Waste not, want not! Make rich, delicious vegetable broth with scraps from your kitchen. It’s so easy!
Hey, hey! New year, new health goals. And one of my goals this year is to consume less and to conserve more. If you are anything like me, you probably spend a ridiculous amount of money on food. Am I right?
I’ve been making a point to waste as little as possible, especially when it comes to my precious, expensive food. One of the things I’ve been doing is making crazy good vegetable broth from little vegetable scraps. You guys know that I’m a big fan of bone broth, but did you know that a good vegetable broth is a powerhouse of minerals as well? You can do so much with a cozy, warm, flavorful vegetable broth. I use it as a base for soups, stews, and sauces.
And all you need is some scraps from the kitchen. It’s so easy and cheap to make. Just throw your vegetable scrapes into a bag in the freezer until you have enough for a batch of broth. Then freeze broth in small portions for making the best soups and sauces EVER! No more buying broth at the grocery store.
There are no rules to what you can or cannot use. I basically use it all. I know that people say not to use cruciferous veggies (like cauliflower, broccoli, and kale), but I throw in little bits all of the time, and my broth tastes amazing. Of course, I balance it out with lots of sweeter vegetables like carrots and sweet potato scrapes for a nice flavor.
NOTE: Be sure to use only clean vegetables and scrapes. Dirty, gritty broth is no good. And please use your common sense. If it’s moldy, you probably don’t want it in your broth.
WHAT I USE IN MY VEGETABLE BROTH:
- any veggies that may have gotten a bit sad and wilty in the fridge
- carrot peels and small ends
- sweet potato peels and small ends
- celery ends and leaves
- onion and shallot skins
- green onion or leek ends
- mushroom stems
- small amounts of broccoli stems or kale stems
- slightly wilted greens from fridge
- any other fun vegetable scrapes I may have
The possibilities are endless. And your broth will taste different every time depending on what you put in it. I like to mix it up and add some extras for flavor and to boost nutrients. The recipe below is just a place to start. Feel free to experiment.
THINGS I ADD FOR FLAVOR AND NUTRITIONAL VALUE:
- fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, rosemary, cilantro)- loaded with vitamins and minerals
- garlic – anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial
- ginger -anti-inflammatory and immune boosting
- bay leaf
- shiitake mushrooms – rich flavor, immune boosting, and loaded with vitamins and minerals
- turmeric powder – anti-inflammatory
HOW TO STORE VEGETABLE BROTH:
- Be sure to use clean, glass containers.
- Vegetable broth is good for up to a week in the fridge.
- Freeze in thick glass containers. I like to store in smaller portions (about 2-3 cups) to use as needed. I use THIS and THIS. Be sure to leave room for expansion so as not to crack the glass.
- Freeze in large silicone ice cube trays and store in large freezer bags. I have THESE and THESE.
Here’s to a healthy, happy, and less wasteful New Year. Big love to you all!
HOW TO MAKE VEGETABLE BROTH FROM KITCHEN SCRAPS
- 1 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 ribs of celery, roughly chopped
- ½ onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cups of vegetable scrapes
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- one inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- a few sprigs of thyme or rosemary
- a handful of parsley or cilantro
- salt to taste
- 12-14 cups of clean water (I use about 3 and ½ quarts)
- Place everything in a large stock pot. Add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer (covered) for 1 hour.
- Turn off heat. Using tongs or slotted spoon, remove solids. Then strain through a mesh sieve.
- Store in airtight jar for up to a week. Or freeze in small portions for use later.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.