Lemon bars, a classic favorite, typically have a flour-based crust with a layer of tangy, custard-like topping. Although delicious, this dessert doesn’t exactly scream “healthy.” In this version, we are taking everything you love about this lemony pastry and amping up the health benefits with a few Paleo tweaks.
The revamped crust is made using coconut flour mixed with a little bit of tapioca starch. With its light and airy texture, tapioca starch is great for countering the denseness of coconut flour. The dough should be crumbly upon mixing, but stick together when pressed into the baking sheet.
Along with some grass-fed butter and a little coconut sugar, this dough turns into a cookie-like crust once baked. Keep an eye on your crust as it can go from golden brown to burnt around the edges in a matter of minutes.
You want the crust to come to a light golden brown color but not be cooked completely. I found around 10-12 minutes was just enough time.
Love healthy recipes? Get our free paleo cookbook here!
These lemon bars are really all about the topping. A mixture of eggs, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest and tapioca starch are combined and poured onto the freshly baked crust.
Nothing beats the flavor of fresh lemon juice in dessert recipes, so don’t buy the store bought stuff. Naturally sweet and chewy coconut flakes are sprinkled on top and baked to toasty perfection. Once out of the oven, let your lemon bars set for an hour before slicing so that the topping can set.
The combination of buttery crust and tangy topping make for a mixture that dances on the taste buds.
Coconut Lemon Bars Recipe
- 1.5 cups coconut flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1.5 sticks grass-fed butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 t sea salt
FOR LEMON TOPPING:
- 4 large eggs (5 if using regular sized)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 T lemon zest
- 1/2 cup pure honey
- 2 t tapioca starch
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a 9×13 baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, combine ingredients for crust. Mix using a hand mixer or food processor until combined and crumbly.
- Press dough into baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until crust is just a light golden brown.
- While crust bakes, combine ingredients (except coconut flakes) for topping. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour topping onto crust and sprinkle with coconut flakes. Return to oven 20 minutes or until coconut is lightly toasted.
- Allow bars to cool at room temperature for 1 hour before slicing.
Tip: Paired with a hot cup of tea or coffee, I have found that these lemon bars are equally delicious served warm or chilled!
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.