With summer just around the corner and warm weather on the rise one of the most annoying insects is starting to emerge.. the mosquito. While we can’t stop them from coming we can make sure that we are protecting ourselves from getting bit. That is when most people are turning to bug spray.
The Issue with Regular Bug Spray
The main problem with bug spray is that it is actually made out of DEET. DEET is one of the most common ingredients in bug spray and has actually been linked with neurological issues.
One of the most widely used ingredients in store-bought conventional bug sprays for personal use is N,N-Diethyl-m-toluamide, or DEET, as it’s commonly known. DEET, which is designed to repel, rather than kill, insects. DEET is used by an estimated one-third of the US population each year.
Although DEET is approved by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), it is a known eye irritant and can cause rashes, soreness, or blistering when applied to the skin. Additionally, DEET has been linked to neurological problems; according to the EPA, at least 18 different cases of children suffering adverse neurological effects, as well as the deaths of two adults, have been associated with DEET. Researchers at Duke University Medical Center have found that DEET causes diffuse brain cell death and behavioral changes in rats.
DEET has been shown to have a negative impact on wildlife and water sources in production and during use. DEET is toxic to birds and aquatic life. DEET has been found in approximately 75 percent of U.S. water sources, including the Mississippi River.
-Green Your Body
I don’t want to contribute to environmental issues or cause permanent neurological issues in myself or my family so I have instead decided to turn to a more natural source for my insect repellant, namely essential oils.
Making insect repellant out of some essential oils only takes a few minuets and you will feel a lot better about your toxic free environment.
If You’re NOT into DIY, Here are 3 Great Natural Insect Repellent Options You Can Buy…
Now if making things with herbs or essential oils isn’t really your thing then there are some natural repellent brands that you can pick up. They are good because they are safe for children and also great for people with sensitive skin.
Here are 3 of our favorites:
Insect Repellant From Fresh or Dried Herbs
First, I am going to go over how to make it at home with herbs from your own garden then I will go over some stronger recipes and the essential oil repellent recipe.
- 1 cup of Distilled water
- 1 cup of Rubbing alcohol or Witch hazel
- 3-4 TBSP Dried herbs: Get at least one herb from the mint family for best results. Try lavender, catnip, citronella, lemongrass, peppermint, catnip or spearmint.
Fresh or Dried Herb Instructions
- Boil 1 cup of the distilled water and then add 3-4 TBSP of fresh or dried herbs. You can use any combination you like from the list above and even add in some dried cloves. One example combination is 1TBSP of spearmint, catnip, lavender and peppermint.
- Next, mix it all up, cover the pot and allow the whole mixture to cool. Covering the pot is very important for keeping the volatile oils inside the mixture.
- Using a strainer take the herbs out and keep the fluid. You will then mix 1 cup of rubbing alcohol or witch hazel with it.
- Pour the liquid into a glass spray bottle and then let it sit in a cool place such as the fridge.
- Spray on skin whenever you need to use it.
BONUS TIP: If you want to make the insect repellant really strong then make them into a tincture.
Essential Oil Bug Spray Blend
It may be wise to research each of the essential oils that you want to use in your recipe to make sure they are safe to go on your skin as well as on your children. If they are not safe then spray this mixture onto clothing, backpacks, and other gear to keep the bugs away.
Bug Spray Ingredients
- Essential oils: Just like the recipe above I recommend grabbing from the mint family first and then adding some preferred flavors into the blend such as tea tree, rosemary, catnip, mint, lavender, clove, citronella, cajeput, cedar, or eucalyptus.
- Witch Hazel
- Distilled or boiled Water
- Vegetable glycerin (optional)
Essential Oil Bug Spray Instructions
- Fill up a glass spray bottle 1/2 of the way with distilled or boiled water
- Then add witch hazel until it is almost full leaving some room at the top
- Add in 1/2 tsp of vegetable glycerin (optional)
- Then Add in 30-50 drops of your chosen essential oils. As you can imagine the more drops of the oils that you use the strong smelling they will be. This also will help keep the bugs away better. One example recipe is Rosemary, Clove, Cajeput, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, and Lavender.
Other Bug Repelling Ideas
Before I dive into one of the strongest recipes to keep away the bugs I want to go other a few other ideas that may help keep the bugs away.
- Go to a local health food store or get online and try some of their non-toxic, DEET-free, and plastic free bands. This is something you and your kids can wear on your wrist instead of spray onto your body.
- If you don’t have essential oils and need protection now then grab some vanilla extract from your kitchen then mix it with some water and witch hazel to make a quick spray.
- There are tons of plants that you can put in your yard which will naturally keep the mosquitos away such as lemongrass and catnip!
- Rub herbs directly on your skin. If you don’t want to make herbs into oils and have the leaves of the plants laying around you can always just grab the plants we listed above and rub them onto your skin for protection.
Four Thieves Insect Repellent
This recipe does not smell good but it works really well. If you are going to be in the deep woods, swamp, or place where you are worried about ticks then this may be the recipe for you.
According to legend, this recipe is based on the one used by thieves who were looting during the Black Plague in order to keep themselves from getting sick. Essentially it kept pesky bugs who spread the disease away from those who wore it.
Vinegar of the Four Thieves Repellent Ingredients
- 1 32 ounce bottle of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 TBSP each of dried Lavender, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme and Mint
- At least 1-quart size glass jar with an airtight lid (you will really want this)
- Place the vinegar and herbs together into the large glass jar.
- Seal the lid tightly and then store it on the counter or in a place where you will see it daily. This way you can easily remember to shake up the mixture 2 or 3 times a day.
- Mark your calendar for 2-3 weeks. After the time has passed strain out the herbs and store the liquid in a glass spray bottle or some tincture bottles, in a cool place such as in your fridge.
- When you are ready to use it make sure you dilute half of it in water and then spray it on your skin.
Special Note: This mixture can do a lot more for you then just keep away the bugs. This special blend of herbs has a powerful antibacterial and antiviral property which is really good as a homemade tincture for fighting off illness. Just take 1 TBSP of the mixture in a glass of water several times a day if you are an adult and 1tsp in water several times a day for children over 2.
A quick note from our founder-
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That's right -- as a special launch promotion, we're offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) -- All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Help us create more awareness! Please SHARE this article...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat.
This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
P.S. Make sure you check out the next page to get to know the 10 simple moves that will bring vitality back into your life!
To begin, I apologize for the dark nature of today's email.
However I promise what you'll discover today will be completely worth it.
Imagine a rotting corpse draped over your body from head to toe...
...suffocating tissue, restricting blood flow, damaging joints and infecting your healthy cells.
Shockingly, that nightmare is a reality for most:
64% of women and 74% of men carry too much body fat according to the National Institutes of Health.
It's choking their organs, assaulting their metabolism and sucking their energy dry.
But here's the worst part:
For most, this bodyfat has become "calorie-resistant":
It's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
This zombie fat is essentially... "dead tissue".
That's important for those who have 10, 25 or 50 or more pounds to lose...
AND for those who aren't technically overweight, but have what's called "pocket obesity"...
...unsightly patches of fat that cling to specific places, like:
just above your hips, lower belly, where your butt and legs meet... and even arms, neck and face.
However, there's good news:
Obesity researchers have now discovered a "metabolic jumper cable":
It jolts dead bodyfat back to life.
This allows your metabolism to burn it as calories and re-energize your entire body.
First though, here's the #1 reason why bodyfat becomes calorie-resistant:
It lacks blood flow. This has 3 effects:
- Not enough oxygen or nutrients reach fat cells, so they become unresponsive..
- Released fat can't be sent to other tissues to be burned, so fat cells suck it back in...
- 3) Metabolic hormones carrying the "burn calories" message don't reach the fat cell...
All this means one thing:
Your body can't transform into energy, the 135,000+ of calories the average person stores as fat!
You become a metabolic zombie: NO energy to think. NO energy to move. NO energy to motivate.
Update: calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
The discovery of this "metabolic jumper cable" can now reverse this process:
- It wakes up un-responsive bodyfat with a powerful calorie-burning hormonal jolt....
- It pops open fat cells, sucks out the fat, sending it off before its yanked back in...
- It shuttles fat to your brain, heart, lungs, kidneys - even your bones - to be burned as energy.
Not only do those layers of "zombie fat" start coming off, but your entire body just works better.
Plus, as your whole body burns more calories, those patches of pocket obesity whittle away.
This "metabolic jumper cable" isn't any exercise, machine or pill.
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive.
It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know.
And on this next page, you'll find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
PS - Studies show that not only can healthy levels of this powerful calorie-burning hormone devour bodyfat and fortify soft muscle, but it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video. He's going to be the talk of 2016.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
Is Bread Really the Staff of Life… or the Stuff of Disease?
For most us, there are few foods more comforting than bread.
Fluffy biscuits, crusty baguettes, flaky croissants… even a simple slice of toast topped with melted butter can taste like heaven.
And that smell… few scents are quite as pleasant as fresh bread baking in the oven.
But there is a lot of confusion as to where bread fits into a healthy diet.
The Bible practically commands followers to eat it: “Give us this day our daily bread…” The government put it at the base of the food pyramid. And for centuries, it has been called “the staff of life.”
Of course, there are some who disagree…
Well-known cardiologist, Dr. William Davis, calls wheat “the perfect chronic poison.”
And for a poison, we sure eat lots of it…
The average American consumes 55 pounds of wheat flour every year, making refined flour the #1 source of calories in the American Diet – a situation that nutrition expert Chris Kresser describes as, “a public health catastrophe.”
So, what is the truth about bread and wheat?
- Is it the perfect poison… or an essential daily food?
- Is “gluten-free” bread better for you than regular bread?
- And can you still eat bread… while maintaining a lean body and optimal health?
The answers to these questions may surprise you!
Be sure to read #5 – the biggest surprise of all!
Recently, Doctor of Naturopathy, weight-loss expert and best-selling Amazon author Liz Swann Miller, creator of the Red Smoothie Detox Factor, revealed 2 of the secrets to easy, steady weight loss. Secrets the big food corporations do their best to hide from us.
Secret #1: Enjoy real food. Don’t fall for the lie that you have to deprive yourself to lose weight.
Secret #2: stop eating out. You will automatically eat less without even noticing.
Then start detoxing your body with tasty, nourishing smoothies that are just as easy on your wallet as they are easy to make.
Because a single day of enjoying Liz’ smoothies demonstrated the radical power of her superfood-packed red smoothies to make me feel incredibly good.
Now prepare yourself for one of the biggest weight loss secrets there is. A secret that, when you use it properly, can transform your body and your health.
You probably know most of us eat too much processed food. What you may not know is that it’s full of toxic chemicals and substandard, dirt-cheap ingredients designed to make you eat more…and force you to gain weight.
Here’s how it works.
“That stuff is just a lot of calories your body can’t use,” Liz told me, “Some are poison. And all these foods are stripped of the anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that help your body detox. The result? Your body expends huge amounts of calories to eliminate some toxins—the rest, it stores in your fat to protect you. This is why most people are hungry all the time. They’re not getting energy they need.”
“So… what’s going on with me? Why am I losing weight but not going hungry?”
Liz paused, then dropped the bombshell.
Your body is designed to burn fat. You just have to let it.
“What? I thought we were designed to store fat?!?” We were Skyping and I was practically shouting. Then I heard Liz say…
What good is a fat reserve if you can’t burn it?
Liz continued: “You’re drinking smoothies packed with phytonutrients, anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that pull toxins out of you like a tractor beam. Allowing your body to burn those toxin-filled fat stores… and releasing tremendous amounts of stored energy.”
So that’s why I’m losing weight without going hungry.
Watch Liz’ free presentation. It’s packed with revolutionary weight loss information—information that works. Because it’s based on how nature.
Click the button only if you want to wear smaller clothes, breathe easier, move more freely and just plain feel better.
- Which calories help you lose weight…and which ones help you gain it…
- The “diet” foods…some of them vegetables…that lead to weight gain and diabetes…
- The “low-fat” foods that can dramatically increase your risk of cancer.
- And the superfoods that rescue your body from this assault by detoxing you…
Revitalizing your metabolism so you can Shed pounds as well as toxins, renew your body and reset your internal clock by up to 7 years.
Because until now, the Red Smoothie Detox Factor has been available only to Liz’ private clients. But now that she’s perfected it to work for almost everyone, almost every time, Liz is sharing it with rest of us so we can feel better and look better.
Get Red Smoothie Detox Factor before the price goes back up.
Because Liz offers a ridiculously good guarantee. You have 60 days to decide you love the Red Smoothie Detox Factor. If you don’t love it—for any reason, or even no reason at all —Liz will refund your money. 100%. No questions asked.
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.