From heated, to dyed, to pulled and treated, we’ve put our beautiful tresses through much duress. But we can still achieve the same results with homemade natural hair care products.
Having strong, shiny gorgeous hair doesn’t mean we need to run out to the drug store or salon and buy the latest hair care treatment or shampoo.
With commercials and media ads luring you in through the look of perfection and banished split ends, it’s no wonder we jump on the latest hair trend or product.
The truth is, cosmetic store and salon products usually contain 30 or more synthetic ingredients – even those claiming to be natural and organic. Many of these synthetic ingredients strip the natural oils from your hair and scalp leaving your hair seriously dry. It’s also common for these products to leave behind a heavy-wax build up guaranteeing a bad hair day!
I’ll admit, I spent much of my teenage years in the drug store buying the latest shampoo and conditioner, dying and coloring my hair every 6 months and using every possible hair straightening product on the market to tame my crazy curls and frizz.
I even remember bugging my mother every other night to blow dry my hair straight because she did such a better job than I did and I wouldn’t dare go to school with my hair curly.
Oh what I’ve learned over the years! From the many chemicals and toxins I’ve exposed my delicate hair to, I’ve come a long way in caring for my curly tresses.
My bathroom is free of commercial hair care products and chemical ingredients and I wouldn’t dare to wash my hair with the latest Vidal Sassoon shampoo or Pantene pro-v hair treatment.
Today, I opt for organic oils, and chemical-free, natural hair care products (a great go-to source is Morrocco Method) along with eating a healthy hair diet full of antioxidants, minerals and friendly fats.
So if you’re looking to bring back that healthy shine, banish those split ends, ditch the dry itchy scalp and strengthen your hair, look no further! Follow this guide to natural hair care below for beautiful, healthy hair, guaranteed.
First, it’s important to be aware of chemical ingredients to avoid when shopping for shampoos, conditioners and hair care products in general. Here are 4 commonly used ingredients that our skin, our cells, and especially our hair can thrive without:
- Sulfates are in 90% of foaming and lathering products as well as in skin and hair care products as fillers. Sulfates are frequently described on labels as “comes from” or “derived from” coconut in an effort to portray them as innocuous even though they are known skin irritants, hormone and endocrine disruptors and suspected carcinogens and gene mutagens. Any chemical capable of mutating genes deserves our attention! Sulfates are among the most commonly used because they are inexpensive and effective at cutting through oil. On labels, look for sodium laureth sulfate (SLES), ammonium laureth sulfate (ALES), sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and ammonium lauryl sulfate (ALS)… and don’t be fooled by the coconut references.
- Paraben is a common preservative and one of the primary chemicals responsible for disrupting the endocrine system and unbalancing crucial hormones. On labels, paraben is often listed with the prefixes ethyl-, methyl-, propyl-, isopropyl-, butyl- or isobutyl.
- Water and water-based infusions which are called distillates or aqueous extracts, are used as fillers and are literally used to ‘fill your bottle up’ inexpensively. Water-based solutions are vulnerable to spoilage so preservatives like paraben and sodium benzoate must be added to the product. Don’t expect water quality to be high either. Your most likely looking at tap water being used, which means your products likely contain chorine and fluoride along with a multitude of other toxins.
- p-Phenylenediamine this ingredient is commonly found in hair dyes, including some natural henna dyes as well as colored shampoos and hair bleach. There is evidence of this ingredient being a neurotoxin and causing skin rashes and eczema. Many efforts to restrict its use have been defeated over and over again.
Become an Informed Shopper
- Read ingredient labels and look for companies that show complete ingredient transparency.
- Search for beauty care products at ewg.org to check for chemical and toxic rankings between companies and learn which companies provide the safest products for you and your family
- Visit thinkdirtyapp.com and upload a picture of one of your beauty care products to check for toxicity and chemical ingredients right at your fingertips! You can view over 70,000 products.
- Watch this 7-minute film on the story of cosmetics, which examines the pervasive use of toxic chemicals in our everyday personal care products, from lipstick to baby shampoo.
Eat for Beautiful Hair
Your hair is only as healthy as your body, and what you eat will have a direct impact on the health of your hair.
Be sure to include:
- Healthy fats, such as: olive oil, coconut oil, ghee, grass fed butter, avocado, chia seeds, flaxseeds, wild-caught cold water fish, walnuts and brazil nuts for shiny locks, softness and sheen. These fats contain healthy omega 3’s, which help to moisturize and lubricate hair and skin from the inside out.
- Eat enough protein. Hair is made of protein and if your diet is deficient in the full spectrum of amino acids that comprise complete proteins, then your hair will become brittle, dull and weak. Protein helps with cell renewal, repair and growth and strengthens the hair. Include: grass fed pasture raised meats, eggs or wild-caught cold water fish.
- Load up on zinc. This important mineral is essential for hair growth. Find this mineral in pumpkin seeds, spinach and oysters. Bonus – it will also gives you gorgeous skin and strong nails too!
- Get your iron. Found in pasture-raised red meat and leafy greens this mineral is also important for hair growth and strength.
When it comes to treating specific hair needs, there really is no need to spend (waste!) your money on fancy hair brands. In fact, healthy hair really starts with the health of your scalp.
Start with a Healthy Scalp
Your scalp has over 200 blood vessels and 650 sweat glands. In fact, your scalp is one of the most absorbent parts of your body. It literally acts as a sponge, making it vital to be more conscious of what you put on it.
At the base of every hair follicle, right at the scalp, are sebaceous glands. These get a bad rap as most people complain about greasy or oily hair. Chances are, if you’re using conventional hair products, your stripping the natural healthy oils from these sebaceous glands that actually help to protect, nourish and fight against infection. The more chemicals you put on your scalp, but more you harm the sebaceous glands, which in turns gets you reaching for more shampoo, conditioner, defrizzer, hair color and so on.
The root cause of many scalp issues stem from hormonal imbalances, dietary zinc deficiency, fungal infections, such as candida and even digestive and constipation issues. It’s important to address these issues, along with using more organic options for natural hair care. If you’re looking to reboot your hair health, Morrocco Method carries a great Healthy Hair Starter Package, which provides a mix of botanicals, clays and essential oils to get you started.
If you’re suffering with a dry, itchy and flaky scalp, try using rosemary or pine essential oil. You can add a few drops to your head and gently message the oils into your scalp. Both oils contain antibacterial and antifungal properties. Peppermint essential oil is very cooling and great for inflammation and helps to combat itchiness.
Weak and damaged ends can be repaired with jojoba oil, which is naturally rich in lipids and peptides and easily absorbs into the hair. Just a dab on dry hair or damaged hair ends will give your hair a healthy glow.
Argan oil also works great for dry and damaged hair. Rub a few drops onto your palm and gently run through your hair. Be sure to focus on your ends, especially if they are dry.
For super shine, rosemary essential oil has an antioxidant shown to protect a protein in the skin and hair called HSP70. The role of this protein is to reduce the damage that stress, free radicals, and other toxins can do to cells. Rosemary oil will give you smoother, stronger hair strands, which
makes hair look reflective and shiny. Lime oil, as well as all pure citrus oils, dissolve and release trapped dirt and oils and renew the luster to clean locks.
Alternatively, you can add a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a spray bottle with warm water and keep this in your bathroom to spritz on hair after you’ve shampooed. Vinegar will help restore pH and add shine.
To combat dandruff, look no further than coconut oil. The lauric acid found in coconut oil has many antibacterial and antifungal properties that help to fight dandruff. Massage a few tablespoons onto your scalp and leave on for a few hours. Repeat 2-3 times throughout the week depending on the severity of your dandruff.
DIY Natural Shampoos
Now that you’re committing to ditching your toxin filled conventional shampoo, you can easily make your own.
Lemon or Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
These two cleansers are very commonly used for natural hair care as both do a wonderful job of cleansing impurities and conditioning hair. Mix either the juice of one lemon or two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of warm water and rinse through hair then comb through. You can use this on it’s own or after shampooing for extra cleansing and conditioning. I highly suggest giving your locks a break for 2 weeks from all shampoo and strictly stick to just using this rinse to help balance out pH levels of the scalp.
Baking Soda Shampoo
Seems like baking soda can really do everything! Mix 1 tablespoon into 1 cup of warm water, pour over hair, rinse and comb through. You’ll help to rid the scalp of impurities and gently cleanse your locks.
Arrowroot Dry Shampoo
If you’re giving your hair a break from traditional shampoo and conditioner, this dry shampoo is great for absorbing excess oil. Gently sprinkle arrowroot onto hair and massage into scalp. Then brush or pat out excess. You can also mix it with a little bit of cocoa powder or cinnamon for darker hair.
DIY Natural Conditioner
There are many simple and cost effective ingredients you can use at home (literally, from your kitchen) to make a nourishing conditioner:
Mash up 1 avocado and mix it with 1-tablespoon coconut oil and smooth onto hair. Leave on for at least 30 minutes, or up to 4 hours. Then, rinse and comb through. You can also use the avocado on its own or alternatively, combine with 2 tablespoons of raw honey.
I love this method! Drench hair in ¼ cup of either jojoba oil, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil or sweet almond oil. You can leave this on for a few hours and wrap your hair in a towel or you can wrap your hair in a plastic bag and leave on overnight. Either way, rinse your hair with the baking soda shampoo recipe above then comb through for soft and luscious locks! I personally like to warm the oil on the stove then pour over and massage in to my hair.
Using more natural oils that don’t strip your hair and help balance out the pH of your scalp will lead to more lustrous beautiful hair. You’ll find you can manage your hair better and won’t need much styling product.
Taking the time to include a weekly hot oil treatment can do wonders for your hair, especially during the wintertime when hair tends to be drier.
Make the commitment to switch to more natural hair care methods and not only will your hair improve, but you’ll be supporting your health overall by eliminating toxins and chemicals found in many conventional brands. Your skin, your hair and your cells will thank you for it!
A quick note from our founder-
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That's right -- as a special launch promotion, we're offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) -- All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
To begin, I apologize for the dark nature of today's email.
However I promise what you'll discover today will be completely worth it.
Imagine a rotting corpse draped over your body from head to toe...
...suffocating tissue, restricting blood flow, damaging joints and infecting your healthy cells.
Shockingly, that nightmare is a reality for most:
64% of women and 74% of men carry too much body fat according to the National Institutes of Health.
It's choking their organs, assaulting their metabolism and sucking their energy dry.
But here's the worst part:
For most, this bodyfat has become "calorie-resistant":
It's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
This zombie fat is essentially... "dead tissue".
That's important for those who have 10, 25 or 50 or more pounds to lose...
AND for those who aren't technically overweight, but have what's called "pocket obesity"...
...unsightly patches of fat that cling to specific places, like:
just above your hips, lower belly, where your butt and legs meet... and even arms, neck and face.
However, there's good news:
Obesity researchers have now discovered a "metabolic jumper cable":
It jolts dead bodyfat back to life.
This allows your metabolism to burn it as calories and re-energize your entire body.
First though, here's the #1 reason why bodyfat becomes calorie-resistant:
It lacks blood flow. This has 3 effects:
- Not enough oxygen or nutrients reach fat cells, so they become unresponsive..
- Released fat can't be sent to other tissues to be burned, so fat cells suck it back in...
- 3) Metabolic hormones carrying the "burn calories" message don't reach the fat cell...
All this means one thing:
Your body can't transform into energy, the 135,000+ of calories the average person stores as fat!
You become a metabolic zombie: NO energy to think. NO energy to move. NO energy to motivate.
Update: calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
The discovery of this "metabolic jumper cable" can now reverse this process:
- It wakes up un-responsive bodyfat with a powerful calorie-burning hormonal jolt....
- It pops open fat cells, sucks out the fat, sending it off before its yanked back in...
- It shuttles fat to your brain, heart, lungs, kidneys - even your bones - to be burned as energy.
Not only do those layers of "zombie fat" start coming off, but your entire body just works better.
Plus, as your whole body burns more calories, those patches of pocket obesity whittle away.
This "metabolic jumper cable" isn't any exercise, machine or pill.
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive.
It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know.
And on this next page, you'll find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
PS - Studies show that not only can healthy levels of this powerful calorie-burning hormone devour bodyfat and fortify soft muscle, but it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat.
This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
P.S. Make sure you check out the next page to get to know the 10 simple moves that will bring vitality back into your life!
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video. He's going to be the talk of 2016.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
Is Bread Really the Staff of Life… or the Stuff of Disease?
For most us, there are few foods more comforting than bread.
Fluffy biscuits, crusty baguettes, flaky croissants… even a simple slice of toast topped with melted butter can taste like heaven.
And that smell… few scents are quite as pleasant as fresh bread baking in the oven.
But there is a lot of confusion as to where bread fits into a healthy diet.
The Bible practically commands followers to eat it: “Give us this day our daily bread…” The government put it at the base of the food pyramid. And for centuries, it has been called “the staff of life.”
Of course, there are some who disagree…
Well-known cardiologist, Dr. William Davis, calls wheat “the perfect chronic poison.”
And for a poison, we sure eat lots of it…
The average American consumes 55 pounds of wheat flour every year, making refined flour the #1 source of calories in the American Diet – a situation that nutrition expert Chris Kresser describes as, “a public health catastrophe.”
So, what is the truth about bread and wheat?
- Is it the perfect poison… or an essential daily food?
- Is “gluten-free” bread better for you than regular bread?
- And can you still eat bread… while maintaining a lean body and optimal health?
The answers to these questions may surprise you!
Be sure to read #5 – the biggest surprise of all!
Recently, Doctor of Naturopathy, weight-loss expert and best-selling Amazon author Liz Swann Miller, creator of the Red Smoothie Detox Factor, revealed 2 of the secrets to easy, steady weight loss. Secrets the big food corporations do their best to hide from us.
Secret #1: Enjoy real food. Don’t fall for the lie that you have to deprive yourself to lose weight.
Secret #2: stop eating out. You will automatically eat less without even noticing.
Then start detoxing your body with tasty, nourishing smoothies that are just as easy on your wallet as they are easy to make.
Because a single day of enjoying Liz’ smoothies demonstrated the radical power of her superfood-packed red smoothies to make me feel incredibly good.
Now prepare yourself for one of the biggest weight loss secrets there is. A secret that, when you use it properly, can transform your body and your health.
You probably know most of us eat too much processed food. What you may not know is that it’s full of toxic chemicals and substandard, dirt-cheap ingredients designed to make you eat more…and force you to gain weight.
Here’s how it works.
“That stuff is just a lot of calories your body can’t use,” Liz told me, “Some are poison. And all these foods are stripped of the anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that help your body detox. The result? Your body expends huge amounts of calories to eliminate some toxins—the rest, it stores in your fat to protect you. This is why most people are hungry all the time. They’re not getting energy they need.”
“So… what’s going on with me? Why am I losing weight but not going hungry?”
Liz paused, then dropped the bombshell.
Your body is designed to burn fat. You just have to let it.
“What? I thought we were designed to store fat?!?” We were Skyping and I was practically shouting. Then I heard Liz say…
What good is a fat reserve if you can’t burn it?
Liz continued: “You’re drinking smoothies packed with phytonutrients, anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that pull toxins out of you like a tractor beam. Allowing your body to burn those toxin-filled fat stores… and releasing tremendous amounts of stored energy.”
So that’s why I’m losing weight without going hungry.
Watch Liz’ free presentation. It’s packed with revolutionary weight loss information—information that works. Because it’s based on how nature.
Click the button only if you want to wear smaller clothes, breathe easier, move more freely and just plain feel better.
- Which calories help you lose weight…and which ones help you gain it…
- The “diet” foods…some of them vegetables…that lead to weight gain and diabetes…
- The “low-fat” foods that can dramatically increase your risk of cancer.
- And the superfoods that rescue your body from this assault by detoxing you…
Revitalizing your metabolism so you can Shed pounds as well as toxins, renew your body and reset your internal clock by up to 7 years.
Because until now, the Red Smoothie Detox Factor has been available only to Liz’ private clients. But now that she’s perfected it to work for almost everyone, almost every time, Liz is sharing it with rest of us so we can feel better and look better.
Get Red Smoothie Detox Factor before the price goes back up.
Because Liz offers a ridiculously good guarantee. You have 60 days to decide you love the Red Smoothie Detox Factor. If you don’t love it—for any reason, or even no reason at all —Liz will refund your money. 100%. No questions asked.
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.