It’s easy to assume that anyone on a vegan, plant-based diet is healthier than everyone else. But that’s not always the case, said holistic cardiologist Dr. Joel Kahn. Dr. Kahn warned against foods that cover their lack of nutritional value with labels that say “vegan” or”plant-based”, saying that vegans can easily get duped into a poor diet because of this. He also said that some vegans tend to ignore the need for supplements, writing: “Most of the adults I see in the clinic, whether their diet is vegan or otherwise, lack important nutrients that show up on the advanced testing I perform.”
6 important supplements
To help, Kahn named the six most important supplements to enhance a plant-based diet. These include:
- Vitamin B12 – Kahn said that an estimated 50 percent of vegans and 10 percent of vegetarians lack this vitamin, which is crucial to keeping the brain, nerves, and blood healthy. The doctor recommends taking 2,500 micrograms once a week, or 250 micrograms daily.
- Vitamin D – This vitamin, said Kahn, keeps bones healthy and is “essential” in controlling blood pressure and blood glucose. It is also important in heart function and brain health. Kahn said that enough vitamin D can be taken through 20 to 30 minutes of direct sun exposure. However, taking 800 to 2,000 IU of Vitamin D3 in particular might be necessary for many vegans.
- Omega-3s – Good for the brain and the heart, Kahn recommends supplementing with a combination of DHA and EPA fatty acids at 250 mg each daily. He also recommends adding ALA-rich whole foods such as flaxseeds and chia seeds, while limiting omega-6 rich foods which may lead to inflammation.
- L-carnitine – Because this is mainly found in meat, vegans typically have lower levels of this amino acid, which is instrumental in the process of energy production in the heart. The doctor recommends taking 500 mg daily, especially for athletes and those with heart disease.
- Taurine – This amino acid is vital for the cardiac immune system as well as insulin action and electrolyte balance, and is usually found in meat or seafood. Taking 500 mgs a day is recommended.
- Vitamin K2 – This vitamin is responsible for getting calcium to the bones, and can be taken as 50 to 100 microgram supplements daily.
Benefits of going vegan
While many people capitalize on the vegan label to market otherwise unhealthy items, going vegan is still one of the best things you can do for your body. An article on Express.co.uk explored the health benefits of what has been a trend among celebrities for the past few years. Here are some of the ways listed in the article that veganism can be beneficial to you:
- Weight loss – Cutting out animal products also means you are also cutting out the saturated fat that comes with meat and dairy, making it easy to maintain a healthy weight.
- More nutritious – With the right supplements, a vegan diet makes meeting your nutritional needs effortless.
- Lower risk for diseases – Research shows that those who don’t eat meat have lower levels of cholesterol and blood pressure, as well as lower risk for heart disease and diabetes.
- Lowers cancer risk – As vegans, everything in your diet will be fruits and vegetables — which are known to be high in cancer-fighting antioxidants.
- Arthritis relief – Going dairy-free — a cornerstone in vegan diets — is a common remedy to relieve arthritis.
- More energy – A higher carbohydrate consumption and less unhealthy fat can lead to a boost in energy levels. Not to mention, meat requires more energy to digest, so those who don’t eat it have that much more energy.
- Longer life – According to the article, studies show that those on a plant-based diet live longer lives on average, presenting a three to six year advantage over those who eat meat.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.