This recipe uses only coconut flour, which is high in fiber and protein and is easy on the stomachs of those intolerant of wheat. This recipe is paleo-friendly and keeps you full without feeling like you need to go back to bed!
Coconut Flour Health Benefits
Coconut flour is growing in popularity as more people discover the many health benefits of coconut flour nutrition, in addition to its many uses as a delicious, gluten-free, and healthy alternative to other flours.
What do you need to know about coconut flour nutrition? Coconut flour is high in fiber, protein, and healthy fats and is free from wheat and other grains. It is also low in sugar, digestible carbohydrates and calories, and has a low score on the glycemic index.
This makes coconut flour a favorite amongst paleo dieters, gluten free eaters including those with Celiac Disease or a gluten sensitivity, those with digestive problems like leaky gut syndrome, anyone with a nut allergy, those with diabetes, vegetarians, and just about everyone else in between.
Coconut flour is made from ground and dried coconut meat. Once the outer green husk of a coconut is removed, what remains inside is the rich, inner white lining which is the coconut meat.
Coconut flour is not actually “flour” in the way we normally think of it; it contains zero grains, zero nuts, and is made completely of pure coconut. Flour can be made from many things including nuts, seeds, dried vegetables, and of course coconut meat.
Coconut meat is the white, firm part of the coconut that you would find if you cracked open the fresh coconut and scraped out the insides, but this needs to have its milk separated in order to produce the dry “flour”’. Once the meat is strained and separated from the coconut’s milk, it is baked at a low temperature to dry it out and create a powdery flour made entirely of coconut.
[health benefits via Dr. Josh Axe]
Coconut Flour Pancake Recipe
For the Pancakes
2 pastured eggs
¼ cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon olive oil (or 2 tablespoons melted organic butter)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
For the Blueberry Topping
1/2 cup fresh or frozen organic blueberries
2 tablespoons honey
½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Start by preparing your blueberry topping, as it can simmer while making the pancake batter. In a small saucepan over low heat, add the blueberries and honey and cover with a lid. If you are using fresh blueberries, add about a tablespoon of water. After about 3 minutes, checks on the blueberries – once juices begin to seep out, add the cinnamon and stir well. Cover again and continue to heat blueberries for about 10 to 15 minutes, checking occasionally. The topping is ready when the juices formed are syrupy and the blueberries are plump and hot. If you’re looking for thick syrup, simply mash the blueberries with a fork while they are cooking in the saucepan. This time, I kept the blueberries whole. Once ready, remove from heat and leave the cover on to keep warm.
- While blueberries are on the stove, prepare pancake batter. In a mixing bowl, combine all wet ingredients and beat together. Add the coconut flour, baking powder and salt and continue to mix until all clumps are smoothed out and you’re left with a very thick batter. If you are using a mixer, you might need to scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to get the coconut flour fully integrated. Allow batter to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-low. Once warm, spread a dollop of butter evenly over the skillet. Using a spoon or rubber spatula, portion out about a third of the batter and shape it into a pancake on the skillet. Coconut flour pancakes need to be manipulated more than the standard all-purpose flour pancakes, as coconut flour tends to hold its shape. (Note: If your pancakes begin to melt around the edges, it is because there is not enough coconut flour in your batch. Add more coconut flour a teaspoon at a time until the batter stays together on the skillet.)
- Repeat this step for the remaining 2/3 of the batter (this recipe makes 3 medium-sized pancakes), giving each pancake plenty of space for flipping. Allow pancakes to sit on the skillet for about 7 to 10 minutes (yup, that’s how long these bad boys need before flipping). Carefully work a large spatula under each pancake and gently flip (it is easy to “break” coconut pancakes, so the flipping process is the most difficult part about this recipe). Allow the pancakes to cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes then remove from heat.
- Top pancakes with the blueberry topping and confectioner’s sugar (you know…to make them pretty) . If you are looking for more sweetness: drizzle, honey or pure maple syrup over the tops of the cakes.
Re-Energize your metabolism...
Absolutely original, there's nothing else like TEA BURN on the market.
Tea BURN is a brand new, fully safe and natural, proprietary, patent-pending formula. When you combine it with your favorite cup of tea, it can vastly increase energy and optimize the performance of your metabolism.
Scorch off fat from your problem areas and experience wonderful energy all day long!
Top Stories for Saturday, June 25
Announcing Tea BURN
Tea BURN is a brand new, fully safe and natural, proprietary, patent-pending formula. When you combine it with your favorite cup of tea, it can vastly increase both energy and optimize the performance of your metabolism.
And it does this while immediately increasing your energy, your health, and your overall constitution at the same time.
Absolutely original, there's nothing else like TeaBurn on the market.
Literally, tens of thousands of everyday women and men are proof that using TeaBurn will help...
Re-Energize your metabolism...
Scorch off fat from your problem areas...
Experience wonderful energy all-day long...
And an overall upgrade to your health...
It's straightforward, easy, and 100% guaranteed.
To use, just add a fast-dissolving, tasteless packet of Tea Burn to your favorite cup of tea...
Stop Snoring in 3 Minutes - Starting Tonight
...easy, 3-minute exercise that completely cured his horrendous snoring! We can both finally sleep!
Today is a good day. Tonight will be even better. Why?
Because you're about to learn easy throat exercises that cure (not just treated) your stubborn snoring – in 3 minutes – starting TONIGHT!
...even if straps, sprays and even torturing CPAP masks have failed you in the past.
Most people heal their snoring in just a few minutes per day using these powerful throat exercises. And they're so easy, you can do them, regardless of your age or physical shape.
Use them anytime, anywhere... even while stuck in traffic or watching TV.
Plus the results are permanent!