Everyone knows that brushing your teeth and flossing regularly helps your oral health. However, you can also eat certain foods to keep your teeth and gums healthy, says Dr. Steven Lin, a dentist from Australia.
Dr. Lin also wrote The Dental Diet, and his book will be released in 2018. He also writes on a blog that features various myths about oral health. The dentist revealed, “I’m about to say something that might surprise you. Your toothpaste isn’t that important. In fact, compared to proper dental nutrition, even brushing and flossing aren’t as important.”
While his statement is shocking, it could be the reason why people who religiously follow their dentist’s advice are still at risk for tooth decay. Despite brushing and flossing, dental problems will still occur if you’re lacking some nutrients. Dr. Lin shared that the following four vitamins can help keep your teeth healthy: A, D, K2, and E. Individuals who suffer from dental issues might not be getting enough of these vitamins in their daily diet.
Keep your teeth healthy
If you aren’t getting enough vitamin A, your mouth will be unable to make enough saliva which helps eliminate harmful bacteria, says Dr. Lin. The dentist shared, “When you aren’t getting enough vitamin A, your saliva glands can’t do their job and it can contribute to pits on the surface of your enamel.” Food rich in vitamin A includes carrots, dairy products, eggs, and yellow or dark vegetables.
As for vitamin D, it is required to keep your bones and teeth strong. Dr. Lin added that the vitamin has other benefits. “There’s actually a little immune system within your teeth, called your odontoblasts, which needs vitamin D to be activated. Your odontoblasts are the cells of your teeth that produce dentin and are vital to tooth regeneration,” he commented. These foods are rich in vitamin D: fatty fish, mushrooms, and some dairy products.
Vitamin E is an antioxidant and it helps keep the levels of bacteria in your mouth under control. It also regulates the microbiome in your mouth, which is home to all sorts of bacteria, fungi, and viruses. You can get vitamin E by eating broccoli, spinach, and nuts.
Need vitamin K for calcium
If you’re not getting enough vitamin K2, your calcium supplements are useless. He explained, “Vitamin K2 is like the traffic cop for your calcium, telling it where and when to go.” Individuals with K2 deficiencies need calcium, but it goes to their kidneys and arteries instead of their teeth. Vitamin K2-rich foods include butter, eggs, salami, and soft cheeses.
Dr. Lin says that if you’re not getting enough of these four supplements, your teeth are not totally healthy. He concluded, “I can’t emphasize this enough, you must get the right nutrients, vitamins and minerals so your teeth can continue to regenerate throughout your life… Many mistakenly believe that they can prevent cavities and periodontal disease simply with good brushing habits and the right toothpaste – but this isn’t the most important factor.”
Eat these foods to improve your oral health
If you want to learn more about the other healthy foods you can eat to improve your oral health, check out the list below:
- Apples – Since this fruit has a high water content, if you eat apples you can stimulate saliva production in your mouth. The fiber in apples also stimulates the gums and is a mild astringent that can help make your teeth brighter.
- Dairy — Eating the right kind of dairy products, such as those that don’t contain antibiotics, hormones, and other chemicals, will ensure that your teeth gets the calcium it needs to stay strong. Drink raw milk and kefir and eat yogurt to boost oral health.
- Coconut – Try coconut oil pulling, a great oral detoxification process. Doing this removes toxins in your mouth and creates a cleaner environment in your mouth to prevent cavities and disease. Just swish a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth for 20 minutes. Once you’re done, spit out the oil but don’t spit in your sink (it can clog your drains) or swallow (you might re-absorb the toxins).
- Leafy greens — Rich in vitamins and minerals, leafy greens are low in calories. Eat some collard greens, kale, spinach, or Swiss chard to keep cavities away.
- Nuts — Because nuts are full of vitamins and minerals that are good for your teeth, they’re one of the healthiest snacks that you can enjoy. Chewing nuts also helps saliva production to keep your mouth cleaner.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.