After the holiday season, the first order of business this year is, ironically, getting rid of “holiday pounds.” Just in time, consumer site U.S. News & World Report has released its annual Best Diets ranking — with both the DASH diet and the Mediterranean diet tying for the best overall diet for 2018.
The DASH diet, which stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension, marks its eighth consecutive year of being named as the top overall diet. Developed by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the diet highlights fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy foods, as well as whole grains, poultry, fish, lean meats, beans, and nuts.
Interestingly, this is the first time that the Mediterranean diet has ranked as the best overall diet, tying with the DASH diet. The diet, which is low in saturated fat but high in vegetable oils, is reported to prevent certain chronic illnesses.
Why are these diets rated the best?
For a diet to be rated highly, it must be easy to follow, proven to be nutritious, effective for weight loss, and must protect against diabetes and heart disease.
This year, the Keto diet was included in the list, with experts placing it as one of the least effective diets because of its highly-restrictive carbohydrate requirement.
“Whether you’re trying to lose weight or manage a chronic disease like diabetes, the 2018 Best Diets rankings are designed to help consumers identify the right diet for their specific needs,” according to Angela Haupt, Assistant Managing Editor of Health at U.S. News. “By profiling and providing in-depth data on 40 diets, consumers can rely on U.S. News for the tools they need to feel empowered to make well-informed, personalized choices in order to maintain overall healthier lifestyles.”
For this year’s rankings, an expert panel of nutritionists, dietary consultants, and physicians convened to score 40 diets. Relevant scientific literature regarding the diets was reviewed to create an accurate profile of the diet, as well as determine its overall score.
Looking at the DASH diet: it’s literally what the doctor ordered
The DASH diet is defined as “a flexible and balanced eating plan that helps create a heart-healthy eating style for life.” This diet, a brainchild of experts from the NIH, is not a “fad diet,” but a healthy eating plan that helps with long-term lifestyle changes.
A prominent feature of the DASH diet is that it provides daily and weekly nutritional goals instead of specific food items. For people who are interested in following the DASH eating plan, here are some suggestions:
- Eat fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Add fat-free or low-fat dairy products in your diet like fish, poultry, beans, nuts, and vegetable oils.
- Cut back on saturated fat like fatty meat, full-fat dairy products, and tropical oils such as coconut, palm kernel, and palm oil.
- Avoid sugar-sweetened beverages and sweets.
The DASH diet requires 2,000 calories a day, which could be broken down into the following recommended daily eating plan:
- Grains: six to eight servings
- Meats, poultry, and fish: six servings or less
- Vegetables: four to five servings
- Fruit: four to five servings
- Low-fat or fat-free products: two to three servings
- Sodium: 2,300 milligrams or less
The following items should be eaten in moderation.
- Nuts, seeds, dry beans, and peas: four to five servings a week
- Sweets: five servings a week or less
The Mediterranean diet: the sophisticated diet that’s good for the heart
The Mediterranean diet gets its name from the region where it was observed. This was first coined by physiologist Ancel Keys after observing the dietary habits of people in Greece and southern Italy during the 1960s. A key component of this diet is the increased intake of extra virgin (cold pressed) olive oil, green leafy vegetables, fruits, cereals, and nuts. It also incorporates red wine and fish. While there is no required serving size, the Mediterranean diet is normally presented in a pyramid of dietary recommendations, like the following:
- Olive oil: every meal
- Vegetables: two servings per meal or less
- Fruits: one to two servings per meal
- Bread and cereals: one to two servings per meal
- Legumes: two servings per week or less
- Nuts: one to two servings per day
- Fish and seafood: two servings per week or less
- Eggs: two to four servings per week
- Poultry: two servings per week
- Dairy foods: two servings daily
- Red meat: less than two servings a week
- Sweets: less than two servings a week
- Red wine: In moderation and depending on social beliefs
11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.