Self-sufficiency is important for preppers. After all, when SHTF, preppers will simply bug in or bug out with the necessary gear and supplies while the rest of the populace runs around panicking.
To maintain this habit of self-reliance, most preppers cultivate various vegetables in their gardens. Some even have fruit trees on their property, ensuring that they always have a source of fresh produce all year round. (h/t to ModernSurvivalBlog.com.)
If you’re a beginner it might seem daunting to move on from vegetable plots to fruit trees, but it’s an effort that’s well-worth your time. After all, who’s going to say no to free food?
Fruit tree climates and hardiness zones
If you’re new to planting food-producing trees, here are some basics that you need to keep in mind.
You can’t just haphazardly plant any sort of fruit tree in your backyard because you need to consider the climate in the area where you live. Before you start, check the hardiness zones in your area. These range of zones will be your guide when choosing the fruit trees that can thrive in a particular location.
The climate zones are determined by the average minimum yearly low temperatures. If you’re not sure, ask around. Your neighbors could already be growing fruit trees that are well-suited to your area.
- Zone 1: Below -50 degrees F
- Zone 2: -50 degrees F to -40 degrees F
- Zone 3: -40 degrees F to -30 degrees F
- Zone 4: -30 degrees F to -20 degrees F
- Zone 5: -20 degrees F to -10 degrees F
- Zone 6: -10 degrees F to 0 degrees F
- Zone 7: 0 degrees F to 10 degrees F
- Zone 8: 10 degrees F to 20 degrees F
- Zone 9: 20 degrees F to 30 degrees F
- Zone 10: 30 degrees F to 40 degrees F
- Zone 11: 40 degrees F to 50 degrees F
- Zone 12: 50 degrees to 60 degrees F
- Zone 13: 60 degrees F to 70 degrees F
Support our mission and protect your health: Organic Seeds of Life combines Red Raspberry Seed Power, Black Cumin Seed Power and Red Grape Seed Powder into the most potent nutrient-rich supplemental superfood powder you’ve ever experienced. Loaded with flavonoids, antioxidants, anthocyanins, OPCs, ALA and a vast array of vital nutrients. Learn more here.
By familiarizing yourself with the hardiness zones, you’ll have a better chance of growing fruit trees that can be a source of fresh produce for your whole family.
Tips about hardiness zones
By reading up on the kind of fruit tree that you want to plant, you’ll be able to take advantage of the best planting times. This can help increase your chances of a fruitful harvest. Factors such as chill hours, dormancy periods, and hardiness all affect how well fruit trees will grow in the zone that your garden is in.
- Choose fruit trees that are suitable for the zone that you live in – Check hardiness zones and its compatibility for any fruit tree that you wish to plant so you don’t waste your time and effort by planting the wrong kind of tree. Don’t plant trees that are suited to colder zones, e.g. Zones 3 to 6, if you live in southern regions since it’s warm the whole year. Verify if a fruit tree that you’re interested in planting needs “chill hours” coupled with a dormant resting period to bloom and bear fruit. You should also skip trees that aren’t cold-hardy if you’re in a northern area with harsh winters. There’s also the option to plant fruit trees in containers so you can move them inside if they need protection from the cold.
- The best planting time depends on your hardiness zone – Timing is always crucial when it comes to gardening. Since there are different hardiness zones, many environmental factors can take place at various times. Plant in cooler weather to let dormant trees acclimate so they can “wake up” with nature. Cooler weather will also minimize the amount of water that a tree needs and lets it have a less-stressful start.
- Study your zone’s native growing conditions and use it to your advantage – Plant accordingly to maximize the growing conditions of your zone. Every hardiness zone comes with certain conditions that will influence where you can plant and how it can affect a tree. Read up on your planting zone so you can prepare for any issues that may arise when planting. Test the soil before you plant so you can make any necessary preparations for your fruit trees. Learn how to protect and winterize fruit trees if you’re located in zones that have cold winters. Lastly, read up on how to acclimate new plants and trees if you’re in a zone with prolonged cold weather in spring.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.