Today I am bringing back an oldie but goodie. It has made me sad that my favorite soup in the whole world has been banished to the deep archives of the blog with an old, ugly photo.
So I decided to reintroduce it with updated pictures to give it the attention that it deserves.
(Re) Introducing: The Ultimate Green Soup!
How would I describe this soup?
This green soup was one of the first recipes that I posted 3 years ago when I started Savory Lotus. It’s a soup that I have been making for years, because my family loves it, and so do I. Honestly, I can’t even remember where I learned to make it. Even now, years later, it is part of my regular meal plan rotation. My kids ask me regularly to make it.
The reason that I love this soup is that it is made from some of my favorite foods on earth: homemade bone broth, kale, and sweet potatoes. Not only is it super delicious, it also packs a total power punch when it comes to nutrient-density.
Updating the photos on this recipe has seriously been on my to-do list for a long time. But you know how life goes. So when I made the soup again this week, I decided to snap a few new pictures. I have to admit, making green soup look pretty is not easy. But dang, it sure is tasty.
Well….. the secret to any soup is, of course, a good quality broth. So be sure to use a good quality homemade broth to get a good base for your soup. This soup is the perfect marriage of earthy greens and the sweetness of sweet potatoes. Fragrant herbs, garlic, and perfectly cooked onions add to the flavor. And the lemon juice at the end gives it a slight tanginess. I like to serve it plain or you can add a bit of homemade creme fraiche or coconut cream.
The Ultimate Green Soup Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp ghee, butter, or coconut oil
- 2 large yams (or 3 medium), peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 bunch kale, washed and chopped (tough stems removed)
- 1 bunch chard OR spinach, washed and chopped (tough stems removed)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ TBS fresh thyme (or ⅛ tsp dried)
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 4 cups good quality homemade broth (chicken, beef, or veggie)
- juice from one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- In small skillet, saute onion in fat of choice until translucent and starting to brown. Set aside
- Place yams into large pot with 3 cups of filtered water. Bring to boil, turn down heat, and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes
- Put chopped greens, garlic, spices, and salt into pot with yams.
- Pour stock in and stir.
- Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes on low-medium heat
- Let cool slightly, then add cooked onions and use immersion blender to puree smooth OR puree in small batches with a blender
- Add lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste
11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.