Here’s a great pumpkin banana bread recipe to get you into the mood for Fall! I really like that this recipes uses coconut milk and avocado oil- super healthy alternatives to the standard recipe.
The bright orange color of pumpkin is a dead giveaway that pumpkin is loaded with an important antioxidant, beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is one of the plant carotenoids converted to vitamin A in the body. In the conversion to vitamin A, beta carotene performs many important functions in overall health.
Current research indicates that a diet rich in foods containing beta-carotene may reduce the risk of developing certain types of cancer and offers protect against heart disease. Beta-carotene offers protection against other diseases as well as some degenerative aspects of aging.
Making Your Own Pumpkin Puree
Of course you can buy pumpkin in a can. But why? Making your own pumpkin puree is super easy!
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Cut the pumpkin in half, stem to base. Remove seeds and pulp. Cover each half with foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven, foil side up, 1 hour, or until tender.
- Scrape pumpkin meat from shell halves and puree in a blender. Strain to remove any remaining stringy pieces.
Pumpkin Banana Bread Recipe – Gluten Free
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
Yield: 12 slices
- 2 C gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 C light brown sugar
- 1/2 C chopped walnuts
- 1/3 C avocado oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 C unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 C pumpkin puree
- 1/2 C mashed banana
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with non-tick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Break up any large brown sugar clumps, and stir in the walnuts.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, coconut milk, pumpkin, banana, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.