Like many people, I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night feeling queasy for no apparent reason. I hate getting up in the night and fumbling down the stairs to the kitchen to look for a preservative and sodium packed solution (looking at you, Saltine crackers). So when I stumbled upon this recipe for all natural Ginger Chews, I was over the moon with the healthy, vegan recipe and it’s great results.
Ginger has been used for centuries for it’s medicinal powers and full, spicy flavor. It’s common to find in many East Asian and Indian dishes, and is grown primarily in Fiji, Jamaica, Indonesia, Australia and India. It can be consumed in many forms (raw, powdered, juice, etc.) but these ginger chews, sometimes known as gin gins, will satisfy your stomach AND your taste buds.
5 Reasons You Should Really Eat More Ginger
- You’re nauseous. Ginger is great for settling a turbulent stomach, and has been used as a long-time treatment for nausea in cases of sea sickness, morning sickness, or even for chemo patients. You may have been told before that Ginger Ale can help settle a stomach due to it’s nausea-relieving ginger base. For less added sugars and chemicals, I recommend ditching the ginger soda for these tasty chews.
- You’re in pain. Not only will ginger settle an upset stomach, it can go a long way towards relieving body aches and pains. According to Medical News Today,”A study involving 74 volunteers carried out at the University of Georgia found that daily ginger supplementation reduced exercise-induced muscle pain by 25%.Ginger has also been found to reduce the symptoms of dysmenorrhea (severe pain during a menstrual cycle). In one study, 83% of women taking ginger capsules reported improvements in pain symptoms compared to 47% of those on placebo.”
- You have inflammation. Ginger is great to use as a natural anti-inflammatory as well. One study showed that daily ginger supplements took only 30 days to reduce inflammation in the colon. This is awesome news, because it decreases the risk for colon cancer, a deadly and often hard to catch disease.
- You’re struggling with digestion. The ginger root is a good natural digestive aid as well. Thanks to the phenolic compounds in ginger, you can find relief from dry mouth, insufficient bile fluid, painful gastric contractions, and an irritated gastrointestinal system.
- You want to fight cancer cells. Those phenolic compounds in ginger root have amazing cancer-fighting properties. While you may be growing skeptical of the narrative that every vegetable has “cancer-fighting properties,” it really rings true for ginger. In fact, this Chinese study proves the positive, significant relationship between the presence of phenolic compounds and resulting antioxidants. Ginger root will help cleanse your body and keep it strong to fight off toxic cancer cells.
The Ginger Chew Recipe
The best part about these ginger chews is that they’re portable and perfect for sneaking into your pocket before heading out to sea, your flight, or your big presentation at work (I can’t be the only one who gets nauseous because of that stuff). Save yourself the regret later and try whipping up some of these ginger chews this week to absorb some cancer-fighting antioxidants and do away with your nausea for good.
10 Soft Medjool Dates
1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 Tsp Fine Sea Salt
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1 Tbsp Natural Pure Almond Butter
5 Drops Liquid Stevia
1/2 cup Honey
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
3 Tbsp Fresh Grated Ginger
6-12 drops organic ginger essential oil
1 Tbsp Powdered Coconut Sugar (Optional)
- Place all ingredients into your food processor and blend until smooth stopping to scrape down the sides. Keep blending and scraping until the mixture is smooth and dough-like.
- Line a bowl with saran wrap and scrape ginger chew dough into it.
- Place in the freezer or refrigerator for 1-3 hours.
- Remove ginger chew dough from the refrigerator and roll into preferred shape.
- Place into parchment or saran wrap lined sealed tight container.
- Keep ginger chews in the freezer until ready to enjoy as there are no preservatives in this recipe and this keeps the chews firm.
- Enjoy your sweet ginger fix (and some health benefits too)!