Paleo Skillet Strawberry Shortcake! Thick, creamy and sweet, this unbelievable dessert is about to become your new favorite treat.
One of my favorite childhood memories is making homemade strawberry shortcake with my family. We would pick fresh strawberries from Grandpa’s garden and then take them home to make a cake tower, laden with sweet berries and cream.
Admittedly, it wasn’t the healthiest of desserts, but lucky for you I have a revamped version of this classic strawberry shortcake recipe. One that’s Paleo-friendly, has no refined sugar, is dairy-free, gluten-free, and low in carbohydrates. This yummy dessert is also made in a skillet, making it a breeze to whip up!
For the cream, you’ll combine coconut cream with some tapioca to thicken it a bit. Two important things for you to note. Use coconut cream, not coconut milk. Coconut cream is much thicker than coconut milk and won’t seep into the shortcake. Also, make the coconut cream mixture 6-8 hours before the shortcake and chill. This allows the tapioca and coconut cream to thicken.
The shortcake is made with coconut flour, eggs, coconut milk, coconut oil and maple syrup (or your sweetener of choice). This batter could not be more thick, chewy and delicious! I’m already experimenting with it in other recipes, and highly recommend you do the same.
Once you combine the ingredients for the shortcake, transfer to a skillet and bake. After the shortcake cools, usually about an hour, top it with the chilled coconut cream and strawberries. Keep the shortcake in the freezer to maintain optimal freshness.
I’d be lying if I said my 8-year-old self didn’t come out while making this. It was truly delicious!
Coconut Flour Strawberry Shortcake
- For the Shortcake:
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ¼ t sea salt
- 1 t baking powder
- ½ t vanilla extract
- For the Topping:
- 1 14 oz. can coconut cream
- 2 T tapioca flour
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1 T coconut sugar
- Honey for drizzle
- Make the coconut cream 6-8 hours ahead of time by blending the coconut cream with tapioca flour and chilling. This step is important to allow the cream to thicken.
- When ready to make the shortcake, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Prepare a skillet or baking dish by greasing it with coconut oil and then set aside.
- In a small bowl, sift together the coconut flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate larger bowl, whisk the eggs with the coconut milk, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Slowly fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared skillet. It will be thick and wet. Using a spatula, spread the batter out in an even layer.
- Bake 20-22 minutes until edges are browned and cake is set. You should be able to insert a toothpick clean in the middle when done.
- Remove from the oven and cool 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- While the shortcake cools, toss the strawberries in a bowl with the coconut sugar to allow the sugar to dissolve on the berries.
- To assemble, scoop the coconut cream onto the shortcake and spread evenly. Top with strawberries and drizzle with honey as desired.
- For optimal freshness, keep in the freezer, covered.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.