With summer just around the corner and warm weather on the rise one of the most annoying insects is starting to emerge.. the mosquito. While we can’t stop them from coming we can make sure that we are protecting ourselves from getting bit. That is when most people are turning to bug spray.
The Issue with Regular Bug Spray
The main problem with bug spray is that it is actually made out of DEET. DEET is one of the most common ingredients in bug spray and has actually been linked with neurological issues.
One of the most widely used ingredients in store-bought conventional bug sprays for personal use is N,N-Diethyl-m-toluamide, or DEET, as it’s commonly known. DEET, which is designed to repel, rather than kill, insects. DEET is used by an estimated one-third of the US population each year.
Although DEET is approved by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), it is a known eye irritant and can cause rashes, soreness, or blistering when applied to the skin. Additionally, DEET has been linked to neurological problems; according to the EPA, at least 18 different cases of children suffering adverse neurological effects, as well as the deaths of two adults, have been associated with DEET. Researchers at Duke University Medical Center have found that DEET causes diffuse brain cell death and behavioral changes in rats.
DEET has been shown to have a negative impact on wildlife and water sources in production and during use. DEET is toxic to birds and aquatic life. DEET has been found in approximately 75 percent of U.S. water sources, including the Mississippi River.
-Green Your Body
I don’t want to contribute to environmental issues or cause permanent neurological issues in myself or my family so I have instead decided to turn to a more natural source for my insect repellant, namely essential oils.
Making insect repellant out of some essential oils only takes a few minuets and you will feel a lot better about your toxic free environment.
If You’re NOT into DIY, Here are 3 Great Natural Insect Repellent Options You Can Buy…
Now if making things with herbs or essential oils isn’t really your thing then there are some natural repellent brands that you can pick up. They are good because they are safe for children and also great for people with sensitive skin.
Here are 3 of our favorites:
Insect Repellant From Fresh or Dried Herbs
First, I am going to go over how to make it at home with herbs from your own garden then I will go over some stronger recipes and the essential oil repellent recipe.
- 1 cup of Distilled water
- 1 cup of Rubbing alcohol or Witch hazel
- 3-4 TBSP Dried herbs: Get at least one herb from the mint family for best results. Try lavender, catnip, citronella, lemongrass, peppermint, catnip or spearmint.
Fresh or Dried Herb Instructions
- Boil 1 cup of the distilled water and then add 3-4 TBSP of fresh or dried herbs. You can use any combination you like from the list above and even add in some dried cloves. One example combination is 1TBSP of spearmint, catnip, lavender and peppermint.
- Next, mix it all up, cover the pot and allow the whole mixture to cool. Covering the pot is very important for keeping the volatile oils inside the mixture.
- Using a strainer take the herbs out and keep the fluid. You will then mix 1 cup of rubbing alcohol or witch hazel with it.
- Pour the liquid into a glass spray bottle and then let it sit in a cool place such as the fridge.
- Spray on skin whenever you need to use it.
BONUS TIP: If you want to make the insect repellant really strong then make them into a tincture.
Essential Oil Bug Spray Blend
It may be wise to research each of the essential oils that you want to use in your recipe to make sure they are safe to go on your skin as well as on your children. If they are not safe then spray this mixture onto clothing, backpacks, and other gear to keep the bugs away.
Bug Spray Ingredients
- Essential oils: Just like the recipe above I recommend grabbing from the mint family first and then adding some preferred flavors into the blend such as tea tree, rosemary, catnip, mint, lavender, clove, citronella, cajeput, cedar, or eucalyptus.
- Witch Hazel
- Distilled or boiled Water
- Vegetable glycerin (optional)
Essential Oil Bug Spray Instructions
- Fill up a glass spray bottle 1/2 of the way with distilled or boiled water
- Then add witch hazel until it is almost full leaving some room at the top
- Add in 1/2 tsp of vegetable glycerin (optional)
- Then Add in 30-50 drops of your chosen essential oils. As you can imagine the more drops of the oils that you use the strong smelling they will be. This also will help keep the bugs away better. One example recipe is Rosemary, Clove, Cajeput, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, and Lavender.
Other Bug Repelling Ideas
Before I dive into one of the strongest recipes to keep away the bugs I want to go other a few other ideas that may help keep the bugs away.
- Go to a local health food store or get online and try some of their non-toxic, DEET-free, and plastic free bands. This is something you and your kids can wear on your wrist instead of spray onto your body.
- If you don’t have essential oils and need protection now then grab some vanilla extract from your kitchen then mix it with some water and witch hazel to make a quick spray.
- There are tons of plants that you can put in your yard which will naturally keep the mosquitos away such as lemongrass and catnip!
- Rub herbs directly on your skin. If you don’t want to make herbs into oils and have the leaves of the plants laying around you can always just grab the plants we listed above and rub them onto your skin for protection.
Four Thieves Insect Repellent
This recipe does not smell good but it works really well. If you are going to be in the deep woods, swamp, or place where you are worried about ticks then this may be the recipe for you.
According to legend, this recipe is based on the one used by thieves who were looting during the Black Plague in order to keep themselves from getting sick. Essentially it kept pesky bugs who spread the disease away from those who wore it.
Vinegar of the Four Thieves Repellent Ingredients
- 1 32 ounce bottle of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 TBSP each of dried Lavender, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme and Mint
- At least 1-quart size glass jar with an airtight lid (you will really want this)
- Place the vinegar and herbs together into the large glass jar.
- Seal the lid tightly and then store it on the counter or in a place where you will see it daily. This way you can easily remember to shake up the mixture 2 or 3 times a day.
- Mark your calendar for 2-3 weeks. After the time has passed strain out the herbs and store the liquid in a glass spray bottle or some tincture bottles, in a cool place such as in your fridge.
- When you are ready to use it make sure you dilute half of it in water and then spray it on your skin.
Special Note: This mixture can do a lot more for you then just keep away the bugs. This special blend of herbs has a powerful antibacterial and antiviral property which is really good as a homemade tincture for fighting off illness. Just take 1 TBSP of the mixture in a glass of water several times a day if you are an adult and 1tsp in water several times a day for children over 2.
11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.