For years, I saw Vick’s Vapor Rub on the shelves at the store, but never really knew what all the hype was about. You see, growing up my mom used Tiger Balm when I needed something soothing for my chest at night – or for tired muscles or really anything because Tiger Balm was used for EVERYTHING – but that’s a whole other story.
So when I had my first son, I was like, “OH! I get it now! Vapor Rub is a must-have for kiddos in the winter!” But once I started looking at the ingredients, I knew it wasn’t something I really wanted to use on my kids. In particular, I questioned the use of petroleum (which we avoid) and artificial fragrance (which I know can lead to respiratory issues) in Vick’s Vapor Rub.
That’s when I started learning about essential oils and made my own DIY Vapor Rub with all-natural ingredients and no artificial fragrances. It’s so easy – like you can do this in 5-10 minutes – and you just need a few ingredients.
About the Ingredients
- Coconut oil is the carrier oil for the recipe that helps the skin to absorb the essential oils. It’s the base of the recipe.
- Beeswax helps to firm up the coconut oil so it’s more of a salve or balm consistency. Depending on where you live, coconut oil will be in liquid form so beeswax helps to firm up the consistency. Beeswax is also a barrier cream for the skin – and way better than petroleum jelly as a barrier cream for the skin.
There are so many essential oils (where to buy) that work well in this DIY All-Natural Vapor Rub recipe. These are just some of my favorite. Do take note that eucalyptus and peppermint are best on children ages 10 and older. For younger children, opt for lavender and frankincense instead.
- Lavender – great for all ages, including young children
- Cedarwood – great for all ages, including young children
- Frankincense – great for all ages, including young children
- Cypress – great for all ages, including young children
- Eucalyptus – best for ages 10 and older (this is one of the main ingredients in Vick’s Vapor Rub)
- Peppermint – best for ages 10 and older (this is one of the main ingredients in Vick’s Vapor Rub)
- RC (a blend from Young Living with eucalyptus globulus, myrtle, marjoram, pine, eucalyptus radiata, eucalyptus citriodora, lavender, cypress, black spruce and peppermint essential oils) – best for ages 10 and older
This recipe calls for 1/4 cup carrier oil, so I’m going to help you convert this so you can easily see how much essential oils to add. If you’re in doubt, please talk to a health care provider and do your own research.
1/4 cup carrier oil = 12 tsp
For example, if you choose to add Frankincense, Cedarwood and Lavender to your DIY Vapor Rub and want to use it for a 5 year old child, then use a 0.5% dilution – which is 6 drops TOTAL (perhaps 2 drops each Frankincense, Cedarwood and Lavender) in 12 tsp carrier oil (as this recipe calls for).
- Adults – 2% dilution ratio (24 drops essential oil in 12 tsp of carrier oil)
- Kids 10 and older – 1% dilution ratio (12 drops essential oil in 12 tsp carrier oil)
- Kids 3-9 – 0.5% dilution ratio (6 drops essential oil in 12 tsp carrier oil)
- Kids 2-4 – 0.25% dilution ratio (3 drops essential oil in 12 tsp carrier oil)
- Babies and kids under 2 – refer to the Gentle Babies book by Debra Rayburn for details
- Use a double boiler on low heat to melt all ingredients, except essential oils.
- Remove from heat once melted, add essential oils and stir well.
- Pour into 4 oz jar and let cool.
- DIY All-Natural Vapor Rub will be ready to use in about an hour once it’s completely cooled.
How to Use
For adults and children ages 3 and up, use a small dollop and warm up in your hands. Rub on the chest and back, as well as bottom of the feet.
For children ages 2-4, use a small dollop and warm in your hands. Rub on the bottom of the feet.
Breakfast, blood sugar, & inflammation
Recent research has shown that Inflammation is responsible for 7 out of 10 Deaths in the United States. But it doesn’t have to be the same way for you.
In fact, in a fairly short amount of time, you could start to experience better sleep…less stomach issues…more energy and stamina…less muscle and joint pain…a drop in weight…lower stress levels…and much, much more!
Learn how to Prevent—Even Reverse—Most Major Diseases by “Turning Off” Inflammation!
Did you know that one of the best times to stretch is right before bed? However…
What stretches should you do? Here’s a 1-minute stretch routine you can do before bed...
Lisa, Yoga Coach
eatlocalgrown / wisemindhealthybody
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!
Did you know that your bodyfat can become "calorie-resistant"?
True. And it's completely unaffected by even the strictest diets... and most intense exercises.
However, there's good news- Calorie-resistant bodyfat can be now removed...
It's a little-known, calorie-burning hormone we all have... just waiting for the right spark to come alive. It's not thyroid, leptin, ghrelin, insulin, adiponectin, HGH or any other "fat loss" hormone you may know. Read more to find out precisely how to unleash its calorie-burning power:
To your health!
PS - Studies show that it can also reduce your risk of diabetes by 53.7%, a heart attack by 83.3% and stroke by 51.4%. Here's more of the scientific proof...
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat. This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
In April, 2009, researchers stunned the medical community when they reported chronic inflammation as the root cause of several major diseases.
See, every year 610,000 people in the U.S. die of heart disease. Cancer claims another 584,000...stroke 130,000...Alzheimer's disease nearly 85,000 — and the list goes on.
Truth is, we now know... chronic inflammation is responsible for 7 out of the top 10 leading causes of death in the United States! Hundreds of studies and scientific reviews prove it.
Fortunately, newer research shows you can prevent-even reverse-most major diseases by "turning off" inflammation. And in our new book, we show you how to do just that.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a debilitating condition-and you"re not sure what the culprit is-now's the time to find out...while you can still do something about it!
--> Grab your FREE copy of this groundbreaking soft cover book today (while supplies still last.)
Over the past year, my friend Dave over at PaleoHacks has been working on a super secret cookbook project with our good friend Peter Servold a Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef and owner of Pete's Paleo...
And today, this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
The cookbook is called Paleo Eats, and it's filled with over 80 chef created, insanely tasty Paleo recipes which means they are free from gluten, soy, dairy, and refined sugar.
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because they only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
Sponsored Health Resources
In the years that I've been working on this website project I've come across some amazing resources by some very special people. I'd like to share them with you here.
NOTE: I update these links often so please check back to see what's new!
1) Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy right? Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
2) Forget what you've read about 10-day lemonade cleanses, 7-day detoxes with green juices and Gwyneth's gruel. All you need to do, and this is perfect for Saturday or or anytime really, is a simple 1-day cleanse.
3) This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
4) I thought it was virtually impossible for a website to be able to tell me anything even a little bit insightful after only submitting my name and date of birth... I was wrong!
5) Turmeric is amazing. The problem is - It's hard to absorb!
6) Wonder why your stomach still sticks out even though you're hammering the core exercises every day? It's a common myth that bulging belly is due to weak abdominal muscles.
7) Even if you're the most active of athletes, you may still suffer from tight hip flexors due to the amount of time you spend each day planted to a chair.
Enjoy! Let me know how these work out for you. And if you run across anything I've missed please let me know.