Zucchini is not only my favorite summer squash for creating hearty seasonal dishes, but is also packed full of nutrients that leave my skin glowing, my immune system strong, and my stomach satisfied!
My mom introduced me to substituting zucchini for more calorie-rich foods in all kinds of recipes, from vegan street tacos to zucchini-noodle lasagna. I fell in love with it’s heartiness that makes it a great substitute for meat, and have been reaping the amazing health benefits ever since.
Health Benefits of Zucchini
If I wrote a love letter to zucchini detailing all of the incredible things it does for your body, I wouldn’t have time to make these delicious fritters for my sister’s potluck. So, to save us both some time, I’ve included some information from the zucchini experts themselves over at Organic Facts.
According to Organic Facts,
“Zucchini is well known to reduce weight, yet still boost the nutrient value of your diet. Moreover, it helps to promote eye health, and prevents all the diseases that occur from vitamin C deficiency . . . The vitamin C, folate and beta-carotene content in zucchini helps to protect cells from the harmful chemicals that can lead to colon cancer. Beta-carotene and vitamin C also have anti-inflammatory properties, thereby naturally curing ailments like osteoarthritis, asthma, and rheumatoid arthritis”
In addition to fighting cancer, asthma, and arthritis, the beta-carotene found in zucchini is also a pre-cursor to Vitamin A that will keep your skin hydrated and luminous all summer long!
10 Surprising Zucchini Nutrition Facts (video)
1. Lose weight with zucchini: Zucchini as a matter of fact is known to promote weight loss. It is low in calories and makes you feel full for a longer period of time. So do try munching onto this delicious summer squash and watch yourself lose those extra pounds.
2. Shields you from diseases: Did you know that zucchini helps you keep many diseases at bay? Eating this vegetable on a regular basis keeps you strong and healthy. Zucchini is rich in fibre; Vitamin-C and beta-carotene to name a few that shield the cells from any damage that can lead to colon cancer.
3. Cardiovascular health: Zucchini is rich in magnesium that protects the heart and further reduces the risk of getting a heart attack.
4. Antioxidants: Zucchini is filled with anti-oxidants that flush out all the unwanted toxins from the body. You can free your body from bad cholesterol by including this vegetable into your diet more frequently.
5. Controls Diabetes: Zucchini again is a good source of vitamin-B that balances the sugar levels in the body. Anyone who has type-2 diabetes should try consuming zucchini because it works very well in controlling on such patients.
6. Healthy eyes: Have you ever thought how zucchini can promote healthy eyes? It is rich in vitamin-A which is very beneficial for the eyes. It increases the vision by strengthening the cells.
7. Anti-aging properties: Zucchini is full of vitamin-A and Vitamin-C that help in improving the elasticity of the skin. Fine lines and wrinkles are surely a big no for many of us. So go ahead and try this juicy vegetable and hide the signs of aging!
8. Luscious hair: Zucchini promotes hair growth due to the fact that it is rich in Vitamin-A. It also protects the hair from damage on account of free radicals.
9. Prevents Gout: Zucchini can help in reducing inflammation in the joints caused by excessive levels of uric acid in the body. It is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that indirectly treat gout effectively.
10. Strong teeth and bones: Zucchini is a good source of vitamin–C that goes a long way in keeping the bones strong and healthy. If you are suffering from low calcium levels, start munching on some zucchini!
RECIPE: Mouth-Watering, Cancer-Fighting, Zesty Zucchini Fritters
These crunchy, zesty fritters are the perfect way to satisfy carnivores and vegans alike at your next summer potluck.
This easy, 5-step recipe is a great way to sneak in a healthy appetizer, and best of all, zucchini is in season right now!
PS- You can find fresh, GMO-free zucchini at your local farmer’s market. Remember to pick the darkest ones, they contain the most nutrients.
1 large zucchini or 2 small
1 clove of garlic peeled and minced
¼ Cup fresh basil
¼ cup fresh oregano
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 organic eggs (or flax egg)
¼ cup gluten free flour
¼ teaspoon Onion powder or to taste
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
¼ teaspoon of pepper or to taste
Avocado dip base
½ cup finely chopped dill
1. Grate. Using the large holes of a box grater, grate zucchini.
2. Toss. Place zucchini in a colander set in the sink and toss with 1/2 teaspoons salt.
3. Dry. Let stand 10 minutes, and then wring zucchini dry in a clean kitchen towel to remove moisture.
4. Batter. Place zucchini in a large bowl and gently mix in egg, garlic, basil, oregano, lemon zest, onion powder, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine. Slowly add flour, stirring so no lumps form.
5. Fry. Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until the oil sizzles when you drop a small amount of zucchini mixture into the pan. Carefully drop about 2 tablespoons zucchini mixture into pan; repeat, spacing fritters a few inches apart. Cook fritters until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium. Turn fritters, and continue cooking until golden, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer fritters to a plate; set aside in a warm place. Cook remaining zucchini mixture, adding more oil to pan if necessary.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.