Roasted sweet potato gnocchi and caramelized Brussels sprouts come together in an elegant dish that’s surprisingly easy to make!
This grain-free dish is perfect for any special occasion. The balsamic vinegar and honey infuse the Brussels sprouts with a tangy and sweet twist, while the sweet potato gnocchi are a gorgeous alternative to traditional pasta.
To start, bake the sweet potatoes until they’re tender enough to be mashed, then add the egg and the flour mix. Combine until it forms a doughy ball, then divide into manageable equal parts. If you are not using all of the dough, you can keep it refrigerated in an airtight container for up to three days or in the freezer for up to two months.
No special equipment necessary
You don’t need any special equipment to make the perfect gnocchi pillows. The real trick is to add the perfect amount of flour. The more flour you use in the gnocchi dough, the more dense it will be. So, make sure to just lightly flour the working area to avoid mixing an extra amount of flour into the dough.
Use a fork to the give the gnocchi a nice finish, or you can use a gnocchi board for a more defined effect. Let the gnocchi pillows rest in the fridge to keep shape, then bring a pot of water to a simmer and add the gnocchi. When they start to float, it means they’re almost ready, so don’t leave them too long in the water. If you are not serving them right away after cooking, dip them in an ice bath bowl to stop them from cooking further.
For the Brussels sprouts, prepare them by removing the outer dry layer and cutting the excess stem. Next, coat them with the glaze and make sure that the sprouts are dry, as this helps the glaze to stick better. Bake until caramelized, remove them from the oven, and enjoy with the sweet potato gnocchi.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
- Baking tray
- Parchment paper
- Medium bowl
For the sweet potato gnocchi:
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1½ cup tapioca flour, plus extra for dusting
- ⅛ cup coconut flour
- ½ t salt
- 1 t baking soda
- ¼ t ground allspice
- 1 egg
For balsamic Brussels sprouts:
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 1½ T extra virgin olive oil
- ½ t salt
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 t raw honey
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper (this will be for the Brussels sprouts).
- Wash sweet potatoes and prick skin with a fork several times. Wrap in foil and bake in the oven for about 60 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, salt, baking soda and ground allspice. Set aside. Lightly dust a clean work surface with some extra tapioca flour.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, let cool slightly and while warm, peel the skin off and mash using a potato masher. Let cool to room temperature, then add the flour mix and the egg to the potato; knead the dough into a smooth ball.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts, then split each ball into 8-10 smaller portions. Roll out each portion into a ¾-inch thick rope. Slice rope into 1-inch segments and score each dumpling with the tip of a fork. Repeat with the remaining dough. Place the gnocchi on a plate, cover and set in the fridge to chill, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Brussels sprouts by trimming the outer dry layer, then cut the bottom off and slice lengthwise. In a large bowl, toss Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, balsamic vinegar and honey. Transfer to prepared baking tray and bake for about 25 minutes, until tender and caramelized. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- To cook the gnocchi, bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Cook the gnocchi in batches; they are done when they float to the surface, about 90 seconds. Remove from water and toss with the balsamic glazed Brussels sprouts. Serve warm.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.