So, if you plan on growing the best fruits and vegetables, organically of course, then you ought to take the time to learn how to ensure your soil is organic and healthy so it will provide you and your family with the very best bounty possible.
There are a number of ways to ensure that your soil is organically sound and healthy, as noted by Jared R. McKinley, a gardening expert and guest commentator on the website of Dr. Andrew Weil, a noted naturopathic physician.
“A successful organic garden is a play directed by a gardener using seeds, soil, water, weather, and knowledge to produce a bounty. Feeding the plants is only part of the production. For true sustainability and maximum flavor and nutrition, the gardener’s aim should be building a healthy soil ecosystem in which plants play a symbiotic role,” McKinley writes.
In no particular order, they are:
- Do no harm: One of the surest ways to ruin your soil or, at least taint it, is through the use of chemicals. Commercial pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers do far more harm than good, and over the long run are detrimental to your crops. Plus, you can’t grow organically unless, well, you grow organically, and so McKinley recommends the use of synthetic, natural pesticides and feeds that accomplish their purpose without killing all of the good organisms and encouraging more pathogenic activity in your garden.
- Your soil is hungry: Feeding the soil with the proper “food,” so to speak, is vital to maximize your yields (and keep contaminants out). To do this, you need to introduce materials into the dirt that allow the good bacteria and fungus to grow and thrive, because that will, in turn, be good for your fruits and veggies. What to add? Generally speaking, not fresh manure because it will burn plants. You should stick to kelp, fish emulsion and manure like bat guano, aged livestock manure and so forth.
- Keep plants healthy: This may seem rather obvious, but maintaining healthy plants is not automatic. That said, the healthier your plants are, the more able they’ll be to withstand disease, bad bacteria and other ravages. There are clean methods of dealing with plant pathogens, and they include a number of organic, safe soaps, herbal remedies, oils and other compounds that kill or destroy unwanted pests. Another method is to introduce helpful insects into your garden like praying mantises, ladybugs, lacewings and others that do the work of keeping out critters for you.
- Compost it: You need to start a compost pile. Begin with a layer of brown materials several inches thick including leaves, straw or cornstalks (or all of those items), followed by several inches of green stuff like lettuce, vegetables, fruits and other tossed foods. Continue that process of laying brown then green stuff while throwing in some soil until the pile is about three feet high (designating an area for a compost pile – like building a compost area – is a great idea. “If done right,” says McKinley, “a good compost pile can be a great medium for hosting lots of beneficial microbes.” He recommends trying worm composting as well, which is sometimes referred to as vermiculture. “Worm castings are among the greatest foods for plants and soil,” he writes.
- Compost tea, anyone: Much goes into making compost tea but you can also buy a simple home kit that is not too expensive so that you can make your own. And McKinley says there are suspended compost teas that you can order and have delivered to your front door.
- Educate yourself: When you take the time to learn all you can about the kind of fruits, vegetables, herbs and other food plants you’re trying to grow, you’ll find that the knowledge will lead to better results and far better yields. Whether you’re growing food to save money, to can and store for an emergency, or just because you want fresher, organic food in your diet, you’ll want to get the most out of your efforts. You’ll also discover what does – and does not – grow well in your area, helping you avoid planting crops that are better suited elsewhere.
- Insects are not always bad: McKinley says using beneficial insects – and many are available for purchase – will help keep your garden from becoming a feeding ground for destructive pests. Find out what pests are most common to your area and to the crops you’re trying to grow, and order insects that are their natural predators.
- Be careful about buying “organic”: Not everything every company sells as “organic” is actually organic. Many times so-called organic compounds are laced with inorganic salts like nitrogen, sulfur and phosphorus. Know that you can make organic things like fish emulsion; whatever you don’t eat from fresh fish, toss it into a blender with some water, and presto – your own fish emulsion. As for purchasing organic gardening products, do some research into the company before buying to make sure the companies you’re using have a good reputation for delivering as promised.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.