s my fav gluten free and grain free flour to sub 1:1 for traditional flour in recipes. It acts most like traditional flour.)
Waffle maker makes a difference!
I do have to say that the waffle maker that you use does matter. I had a standard waffle maker for years. It was alright. It did the job. But last year, I upgraded to THIS waffle maker, and it has made all the difference in my waffle game. My waffles never stick. It has a steam release feature that allows the steam to come out the sides, leaving you with an extra crispy waffle. It’s also pretty, which is important if you leave your stuff all over the counters like I do.
The recipe consists of just a few basic ingredients. The base is cassava flour, arrowroot powder, baking soda, and salt. A little egg, milk, water, and melted ghee/butter make up the wet part. Feel free to add a titch of maple syrup if you like a sweeter waffle. That’s it. Super easy. You can use any milk that you liked. I’ve used full fat coconut, whole raw dairy, and homemade almond milk.
I usually double the recipe to make 6 waffles and freeze the leftovers. They heat up nicely in the toaster oven for a quick breakfast or snack. You’ll never buy store-bought frozen waffles again.
I’m not the only one who thinks these waffles are the bomb. The official taste testers for Savory Lotus (my fam) have given them a two thumbs up. And I think you will love them too.
Happy eating. And big love!
THE BEST CRISPY WAFFLE RECIPE (GLUTEN FREE, NUT FREE, AND PALEO)
- Yield: 3 standard waffles
- 3/4 cup cassava flour (like this)
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder (like this)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk of any kind
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup butter or ghee, melted
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- butter/ghee for waffle iron
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Combine cassava flour, arrowroot, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, milk, water. melted fat, and optional maple syrup. Once waffle iron is hot, add dry to wet and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Liberally brush melted butter/ghee on waffle maker. Scoop mixture onto hot waffle iron. I did about 1/2 cup per waffle. Each waffle maker will vary. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot.
- Feel free to use any milk that you like. If using full fat coconut milk, I would add an extra 2 tablespoons of water as it is very thick.
- Don’t be tempted to take waffles off waffle iron too early, be sure to let them get nice and golden brown.
11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.