Beets are a superfood that can be easily grown right in your own back yard. This article will walk you through the process of cultivating beets correctly so that you have an endless supply of this delicious plant.
4 Simple Steps
Take note of these steps when planting beets indoors.
- Ready the container – Beets can be grown in both pots or plastic containers that are at least 17 inches deep. Set up the containers by drilling holes in the base if none is present. Next, put something that would catch water that drains from the holes. This could be the container’s lid or a plastic sheet.
- Planting the seeds – It is important to note that beets do not thrive well in a crowded space. Beets that grow in a crowded area tend to be ill-formed; this is why space is a vital element in planting the seed. Typically, beet seeds are placed about a 1/4-inch deep in the soil at about a foot apart.
- Cultivating the plant – The seeds need a lot of sunlight to grow, so place your plant near a window or any place exposed to sunlight. Beet seeds germinate in 17 days and grow best in cooler temperatures and uniform moisture. The plant requires very little watering, at only about one inch of water per week.
- Harvesting – While beets can grow to baseball size, it is best to harvest them when they are between the sizes of a golf ball or tennis ball.
Thinking of growing them in a garden?
Take note of these tips.
- Soil – The plant requires a well-prepared, rich, moist soil. Beet seeds prefer a phosphorus-rich soil to germinate. Amend the soil with aged manure, and ensure that the soil’s temperature reaches 50 degrees Fahrenheit before planting the seeds.
- Planting – Plant the seeds at about half an inch in to the soil. Beets can also be grown in plug trays before transplanting directly into garden. Transplant pre-grown seedlings eight to 10 inches apart. There is no need to till or thin them as they will push themselves away from each other once they develop. It is ideal to plant the seeds as early crops between March and April, and as late crops between June and September.
- Caring – Beets require a lot of moisture, so water the plants when the weather is dry. This will prevent the plant from bolting. Remove weeds by hand or by using a hoe.
- Harvesting – Beets can be harvested when they are between the sizes of a golf ball or tennis ball. You may also harvest the leaves for compost or cook them like spinach. You may leave the roots sown later in the season if winters are mild.
The superfood known as the beetroot
Beetroot, more commonly known as beets, are increasingly becoming popular as a superfood for their many health benefits. Beets contain high levels of vitamins A and C, and is a rich source of iron. The root vegetable is also packed with essential minerals such as manganese, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus. Beets are also a good source of folate, thiamine, riboflavin, and pantothenic acid.
Beets have also been shown to keep certain health conditions in check. According to researchers at the Wake Forest University, drinking beetroot juice helps improve blood flow and oxygenation in certain areas of the brain affected by age. This demonstrates that beets may show potential in slowing down the progression of dementia in older patients. Beets are also contain high levels of choline. The anti-inflammatory compound is known to boost learning and memory, sleep, and muscle movement.
Beets for healthy blood pressure
A growing number of studies also show that beets help maintain a healthy blood pressure level. An Australian study finds that people who consumed beetroot juice attained significant reductions in blood pressure levels than those who did not. Another Australian study reveals that drinking beetroot juice promotes cancer remission, suggesting that the vegetable is a natural cancer fighter.
With so many health benefits, it only proves beneficial to cultivate beets.
11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.