Earth’s rainforests are in danger, be it from logging or farming. It’s important that we protect these beautiful environments intact.
Here are 50 fascinating facts about the rainforest:
- Rainforests provide us with 40% of the oxygen we breathe. I like breathing a lot, personally.
- Rainforests receive 12 hours of sunlight a day (being predominantly equatorial)
- The average rainfall in the rainforest is 200 centimeters a year. That’s a lot of rain!
- The rainforest is typically between 20 and 35 degrees Celsius.
- The Blue Morpho butterfly, which travels through all the layers of the rainforest and flies high enough to be seen by pilots, lives for 115 days.
- You can travel through the rainforest of Australia in a cable car. At least for 7.5 kilometers.
- The tallest trees in the rainforest grow to about 150 feet.
- The harpy eagle grows to weigh about 20 pounds. It’s strong enough to lift prey like monkeys and macaws.
- The average male orangutan can grow to be 220 pounds.
- A single hectare of the rainforest contains 200 species on average.
- Some butterflies get huge, with wingspans as big as 8 inches.
- The flying lemur can glide for up to 230 feet. I wish I could do that!
- Each canopy tree releases about 760 liters of water into the atmosphere.
- More species live in the canopy of the rainforest than elsewhere.
- The rainforest canopy is about 20 feet thick.
- Some creatures live their whole lives in the canopy, never touching the ground.
- Some canopy trees are able to produce 120,000 fruit per year. Yum!
- Each type of tree in the canopy supports about 30 different species of insect.
- The average sloth sleeps for a total of ten hours. What a life!
- Scientists found 950 different beetles in a single tree in the rainforest of Panama. Nice.
- The Kinkajou, or honeybear, has a tongue that grows to be 12.5 cm long.
- At most, only 15% of the sun’s light reaches the shrub level of the rainforest.
- “Bioprospecting” was a term given to the act of going into the rainforest with the intent of finding plants for food, medication and cosmetics.
- It takes 10-15 years to identify a rainforest plant as useful to humanity.
- There are 150 different species of butterfly under the canopy of the rainforest.
- The shrub level of the rainforest is where chocolate comes from.
- There are more than 2500 species of vine that grows in the rainforest.
- Banana trees reach 15 feet tall in the under-canopy and are a great source of food for animals.
- Many common houseplants are native to the rainforest. That’s part of why they thrive in our dim homes.
- 70% of cancer fighting plants are from the rainforest.
- Even though canopy trees are tall, they can often only spread their roots 30 feet.
- Only 2% of the sun’s light reaches the rainforest floor.
- 10% of the world’s animals can be found in the rainforest.
- A bromeliad can hold 12 gallons of water in its leaves.
- There are 30 million humans in the rainforest.
- The world’s smallest frog, in the rainforest of Papua New Guinea is 7mm.
- 10 people have been killed by the golden dart frog.
- The average humidity level in the rainforest is 77-88%. Muggy!
- The giant millipede can grow to be a good long. Yikes!
- 6% of the Earth’s land surface is rainforest.
- It takes 1-2 years for the forest floor to be farmed on after deforestation.
- The Mbuti people of the African rainforest grow only to 5 feet tall. This enables them to move quickly through the rainforest.
- There are hundreds of species that live beneath the soil of the rainforest.
- The rainforest’s soil is red due to high aluminum and iron content.
- Roots in the rainforest are incredibly shallow.
- The Goliath bird eating spider’s legspan is 1.12 inches. It burrows beneath the soil of the rainforest.
- The Amazon rainforest is thought to have the largest caves on Earth.
- Many rainforest caves are unexplored. Their biodiversity undiscovered.
- There are 3,000 species of fish in the Amazon river alone.
- 20% of the world’s fresh water is contained in the amazon.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.